Most irreplaceable players in 2024

With the unfortunate loss of Baxter, and the ensuing back and forth debate about how we can replace his production and intangibles, I was thinking about how you would really rank how truly "irreplaceable" a player is on the 2024 team.  This is what I came up with:

1) Quinn.  Yes, Arch is the heir apparent and may possibly be the superior player long term, but the importance of a 3rd year Quinn with advanced knowledge of the Sark offense can not be downplayed.

2) Ant Hill.  Losing a tremendous LB in Ford, we are left with the super explosive Ford and the experienced career backup Gbenda.  Beyond those 2 guys there is a huge drop off, with the smaller Blackwell, the inexperienced Lefau.

3) Manny Muhammad.  Only true lock down corner.  Enough said.

4) Banks.  Franchise LT.  We have good depth in Goosby, but he is completely inexperienced.  I could see Conner filling in if Banks is out, but again, just a massive drop off.

5) Collins.  Our best and most athletic DT.  Lole may be close to that level, but you can't trust that injury history.

6/7) Mukuba/Williams tie.  We've upgraded the safety position considerably, but without either of these guys, we have the heady but physically limited Taafe and the completely inexperienced McDonald.

8.) CJ Baxter.  I was particularly afraid of a Baxter injury this year, given the lack of an experienced blocker/big back behind him.  I won't rehash the arguments that have been made on numerous threads in the last few days.

9) Trey Moore.  This is a projection, as I feel that he will be very productive this year.  The only other twitchy EDGE we have like this is Simmons, but hard to compare a guy with so much tangible success in pass rush with a true freshman just ye.

10) Jake Majors.  So much experience, so smart.  Robertson could fill in admirably,  but I feel that he is the 2nd most important OL.

As for the rest of the roster, clearly the WRs are the most deep, even if they have completely different skill sets.  Outside of Collins, we have a lot of experienced depth at DT, even if it is not as high end as last year.  DE and TE depth are very good as well.  You could argue Burt Auburn on the top 10 list.  Second CB and WLB also concerns.  Star seems fine with either Barron or Guilbeau almost interchangable.  

Thoughts?

• Hook 'Em 5

• Moderators

1. Quinn Ewers - losing a third year starter in Sark's system and NFL draft pick would be a challenge, even if Arch Manning is QB2. 

2. Kelvin Banks - losing a first-round OT is very tough. 

3. Jaydon Blue - with Baxter out, losing Blue would significantly change the Texas team from having both Baxter and Blue headed into the season. 

4. Muhammad - huge drop off, and top corner by far

5. Anthony Hill - huge drop off and top 2 player on the defense

6. Cameron Williams - too much youth and unknown behind him

7. Alfred Collins - by far the most talented interior defensive lineman that also provides scheme versatility

8. Trey Moore - May be the best player on the defense. 

9. Derek Williams - safety position can't lose it's most talented player. 

10. Gavin Holmes - depth at corner will be a concern until it's not.

• Hook 'Em 5

38 minutes ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

1. Quinn Ewers - losing a third year starter in Sark's system and NFL draft pick would be a challenge, even if Arch Manning is QB2. 

2. Kelvin Banks - losing a first-round OT is very tough. 

3. Jaydon Blue - with Baxter out, losing Blue would significantly change the Texas team from having both Baxter and Blue headed into the season. 

4. Muhammad - huge drop off, and top corner by far

5. Anthony Hill - huge drop off and top 2 player on the defense

6. Cameron Williams - too much youth and unknown behind him

7. Alfred Collins - by far the most talented interior defensive lineman that also provides scheme versatility

8. Trey Moore - May be the best player on the defense. 

9. Derek Williams - safety position can't lose it's most talented player. 

10. Gavin Holmes - depth at corner will be a concern until it's not.

Good to see your perspective Gerry. Agree that with Baxter out blue is suddenly much higher on the top 10 list. I’m not sure about Cam Williams though in the top 10 because couldn’t you just move Conner to RT and move Neto into LG?  

• Hook 'Em 1

• Moderators

Banks might be my No. 1 knowing that Texas has a heck of a backup ready in Arch, rather than what know of at LT. 

