🥎 Softball Super Regionals Thread 🥎

Softball has an umpire problem that they need to fix.  Either give coaches more challenges or let them keep challenges if they are upheld.  Almost every game I have watched has some horribly obvious missed calls that required challenges and coaches are often out of challenges by the 4th inning or earlier.

A few examples from this weekend

1. Mike White had to use challenges on obvious missed calls that should have been resolved by the 4 umps on the field instead of having to use a challenge.

2. The A$M coach had to use a challenge on the ground ball "triple play" that was fouled off the batters foot.  It was obvious that happened, yet the four blind mice missed it and required A$M coach to make the challenge.

3. LSU got screwed on the ground ball that I believe hit the runner.  They didn't review that, but they should have used a crew chief review (unless those aren't allowed until 6th inning and if not, why not?).  It would have been the third out and 1-0 Stanford.  Instead, Stanford scored 6 more runs with two outs.  NOTE:  There were questionable calls in both directions, but this one was huge.

The questionable umpiring has been hard to stomach, even in games in which I'm not emotionally invested.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, southpaw said:

Softball has an umpire problem that they need to fix.  Either give coaches more challenges or let them keep challenges if they are upheld.  Almost every game I have watched has some horribly obvious missed calls that required challenges and coaches are often out of challenges by the 4th inning or earlier.

A few examples from this weekend

1. Mike White had to use challenges on obvious missed calls that should have been resolved by the 4 umps on the field instead of having to use a challenge.

2. The A$M coach had to use a challenge on the ground ball "triple play" that was fouled off the batters foot.  It was obvious that happened, yet the four blind mice missed it and required A$M coach to make the challenge.

3. LSU got screwed on the ground ball that I believe hit the runner.  They didn't review that, but they should have used a crew chief review (unless those aren't allowed until 6th inning and if not, why not?).  It would have been the third out and 1-0 Stanford.  Instead, Stanford scored 6 more runs with two outs.  NOTE:  There were questionable calls in both directions, but this one was huge.

The questionable umpiring has been hard to stomach, even in games in which I'm not emotionally invested.

I thought it hit her to but I noticed every time they challenge they just stick with ruling on the field anyways which is pretty frustrating 

Edited by Daniel Lovell

1 minute ago, Daniel Lovell said:

I thought it hit her to but I noticed every time they challenge they just stick with ruling on the field anyways which is pretty frustrating 

They overturned the ones that Price and the A$M coach challenged in game 1.  I didn't count them all, and bang-bang play challenges will be iffy.  But some of these calls are so horrid that it's impossible to believe all 4 umps missed the calls.  The foul off Trinity Cannon's foot was so obvious it never should have needed to be challenged by A$M.

2 minutes ago, southpaw said:

They overturned the ones that Price and the A$M coach challenged in game 1.  I didn't count them all, and bang-bang play challenges will be iffy.  But some of these calls are so horrid that it's impossible to believe all 4 umps missed the calls.  The foul off Trinity Cannon's foot was so obvious it never should have needed to be challenged by A$M.

I agree and I don’t understand why they don’t get the challenge back doesn’t make sense to me