Tuesday Evening Player Availability

• Moderators

A couple of Texas players were available via Zoom this evening with the media. Notes and quotes below. 

DB Jahdae Barron

— 

Barron was asked about the effort the team has displayed this so far this offseason. Says it’s very important for the team to get 

“He’s amazing, very smart player.” Barron on Andrew Mukuba. 

I asked Barron about playing outside, inside and safety to which he said it helps the entire secondary to know what the extra roles are of the defense in the secondary. 

He can relate to the nickels, the outside corners and the safeties with each call or look. Barron mentioned communication is crucial.

Barron added, some challenges at nickel is reading your red-green lights. Reading the keys and knowing when to fire. You are always on alert at nickel, says Barron.

Barron says there are six guys playing 2-3 different positions right now in the secondary. 

“I am loving everybody in the secondary right now.”

— 

Barron says he has spoken with some folks who have been injured, adding that their maturity will grow as a result. Spoke about the leadership on roster helping grow in this trying time with injuries.

— 

“Coach Sark and that staff, they recruit heck of a ballplayer at every position.”

Barron says the depth is there for Texas at positions even with injuries.

“C4 going down, he was a leader… I know the guys that we have to lead one another is tremendous.”

— 

Barron spoke about new analyst Scotty Hazelton in the DB room, says the focus has been efficiency across the board.

— 

Barron says WR Silas Bolden has been a standout of the newcomers in the pass game. Also shouted out DeAndre Moore as one more wide receiver this fall camp.

“I have been loving (DeAndre Moore’s) performance… He has been stepping up in the run and blocking game.”

Quinn Ewers

On the RB injuries: “First off, it definitely hurts to see that go down. Injuries do happen, it’s a part of the game we play and it sucks. Coach Sark and Coach Choice do an incredible job recruiting.”

Ewers says when Silas Bolden first arrived on campus he could tell immediately how much he cared about the game of football.

Ewers says the first scrimmage wasn’t as good as he would have hoped, but that is why the team is out there working to improve each day.

— 

When asked if running the football was something he would be more open to, Ewers said he would do anything in the game plan to help the team win games.

“The biggest thing for Barryn (Sorrell) is being able to pull anyone along.”

— 

About Moore and Cook, Ewers says the biggest thing right now is just being more comfortable on the field. He added their understanding of the game has improved a lot and learned from the three WRs from a year ago. 

“I think they are in a good position right now.”

— 

On RT Cam Williams and his growth: “I think he has done a great job over there.”

“A guy with his size and his strength, he is going to be able to do it all.”

Ewers says this fall camp has been great for him to develop muscle memory to step up in the pocket and feel more comfortable there. 

• Hook 'Em 6

• Moderators
2 hours ago, SpaceCityWrangler said:

I read the thread title as “Tuesday Evening Prayer Availability” which would make sense given all the blows the team has taken.  

lol it might as well have been that!

I will be interested to see what happens with QE3. 

It seems like we heard the same types of things last offseason re: footwork and leadership. I know he’s aware of taking too many self-sacks but when the rubber meets the road this year in the big games- will his muscle memory win out or his happy feet take over?