In the case of Banks going down, I bet we see Conner move to LT and Neto/Hutson move into LG.

• Hook 'Em 1

First of all, great topic from the OG.

I’d go with:

1. Banks

2. Ewers

3. Hill

4. Muhammad

5. Blue

6. Bolden (this should surprise some since he’s first WR on the list; he’s the one who is “different” from the others and has experience)

7.  Majors

8. Collins

9. Sorrell

10. C. Williams

• Hook 'Em 1

• Moderators
5 hours ago, NothinButDaHorns34 said:

I’d put banks number one, quinn number two and I’m not even sure manny would make my top five because i just don’t believe he’s proven to be a shut down corner yet 

I think you have to include him because he’s our best corner in a room that isn’t very deep right now

2) Ant Hill.  Losing a tremendous LB in Ford, we are left with the super explosive Ford and the experienced career backup Gbenda.  Beyond those 2 guys there is a huge drop off, with the smaller Blackwell, the inexperienced Lefau.

Pretty sure you meant Hill instead of Ford when you wrote "left with the super explosive Ford" ...

• Hook 'Em 1

• Moderators
14 hours ago, Quinncent McManning, Jr. said:

With the unfortunate loss of Baxter, and the ensuing back and forth debate about how we can replace his production and intangibles, I was thinking about how you would really rank how truly "irreplaceable" a player is on the 2024 team.  This is what I came up with:

1) Quinn.  Yes, Arch is the heir apparent and may possibly be the superior player long term, but the importance of a 3rd year Quinn with advanced knowledge of the Sark offense can not be downplayed.

3) Manny Muhammad.  Only true lock down corner.  Enough said.

4) Banks.  Franchise LT.  We have good depth in Goosby, but he is completely inexperienced.  I could see Conner filling in if Banks is out, but again, just a massive drop off.

5) Collins.  Our best and most athletic DT.  Lole may be close to that level, but you can't trust that injury history.

6/7) Mukuba/Williams tie.  We've upgraded the safety position considerably, but without either of these guys, we have the heady but physically limited Taafe and the completely inexperienced McDonald.

8.) CJ Baxter.  I was particularly afraid of a Baxter injury this year, given the lack of an experienced blocker/big back behind him.  I won't rehash the arguments that have been made on numerous threads in the last few days.

9) Trey Moore.  This is a projection, as I feel that he will be very productive this year.  The only other twitchy EDGE we have like this is Simmons, but hard to compare a guy with so much tangible success in pass rush with a true freshman just ye.

10) Jake Majors.  So much experience, so smart.  Robertson could fill in admirably,  but I feel that he is the 2nd most important OL.

As for the rest of the roster, clearly the WRs are the most deep, even if they have completely different skill sets.  Outside of Collins, we have a lot of experienced depth at DT, even if it is not as high end as last year.  DE and TE depth are very good as well.  You could argue Burt Auburn on the top 10 list.  Second CB and WLB also concerns.  Star seems fine with either Barron or Guilbeau almost interchangable.  

Thoughts?

What about Auburn? How would that change things if he went down somehow?

16 minutes ago, John Burrows said:

What about Auburn? How would that change things if he went down somehow?

41 minutes ago, Bobby Burton said:

First of all, great topic from the OG.

I’d go with:

1. Banks

2. Ewers

3. Hill

4. Muhammad

5. Blue

6. Bolden (this should surprise some since he’s first WR on the list; he’s the one who is “different” from the others and has experience)

7.  Majors

8. Collins

9. Sorrell

10. C. Williams

I like the Bolden pick. I had meant irreplaceable mostly from a how much is losing one guy affect the team and what do we have in reserve in the room (which is a lot at wr)… but if you consider replacing a particular skill set i completely see Bolden as a top pick. That guy will be so fun to watch this year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Quinncent McManning, Jr. said:

Good to see your perspective Gerry. Agree that with Baxter out blue is suddenly much higher on the top 10 list. I’m not sure about Cam Williams though in the top 10 because couldn’t you just move Conner to RT and move Neto into LG?  

Huge drop off IMO

People in the building think Cam Williams may end up a 1st rounder. 

• Hook 'Em 2