Texas Basketball 2024-25 Thread

8 hours ago, bierce said:

So you're saying once is not enough?  We need double OT in most games?  Sales of beer, blood pressure medicine, and hair color should skyrocket.  And better have a lot more t-shirts ready for lucky fans to catch.

Hair color?

• Moderators
19 hours ago, GQ03 said:

Man, you said a lot but failed to mention Jordan Pope who I think will be an awesome player for Texas. He's pretty close to a 1-to-1 comparison to Abmas & Carr of the last two teams. I think he'll be an elite player for us as well but the way he, Tre & Tramon gel and develop chemistry will determine if we look like a well-oiled machine on the perimeter or if its just three talented guys trying to go 1 on 1 each time down the court. 

100% agree on Jordan Pope. 

Pope averaged 17.6 PPG in the Pac-12 last season ... good for 5th in the conference. Led the Pac-12 in FT %, as well as one of the leaders in 3 %. 

He's 100% a proven high-level scorer/shooter. 

• Hook 'Em 6

There were no NBA level talents on either of our last two teams and the implication that the previous coach "developed" anyone at Texas is unwarranted.  

NBA level talent is a luxury that is not as important as developing team cohesion over time.  Veteran teams, like 2022-3 Texas, will become the norm for the post season as NBA level talent ever more turns pro out of high school. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, MarkInAustin said:

There were no NBA level talents on either of our last two teams and the implication that the previous coach "developed" anyone at Texas is unwarranted.  

NBA level talent is a luxury that is not as important as developing team cohesion over time.  Veteran teams, like 2022-3 Texas, will become the norm for the post season as NBA level talent ever more turns pro out of high school. 

Yeah, I said back when Beard was assembling his first team at Texas that the only potential NBA prospect on that team was Jaylon Tyson. The only other NBA type guys we've had were Ron Holland and AJ Johnson that never showed up, Dillon Mitchell who hasn't learned how to consistently make a shot outside of 10ft, and Arterio Morris for obvious reasons. 

Outside of Tre Johnson, Devon Pryor might be the one other potential NBA prospect just in terms of athleticism and body type provided he puts it all together and he probably doesn't get off the bench for a second consecutive year. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, GQ03 said:

Yeah, I said back when Beard was assembling his first team at Texas that the only potential NBA prospect on that team was Jaylon Tyson. The only other NBA type guys we've had were Ron Holland and AJ Johnson that never showed up, Dillon Mitchell who hasn't learned how to consistently make a shot outside of 10ft, and Arterio Morris for obvious reasons. 

Outside of Tre Johnson, Devon Pryor might be the one other potential NBA prospect just in terms of athleticism and body type provided he puts it all together and he probably doesn't get off the bench for a second consecutive year. 

Agree on Holland and Johnson. Those two decommits were back breakers. 

We held on to 1 this year with Tre but will need 1-2 more next year to be considered an elite program 

Leadership at Texas right now is all about elite. We have to show we have this right this year. 

our middling coaches arent here anymore. Texas AD isn’t messing around. That’s why basketball was given a placeholder/interim type contract.  

Men’s basketball is arguably the #2 sport on campus with baseball close. What got Pierce can get others. 

This is a good group of players. No reason not to perform in the upper 1/3 of the SEC. Gonna be tough tho because it’s a physical league. And we aren’t big or nasty. We are smooth and quick tho

objectivity is tough when you love Longhorn bball. This is a message board. Read it like I do all the pom pom and sunshine pumping. I supplied a little of both. That’s objective. It’s all a discussion for thought and absolutely nothing the mods or us type is anything but a guess. 

28 minutes ago, JohnGalt said:

Agree on Holland and Johnson. Those two decommits were back breakers. 

We held on to 1 this year with Tre but will need 1-2 more next year to be considered an elite program 

Leadership at Texas right now is all about elite. We have to show we have this right this year. 

our middling coaches arent here anymore. Texas AD isn’t messing around. That’s why basketball was given a placeholder/interim type contract.  

