Brandon Brown announcement (now July 5th - as of 10:15 am CST Wednesday)

It’s July!!! We still have the transfer portal. We still have Sydir, hills, January, Bledsoe, Bryant on the roster for the following year. We are going to land some DTs if not recruiting sark will hit the portal. These high school recruits at DT will mostly sit a year and redshirt. Which of these guys is going to be an all American type SEC d-lineman when they are mostly going up against full grown men O lineman? Chill out. It’s July!!!! Sark rexruits til December and beyond now with the portal. We gone be fine. Need to make sure these DBs don’t get torched. P.K gone stop the run

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, dwmundy said:

You normally don’t make announcements to stick to the team that you’re committed to

Exactly, this can't be viewed as encouraging news to "announce" you commitment to the school you're currently committed to.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Sad 1

The combination of Bo Davis, Sark, and Oregon royally screwed us this cycle for DT.  The timing could not have been worse either.  Hopefully something changes for the better, but can't say I'm overly optimistic for that position in this class. If this holds until signing day, we will need a portal band-aid or two this year and next and some re-assessment by the staff for next recruiting cycle.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Bobby Burton said:

I would not be expecting Texas at this point. 

Oof. Kenny Baker gonna have his work cut out for him in gaining some momentum back into the season & later in the cycle. Will also have to tangibly show good results & development from the d line, which in turn will help with recruiting.

I’m feeling great at the moment with DT recruiting but I do believe it will turn around in time.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, GoingForTheCorner said:

The combination of Bo Davis, Sark, and Oregon royally screwed us this cycle for DT.  The timing could not have been worse either.  Hopefully something changes for the better, but can't say I'm overly optimistic for that position in this class. If this holds until signing day, we will need a portal band-aid or two this year and next and some re-assessment by the staff for next recruiting cycle.

We’ve had some terrible luck here and not good contingency planning.  Wish we could sum up all the nil we were going to give to brown Sharma and Charles and make some massive last minute offer to Justus terry or some other 5 star. Get one sure thing and then the jags to fill out the class. 

The issue is that we've observed the recruitment process on the DT portal, and it's clear that we're not offering enough compensation. If we continue to lack DTs both from the portal and high school ranks, we'll face a significant gap in our team.

Our strategy needs to be adaptable right now. It seems like Texas is pushing too hard to assert "We are Texas," but the reality is that loyalty from these players will ultimately go to whoever offers them the best deal (or their family). While some players like Colin Simmons have a strong affinity for Texas and prefer to stay close, others may not have such strong ties to a particular school and will prioritize those who demonstrate loyalty to them and their family.

In essence, setting a cap on how much a player can earn won't be sustainable each year in the era of NIL (Name, Image, Likeness).

The rapid decline of Clemson in their division serves as a cautionary tale for everyone.

if that is the case then this Dt class is a disaster and hat was the point of bringing kenny baker here if he can’t recruit at this level.    yiu can’t go 0for 5 or 6 at the biggest need position.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, HudGar1922 said:

if that is the case then this Dt class is a disaster and hat was the point of bringing kenny baker here if he can’t recruit at this level.    yiu can’t go 0for 5 or 6 at the biggest need position.  

I seriously do not understand why so many people are putting this on Kenny baker. He’s trying to persuade guys that have been building relationships with coaches for years when he’s been at Texas for a few months. If you expect him to just be able to swoop in and win all of these recruitments with very little time then your expectations are unrealistic and you do not have a grasp of how recruiting high school kids works. Give the guy a full season and recruiting cycle and then evaluate.  Saying he can’t recruit at this level at this point in his tenure at Texas is just absurd

• Hook 'Em 7

3 minutes ago, Rhenk6768 said:

I seriously do not understand why so many people are putting this on Kenny baker. He’s trying to persuade guys that have been building relationships with coaches for years when he’s been at Texas for a few months. If you expect him to just be able to swoop in and win all of these recruitments with very little time then your expectations are unrealistic and you do not have a grasp of how recruiting high school kids works. Give the guy a full season and recruiting cycle and then evaluate.  Saying he can’t recruit at this level at this point in his tenure at Texas is just absurd

So are you suggesting he was put in a position to fail? 

• Hook 'Em 2

IDK what’s up with defensive recruiting, but now that they have opened it up to no limits on the number of coaches…….Sark needs to hire someone to help in this area…….if there is someone out there that would help.  How’s about some Ed Orgeron Baaaaaabeeeee?????

2 minutes ago, Rhenk6768 said:

This. It’s too soon to do any Baker bashing. At least give him a season before we make any judgements. Keep in mind Sharma and Charles were heading to Austin before Oregon threw a wrench in the works. My concern is more with the NIL approach to DL. We’ve missed on some big names in the portal and now we’re missing on all of the big names (except maybe Sanders) from high school. 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, pinkman_90 said:

Good thing we brought in so many DTs on official visits.  That way a loss like Brandon Brown won’t hurt as much since we have some backup options.  

Exactly, we are now going to be offering kids who we wouldn't bring in for official visits.... We seemed to miss big on in state DT's evals as well.  

5 minutes ago, Tuco Ramirez said:

This. It’s too soon to do any Baker bashing. At least give him a season before we make any judgements. Keep in mind Sharma and Charles were heading to Austin before Oregon threw a wrench in the works. My concern is more with the NIL approach to DL. We’ve missed on some big names in the portal and now we’re missing on all of the big names (except maybe Sanders) from high school. 

It's not a NIL issue, we have zero commits.  And we didn't have to use much NIL in portal last year b/c we lost out on all the war daddie$$ and lost our only 5 star DT last year after signing day so there's plenty of NIL money to get DT commits.   Unless we are giving it to all these commits with "down the road" potential which I highly doubt.  

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, TexasLonghorns said:

So are you suggesting he was put in a position to fail? 

I’m suggesting that he has a lot of factors to overcome to win these guys and a short amount of time to do it. Pretty sure I made it clear in my original post. He was put in this position because Bo left the way he did

Edited by Rhenk6768