Brandon Brown announcement (now July 5th - as of 10:15 am CST Wednesday)

8 minutes ago, Bonaparte said:

I still don’t understand why Sark didn’t keep Bo Davis.  Huge mistake 

It wasn’t up to sark. LSU made an offer and Bo wanted to go back to Louisiana because of his son. Sark offered him a lot of money

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, goattalk100 said:

Oof. Kenny Baker gonna have his work cut out for him in gaining some momentum back into the season & later in the cycle. Will also have to tangibly show good results & development from the d line, which in turn will help with recruiting.

I’m feeling great at the moment with DT recruiting but I do believe it will turn around in time.

A season with solid play by our defensive line and a full recruiting cycle for Baker will solve a lot of our problems. Of course the caveat here is the solid play by our defensive line

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, 512Horn said:

DT was the biggest need in this class and it isn't particularly close. We decided to bring in the following for OV's:

- Myron Charles (FSU Commit)

- Josiah Sharma (Oregon Commit)

-Kevin Wynn  (FSU Commit)

-Brandon Brown (We'll see)

- DJ Sanders (Texas lean, but a guy you hope can contribute 2-3 years down the road)

- Zion Williams (Weren't able to even get in for an OV - LSU)

How does that happen to the biggest need position at a school like Texas with all of it's resources?  Why were there not more prospects brought in?  You can't get outbid for these guys if you're plan was to bring in 5 guys for OV's at DT when the need is as drastic as it is for Texas.  We have signed the following DT's out of high school in the '23 & '24 classes:

- Sydir Mitchell

- Melvin Hills

- Alex January

OOS guys. That's why. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Rhenk6768 said:

I seriously do not understand why so many people are putting this on Kenny baker. He’s trying to persuade guys that have been building relationships with coaches for years when he’s been at Texas for a few months. If you expect him to just be able to swoop in and win all of these recruitments with very little time then your expectations are unrealistic and you do not have a grasp of how recruiting high school kids works. Give the guy a full season and recruiting cycle and then evaluate.  Saying he can’t recruit at this level at this point in his tenure at Texas is just absurd

Finally, someone with sense. Hard to believe that their are so many recruiting gurus on here that understand recruiting 🤔 

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Steven Schrader said:

I can see why people are a little concerned, but we need to let it play out.  Sark is a winner, not a whiner.  Still a long ways from December.

We’re about to be 0-4 on our top 4 prospects at the position with the lone guy committed who at best should be the 3rd-4th DT in a class. Especially when we’ve ignored in state recruits. Absolute oversight and failure by Sark and Co to not invest more NIL into the position to help the new DL coach with no skins on wall. 

Edited by Hashtag
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, AceHorn23 said:

Finally, someone with sense. Hard to believe that their are so many recruiting gurus on here that understand recruiting 🤔 

Maybe sark can hire them and they can show sark and staff how to really recruit 🙄

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, NothinButDaHorns34 said:

We’ve gone from saying “top 5 class” to not even knowing if we’ll make the top 10.

Not true in the slightest. Gerry said just this morning that we’ll most likely have a top 5 class. The question is will we fill our needs? Two things can be true at once

Edited by Rhenk6768
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

If it’s Texas … that will be Brandon going out on his own totally

LSU has very legit shot. That remains the favorite for at least one person in the circle 

Oklahoma has a shot. 

Understand the relationship with Bo, makes sense. 0u makes no sense. They didn’t believe in him until way after the Texas staff did. 

The market rate for impact DTs is the market rate. It appears we are not meeting that threshold, and even when we do, we are not "going above and beyond" to land OOS guys. The one guy in Texas that is an "SEC-body" is Zion Williams... and we haven't even gotten him to OV! How in the world does that happen?

We *cannot* rely on the portal for DTs long term.... Sarks message about recruiting the big bodies for the trenches is ringing completely hollow on one side of the ball. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Ryan said:

The market rate for impact DTs is the market rate. It appears we are not meeting that threshold, and even when we do, we are not "going above and beyond" to land OOS guys. The one guy in Texas that is an "SEC-body" is Zion Williams... and we haven't even gotten him to OV! How in the world does that happen?

We *cannot* rely on the portal for DTs long term.... Sarks message about recruiting the big bodies for the trenches is ringing completely hollow on one side of the ball. 

His GF is at LSU

Posted (edited)

Feels like when hiring a position coach players value coaches who PUT players in the NFL more than coaches that have been assistants in the NFL. I think Sark took a flyer for DL coach...and it's not paying off right now. Needs a splash hire from a splash program...in this day and age, headlines matter, buzz, etc...not necessarily logic.

Edited by Brazos21
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Rhenk6768 said:

I’m suggesting that he has a lot of factors to overcome to win these guys and a short amount of time to do it. Pretty sure I made it clear in my original post. He was put in this position because Bo left the way he did

He was put in the position because Sark hired him, it’s his job to meet the expectations of the job he accepted, what are the expectations? One would assume landing a few of the five DTs that visited. I’d love to suggest the reason I’m not meeting expectations or goals in my role are due to the previous person who held my job and “the way they left”. 

Edited by TexasLonghorns

14 minutes ago, TheContractor12 said:

Understand the relationship with Bo, makes sense. 0u makes no sense. They didn’t believe in him until way after the Texas staff did. 

So what does that tell you about Brown’s decision making criteria?  And about who is making the decisions for him?

If the kid schedules an OV to a school the week of the visit, and hadn’t even had OU in his top 5 before that, what do you think motivated this OV to Oklahoma?

I don’t think it is a coincidence that Brown and mom schedule an OV to the school that just won a very public DT recruitment / NIL auction just a few weeks before (Damonic Williams).  It would suggest to me that Brown’s circle is fully aware of which schools are most motivated $$ to obtain elite DT talent.   And that also informs me of who and how the final decision is likely to be influenced.

Now that all the bids are now in, the circle will make the decision.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Put me on the it's too early to blame Kenny Baker train,  but I do think we really should have brought in more than 5 guys for official visits and maybe gone harder after Williams.  Just seems like there was no plan B for missing out on players.  

Baker needs to have that D'line playing really good football this year.   

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, Hashtag said:

We’re about to be 0-4 on our top 4 prospects at the position with the lone guy committed who at best should be the 3rd-4th DT in a class. Especially when we’ve ignored in state recruits. Absolute oversight and failure by Sark and Co to not invest more NIL into the position to help the new DL coach with no skins on wall. 

Did you want Flood fired in November of 2021?  Asking for Negative Nancy.

1 minute ago, Steven Schrader said:

Did you want Flood fired in November of 2021?  Asking for Negative Nancy.

That comparison is irrelevant as I am not blaming baker at all in this instance but rather his boss who is refusing to spend the money necessary at the position that requires top NIL dollars. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, GDI said:

Put me on the it's too early to blame Kenny Baker train,  but I do think we really should have brought in more than 5 guys for official visits and maybe gone harder after Williams.  Just seems like there was no plan B for missing out on players.  

Baker needs to have that D'line playing really good football this year.   

Plan b could be the portal and of course we wouldn’t know until season ends 

2 minutes ago, Daniel Lovell said:

Plan b could be the portal and of course we wouldn’t know until season ends 

You're right, and I think we will come out with something,  but plan A wasn't very well thought out. 

• Hook 'Em 2