BYU students asked to remove "HORNS DOWN"

https://www.instagram.com/p/C2nozwyP9MB/?igsh=bHJiZW5oajlmMmE3

Texas is catching a lot of beef on social media for apparently requesting that the BYU students remove the shirts spelling out Horns Down.

Personally, I think it's part of the fabric of college sports and requesting them to remove it is petty. I hope the directive didn't come from Terry, or anyone affiliated with Texas. All this is going to do is stoke the fire and every fan base moving forward will pile on...

Am I in the minority here?

• Hook 'Em 3

I agree with you.  Pretty much no Longhorn cares about someone doing a horns down.  I think if Texas turns it around like some have suggested into a secondary gesture (mess with the bull, you get the horns pointed down) then it'll be a forgotten thing.

Something like horns up to start the games, horns down on attack mode, horns back up to finish the game.

• Hook 'Em 5

Word out of BYU is that BYU officials cracked down on Horns Down because it represented behavior not befitting their fine institution. 

It is funny to me how our new and very temporary conference brothers at Cincinnati, UCF, and BYU (UH excluded since they remember us from the SWC) are fascinated by the Horns Down phenomenon. It's too bad that we won't be gracing them with our presence after this year.

As for how we will survive in the SEC, I went to the game in Tuscaloosa and saw more Horns Downs than I had ever before. Somehow we still won the game by double digits.

• Hook 'Em 4

19 minutes ago, Scott Luedecke said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/C2nozwyP9MB/?igsh=bHJiZW5oajlmMmE3

Texas is catching a lot of beef on social media for apparently requesting that the BYU students remove the shirts spelling out Horns Down.

Personally, I think it's part of the fabric of college sports and requesting them to remove it is petty. I hope the directive didn't come from Terry, or anyone affiliated with Texas. All this is going to do is stoke the fire and every fan base moving forward will pile on...

Am I in the minority here?

I could care less about Horns Down.

I thought BYU officials are the ones who banned it, not Texas. For the love of all that is holy, I hope Texas didn't get offended by that.

• Hook 'Em 6

Fans can do it all day. I don't care since they are obviously too stupid to come up something original.

As far as players go, I think it is unsportsmanlike, I know I'm an old grey beard. I do remember a UT player getting penalized for doing a guns up at Lubbock, so what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Bobby Burton said:

I could care less about Horns Down.

I thought BYU officials are the ones who banned it, not Texas. For the love of all that is holy, I hope Texas didn't get offended by that.

The truth is only an obstacle in the way of a narrative.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Baron said:

Fans can do it all day. I don't care since they are obviously too stupid to come up something original.

As far as players go, I think it is unsportsmanlike, I know I'm an old grey beard. I do remember a UT player getting penalized for doing a guns up at Lubbock, so what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

it is only unsportsmanlike if it is face of a Longhorn player and deserves an actual taunting penalty, otherwise its just all part of the fun.

imho

Edited by Shawn Strayhorn
imho
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Shawn Strayhorn said:

it is only unsportsmanlike if it is face of a Longhorn player and deserves an actual taunting penalty, otherwise its just all part of the fun.

Yeah, I get that, but as i said a Texas player (i think it was Marquise Goodwin) got flagged when he housed a punt and mocked the tech fans by doing a guns up.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Baron said:

Yeah, I get that, but as i said a Texas player (i think it was Marquise Goodwin) got flagged when he housed a punt and mocked the tech fans by doing a guns up.

That penalty was stupid as well, he was having fun and enjoying the moment. 

I think part of reality is that most other schools dont have anything near as iconic as the 'horns up' hand gesture , so it is easy for others to lock onto it and try utilize it as a unifier. Either way, I think we should take pride in fact that every fan base in nation recognizes horns up/down

• Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, Baron said:

I think it stemmed from Mike Davis doing a holster motion after a TD and getting flagged for taunting.  Mack Brown said in a post game interview that it shouldn't have been a taunting penalty if horns down isn't a penalty.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, HookemTexas said:

I think it stemmed from Mike Davis doing a holster motion after a TD and getting flagged for taunting.  Mack Brown said in a post game interview that it shouldn't have been a taunting penalty if horns down isn't a penalty.

Your memory is better than mine. lol

• Thanks 1

This stems from Coach Terry's problem with it during the UCF game, I believe. Teams know he's soft when it comes to that, so they're trying to get in his head. I doubt any Texas fan or player is concerned about it. It's just apart of competitive sports, embrace the hate. 

Doesn't really matter what Texas does, opposing fans are going to call us soft or whatever, when it comes to horns down.

• Hook 'Em 1