Favorite all time Longhorn

Gerry brought up the subject of all time favorite Longhorn this afternoon. I was curious what others thought. I am old so my top three in no particular order are James Street, Jim Bertelsen and Roosevelt Leaks. Marty Akins is up there too. 

For football, I loved me some Ricky, but Major was the first player I remember actively rooting for in a positional battle. Loved his clutch genes... And the fact he fueled every scrawny white boy's "if he can do it, maybe I can too" dreams! 

But DJ was the first player that made me love watching defense. I dug me some Vasher as well. 

For basketball, probably TJ Ford. Dude had an incredible feel for the game. PJ Tucker's effort/hustle on the court was always fun to watch. 

Baseball - probably Huston Street. Dude was lights out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

David, I, too, am ancient. My freshman (Fall ‘65) year I roomed in Moore-Hill.  When I’d leave for class out the back door,  Tommy Nobis would frequently be sitting on the steps with several other teammates. He remains one of my all time favorites.

Then, James Street came along to pull us out of the doldrums the fall I headed for UTMB - 1st quarterback for the wishbone (I’ll always remember that clutch 4th down pass to Randy Peschel at Arkansas to win the National Title - I’d driven back to Austin to watch on TV c friends) - and a hell of a baseball pitcher, as well.  

And of course, the Tyler Rose - Earl Campbell.  But so many other greats since then