Men’s basketball is arguably the #2 sport on campus with baseball close. What got Pierce can get others. 

This is a good group of players. No reason not to perform in the upper 1/3 of the SEC. Gonna be tough tho because it’s a physical league. And we aren’t big or nasty. We are smooth and quick tho

objectivity is tough when you love Longhorn bball. This is a message board. Read it like I do all the pom pom and sunshine pumping. I supplied a little of both. That’s objective. It’s all a discussion for thought and absolutely nothing the mods or us type is anything but a guess. 

Agreed. I love horns basketball and while some of my posts may read as if I'm a sunshine pumper, I can definitely see the bottom falling out of a roster like this if things don't break right. We've got a lot of score first guys that came from losing programs. The optimist in me says they learned from those situations and are now willing to sacrifice and do the little things that contribute to winning but we're still talking about young guys with aspirations of going to the NBA while thinking they have to score to get there. Some of them still haven't figured why there are guys playing in the summer league that will average 20+ ppg and not sniff an NBA roster while there will be other guys averaging 5 ppg contributing to playoff teams in the NBA. 

RT has assembled a good amount of talent and it will take a valiant effort from the entire coaching staff to get this group to buy in but IF they do...look out!!

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Derek Handler said:

Any word on how the conference schedule will work for hoops?  Play everyone once, pad schedule with non-conf games? 

• 16 teams in conference

• Play 18 conference games

• Play OU/Arky/Aggy home and away

• Play everyone else once

• Non-conference will be padded with buy games after bigger games with Ohio St, UConn, NC State and two of Syracuse/Tech/St Joseph.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 7/18/2024 at 11:53 AM, bierce said:

We lucked out a bit with the conference schedule because we get Alabama, Auburn, Kentucky, and Tennessee in Austin.

Hope that wave won't continue to bounce back and forth forever and ever.

1 hour ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Texas staff loves this kid at PG ... leadership, playmaking, basketball IQ and will knock down catch and shoot three's

Its going to be interesting to see what they do with him and the other guards.  You've got 5 guys on the perimeter that you'd be comfortable starting but can only start 3 of them. Maybe its not a big deal if they can sell two on having Sir'Jabari-like roles. Larry is tougher because he's the only true point on the roster with a bunch of natural scorers.

• Hook 'Em 2

• Moderators
56 minutes ago, GQ03 said:

Its going to be interesting to see what they do with him and the other guards.  You've got 5 guys on the perimeter that you'd be comfortable starting but can only start 3 of them. Maybe its not a big deal if they can sell two on having Sir'Jabari-like roles. Larry is tougher because he's the only true point on the roster with a bunch of natural scorers.

Agree 100% … I think Weaver is perfect for an explosive energy player off the bench in a rotation

After that … someone will have to be a real “team by in” guy out of Julian Larry, Jordan Pope and Tramon Mark 

Tre Johnson is one starter.

Same thing will have to happen at 4 … one of Jayson Kent or Arthur Kaluma will have to be truly bought in … Kent is naturally that guy, but he’s going to be very key in floor spacing and making things flow in the half court when Tre and Pope are on floor together 

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Agree 100% … I think Weaver is perfect for an explosive energy player off the bench in a rotation

After that … someone will have to be a real “team by in” guy out of Julian Larry, Jordan Pope and Tramon Mark 

Tre Johnson is one starter.

Same thing will have to happen at 4 … one of Jayson Kent or Arthur Kaluma will have to be truly bought in … Kent is naturally that guy, but he’s going to be very key in floor spacing and making things flow in the half court when Tre and Pope are on floor together 

Certainly could be wrong, but I don’t see Mark being that guy. I really like the battles at 1 and 4. I would think all four were told whoever earns it starts. Everybody on the team likes each other. Kaluma wanted a run in the tournament. It will work itself out. Really interested in seeing who finishes the games.