Southwest Airlines to fly nonstop to Detroit for UT-Michigan game

• Moderators

AUSTIN (KXAN) — Fans cheering on the Longhorns at this year’s UT-Michigan game now have another nonstop option to make the journey.

Southwest Airlines will offer two nonstop flights ahead of the game on Sept. 7. Flights will depart Austin at 11:40 a.m. on both Thursday and Friday, Sept. 5 and 6, and will land at Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport (DTW) at 3:35 p.m. local time. The airport is about 25 miles east of Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor.

Kickoff is set for 11 a.m. on Saturday, Sept. 7. Two returning flights will leave on Sunday, Sept. 8 — one leaving Detroit at 9 a.m. and arriving in Austin at 10:55 a.m., and the other leaving at 4:55 p.m. and arriving at 6:50 p.m.

The route is one of several that Southwest will operate to shuttle fans this football season. The airlines will also fly to Austin from Atlanta for the Oct. 19 game against Georgia.

This will be only the second time that the Longhorns have faced the Michigan Wolverines. The teams met in the Rose Bowl on New Year’s Day 2005, with UT winning 38-37.

Delta Air Lines also operates nonstop AUS-DTW flights as part of its regular scheduled service. Delta announced last month special nonstop service for UT’s game against Arkansas. The airline will also fly nonstop to Austin from Gainesville, Tampa, Orlando and Lexington for the home games against Florida and Kentucky.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/austin-airport/southwest-airlines-to-fly-nonstop-to-detroit-for-ut-michigan-game/?utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NothinButDaHorns34 said:

Detroit? Oof! Make sure you carry your bullet proof vest and ballistic helmet in your carry on. 

Nope.  Been there many times.  Detroit is much better than the bad rap it gets.  That said, you can land @ DTW and never go into "Detroit" on your way to Ann Arbor.

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, southpaw said:

Nope.  Been there many times.  Detroit is much better than the bad rap it gets.  That said, you can land @ DTW and never go into "Detroit" on your way to Ann Arbor.

Women lie, men lie, But numbers don’t. Detroits is consistently in the top 5 cities with highest crime rates so I’ll pass at ever visiting that place lol

2 hours ago, NothinButDaHorns34 said:

Detroit? Oof! Make sure you carry your bullet proof vest and ballistic helmet in your carry on. 

Nothing scarier than getting lost on your way to South Bend in southside of Chicago.

31 minutes ago, NothinButDaHorns34 said:

Women lie, men lie, But numbers don’t. Detroits is consistently in the top 5 cities with highest crime rates so I’ll pass at ever visiting that place lol

You have no idea!  Went there for an interview once.  Was totally turned off by the entire City and surrounds.  Only nice place was the exclusive neighborhood where all the Ford Execs live and Cranbrook Academy.  Road/freeways were in deplorable shape.  Clearly, the city budget was not adequate to maintain much of anything.  Really, really run down. 

52 minutes ago, NothinButDaHorns34 said:

Oh, I know all that.  Just sayin I've stayed in the downtown area, walked after dark to Comerica Park, Greektown, etc. with no issues.  Granted, a visible police presence in the area increases safety.

But, as with any large metro, there are LOTS of areas to avoid.  I used to travel there for work, but haven't in the past 12 months.  It's not a city to "blindly" explore but there are nice areas that aren't war zones.

Edited by southpaw