Stros baby

On 8/8/2024 at 7:18 AM, Bobby Burton said:

CJ & Blake need to crawl back into that hole.

Astros rule! 🙂

My late father played baseball as a young man and got as high as Double A in the old St Louis Browns organization.

We drove from Dallas to see the Colt .45s play the Cardinals at the old stadium on the Gulf Fwy just to shake hands with Stan Musial before the game... turned out he really did know Musial.

After the Astrodome was built we'd drive from Dallas twice a season and spend the weekend in Houston for a couple of Astros games.

We went to see Willie Mays and the Giants. Mays hit a record HR that afternoon and ducked the hundred or so kids and parents wanting his autograph after the game... I'll always remember Mays wore a sport coat with an ascot... and he didn't even wave at all the adoring kids.

Twenty years later in 1985 my newlywed wife and I lived in Houston and we went to see Nolan Ryan and Steve Carlton in a pitcher's duel. A sellout of course. Game was tied 0-0 to start the 7th inning. Well, a nerdy Mom and Dad were sitting on the row behind us and they decided to start the birthday party for their kid. Complete with gifts being unwrapped from the half-dozen guest kids with birthday cake and they all talked non-stop. Paid no attention to the game.

My wife couldn't take it any longer and we left the scoreless game with Ryan and Carlton on the mound. We listened to Milo Hamilton with the call on the radio on the way home. That's still the most frustrating experience I've ever had at a game.

The next season I took my Dad to the '86 All-Star Game at the Astrodome.

The following season my Dad was diagnosed with cancer and I took him to Game 4 of the World Series in St Louis when the Cardinals played the Twins. My last best memory with him as he died four months later at age 62. Former athlete, he didn't smoke and didn't drink and wasn't obese. Doctors said it was just "bad luck."

As you might expect, I had played Little League and high school baseball and American Legion ball, but I lost interest in the game and focused my interest on being a Longhorns football fan.

Hook 'Em Horns!

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, cmk4pres said:

Playoffs! Start today! 

Foamers were great.  I grew up in Houston and happened to be at quite a few games that turned into foamers.  Also reminds me of the strolling beer vendor whose selling phrase was "I've got the coldest foam in the Dome".

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, .45s said:

Foamers were great.  I grew up in Houston and happened to be at quite a few games that turned into foamers.  Also reminds me of the strolling beer vendor whose selling phrase was "I've got the coldest foam in the Dome".

Damn straight! Love it. Taking my middle one to game 2 tomorrow.