Decision Day: 4-star WR Kelshaun Johnson

• Moderators

Decision Day: 4-star WR Kelshaun Johnson 

Hitchcock (Texas) High 4-star wide receiver and explosive playmaker Kelshaun Johnson is scheduled to announce his decision at around 5:30 p.m. central today. 

Headed into Monday, Texas A&M has been trending for three weeks with the Houston area speedster. The work of Holmon Wiggins has been strong in the favor of the Aggies with an assist from Mike Elko

Texas has attempted to turn up the heat in the last week and half with Steve Sarkisian and Chris Jackson in constant contact with Johnson and his mother. Johnson and his mother spoke with Sarkisian and Jackson a final time Monday headed into Tuesday's decision. 

OTF believes Johnson ended Monday continuing to lean to the Aggies. OTF will continue to check in with sources close to the recruitment to see if there is any change today headed into the announcement. 

• Hook 'Em 14

Looks like this one is going the other way.  Such a shame, especially since he was a heavy Texas lean at one point.

Reminds me of taking the double L in looking past Oklahoma and focusing one the glamour win against Georgia.....only to lose both.

Have to take the shot at DK, but, knowing now, maybe not as singularly focused.  

Ffrench and possibly Lockett help, but, we still have to fill the WR roll of X once Bond leaves.  Kelshuan like DK is that speed burner on the edge.  A real shame.

You never know, maybe at the final hour something changes.

• Hook 'Em 3

44 minutes ago, Adam Lane said:

Looks like this one is going the other way.  Such a shame, especially since he was a heavy Texas lean at one point.

Reminds me of taking the double L in looking past Oklahoma and focusing one the glamour win against Georgia.....only to lose both.

Have to take the shot at DK, but, knowing now, maybe not as singularly focused.  

Ffrench and possibly Lockett help, but, we still have to fill the WR roll of X once Bond leaves.  Kelshuan like DK is that speed burner on the edge.  A real shame.

You never know, maybe at the final hour something changes.

Wingo can fill the role of Bond next year.  That kid can probably fill any roles needed for this offense.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, goattalk100 said:

A&M definitely pitching be the guy, playing time wide open, etc. Our WR room is more crowded & will probably always be more crowded & talented with Sark here.

I would think that would be an easy selll for us to combat with the leading Receiver at K State last year with a better QB was a TE at 676 yards and 6 TD's.  Top receiver had 589/5.   

• Hook 'Em 1

aggy easily wins the early playing time sell. At Texas, he's behind Cook, Moore, Wingo, and any other WR we bring in from the portal. Shoot, Bolden and Golden would have another year of eligibility remaining in 2025. 

aggy will likely be losing their starting 3 WRs after this season and their backups are JAGs.

Edited by Neil Leininger
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Derek Handler said:

I would think that would be an easy selll for us to combat with the leading Receiver at K State last year with a better QB was a TE at 676 yards and 6 TD's.  Top receiver had 589/5.   

This is the same thing I've been thinking. What about Colin Klein's offense gets a big time receiver fired up? Nothing. A receiver is not going to be the man in that offense. Good luck.

• Hook 'Em 2

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Ace Recruiter said:

@Gerry HamiltonWhat is aggy pitching him that trumps what Texas can offer a WR is Sark's offense?

Holomon Wiggins has been on him, and has had him as their "speed" guy for a while. 

Texas has to fight against Kelshaun visiting Texas the same weekend as Dakorien, and Moore got the lions share of the attention. 

And the NIL piece ... that's an unknown, but a lot of time it comes down to allocating resources at positions. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Thanks 2

I can understand A&M coming hard and making a big push, but it doesn’t seem like we ever cooled on him, or ghosted him. We were in on him pretty early, gave him a chance to commit during the spring. As soon as his A&M visit went well Sark was talking with him the next night. 

It’s not like we thought we had our class set with the three 5s and stopped recruiting him. He’s always had a spot and I hope he sees it that way. 

5 hours ago, Rhenk6768 said:

This is the same thing I've been thinking. What about Colin Klein's offense gets a big time receiver fired up? Nothing. A receiver is not going to be the man in that offense. Good luck.

Amen!! A defensive head coach with a run first OC doesn’t exactly scream WR friendly unless he just really wants to block and get the ball in desperation situations 

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m going on record that Johnson will flip to Texas after seeing the Aggie offense this season versus the texas offense. He might have to work to get on the field, but that’ll only make his game better when he does see PT. 

3 hours ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Holomon Wiggins has been on him, and has had him as their "speed" guy for a while. 

Texas has to fight against Kelshaun visiting Texas the same weekend as Dakorien, and Moore got the lions share of the attention. 

And the NIL piece ... that's an unknown, but a lot of time it comes down to allocating resources at positions. 

so what is the deal with defensive coaches landing these receivers?  i mean are we being lazy in recruiting?   if you are a WR you should want to play in a proven Wr friendly offense.   this class just feels like our coaches got lazy this cycle and cant close.  now lockett and french would mitigate that but if we don't  land both   this receiver class will be just as much of a disaster as the DT  class 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1