Michigan spring game condensed game (from Fox)

39 minutes ago, Texas fan in Georgia said:

If orji is their guy do you see the defense performing better against dual threat QBs? With better edge play I’d think so, but the secondary seems like it’s gonna be the achillles heel of the defense this year

The secondary definitely has work to do. They don’t lack the talent though. Hopefully it comes together for  the secondary guys soon. 

Any secondary issues Texas has might be helped by Michigan’s offense. They attempted one pass longer than 20 yards in the first half. Everything else was a hitch, slant, or screen within 10 yards of the LOS. 

2 hours ago, Texas fan in Georgia said:

If orji is their guy do you see the defense performing better against dual threat QBs? With better edge play I’d think so, but the secondary seems like it’s gonna be the achillles heel of the defense this year

If the secondary is the issue for the FOURTH year in a row the combo of terry and gideon aren’t gonna be here come this time next year and shouldn’t. 

Edited by NothinButDaHorns34
  • Hook 'Em 1

In baseball there was a coaching fix for us as 11 year olds judging fly balls: Always take three steps BACK on any ball in the air, then judge it.  If one did not have Willie Mays' instincts it still protected against misjudging a long ball.

I did not play football.  Is there some analogous coaching fix for DBs that doesn't rely on the DB's speed, change of direction, and instincts?  Or is constant practice the only real way to develop proper response?

What would a different set of DB coaches do?

Asking, because I simply don't know.

I think in the spring game, since the defense had been burned by the running game in practice, the safeties were instructed to stop the run first. This resulted in them playing too close to the line of scrimmage and not staying back to defend deep threats of receivers going downfield. 

I think the talent is definitely there and the scheme will be adjusted. It is really childish to hear these not very knowledgeable fans say the coaches are to blame for everything though the talent is extraordinary. Adjustments will be made. End of story. 

🤘🏻🤘🏼🤘🤘🏽🤘🏾🤘🏿

Edited by Burnt Orange Horn

10 minutes ago, MarkInAustin said:

What would a different set of DB coaches do?

Based on the problems the secondary has experienced the past three years, you'd want DB coaches that can teach consistent communication and proper technique for various situations, alignments, angles, etc. I will say that reports on the DBs this spring were quite positive until the actual spring game. There's a good chance that the mix and match element of the game created most of the problems. However, it's not unreasonable to say the coaches should have the guys prepared to play in various personnel groups. You don't want to overreact, but these are the same problems, so you can't help but be concerned.

• Hook 'Em 1