NiJaree Canady to....

6 hours ago, BobInHouston said:

Unless I'm reading you wrong, Canady is one of those, too.

Agree, but to my knowledge, none of the Texas names like Madi Skinner have been given a million dollar NIL at Texas.  I would argue that Madi Skinner would deserve one before Canady at Texas given she's brought a championship and volleyball is extremely popular at Texas.  They probably are closer to breaking even or making a profit vs softball.  My guess anyway.

If Canady joined the Longhorn softball team, they'd be serious contenders but nothing is guaranteed.

The Athletic published a pretty detailed account of how this went down.  It's behind a paywall, but a couple of things I learned -

- The Canady family had been shopping for a seven-figure NIL deal since her freshman year.  People at Stanford were surprised that she didn't leave after her first year.

-  Texas probably wasn't even in the running - she scheduled visits to Tennessee, Alabama, UCLA and Kansas.

The unprecedented million-dollar recruitment of the nation’s best softball player

(I'm not sure she's the nation's best softball player, but that's the headline)

1 hour ago, horns96 said:

The Athletic published a pretty detailed account of how this went down.  It's behind a paywall, but a couple of things I learned -

- The Canady family had been shopping for a seven-figure NIL deal since her freshman year.  People at Stanford were surprised that she didn't leave after her first year.

-  Texas probably wasn't even in the running - she scheduled visits to Tennessee, Alabama, UCLA and Kansas.

The unprecedented million-dollar recruitment of the nation’s best softball player

(I'm not sure she's the nation's best softball player, but that's the headline)

Call me crazy but I can't fathom a seven figure payment for a softball player (in terms of ROI of revenue). Even if they win tbr championship, they wouldn't make that money back.  Not to mention lockerroom situation with other players.  Only softball player that would come close for me is Cat Osterman at Texas because she was so dominant and even that's questionable on ROI.  Canady is good but she's not Cat O. good.

2 hours ago, HookemTexas said:

Call me crazy but I can't fathom a seven figure payment for a softball player (in terms of ROI of revenue). Even if they win tbr championship, they wouldn't make that money back.  Not to mention lockerroom situation with other players.  Only softball player that would come close for me is Cat Osterman at Texas because she was so dominant and even that's questionable on ROI.  Canady is good but she's not Cat O. good.

A dude worth billions of dollars giving her a million in NIL is like you giving a bum $20. 

Also people need to 100% stop looking at NIL deals in traditional business sense of ROI. ROI is competing for and/or winning championships. Thats the bottom line. In this day and age you HAVE to spend to win. It’s been that way for at least the last 50 years in football even without NIL

Edited by Hashtag