Did two teams essentially punch their playoff ticket Saturday?

• Moderators

I know, I know ... it's week 1 and a lot can happen. But look at the schedules of Notre Dame and Miami.

Both teams should go 11-1 barring injuries to the starting QB's, or a string of major injuries. Now Miami, will have an ACC Championship Game they may need to win with their schedule. 

Those were big wins for both with what's ahead on the schedule. 

• Hook 'Em 6

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, WestlakeLonghorn said:

ND is a lock - but have fun being the 5 seed since you’re not in a conference and therefore can’t get a 1st round bye. 
Miami will find a way to screw it up - Mario is a garbage in game coach. 

I'm not even sure Mario can screw up that schedule ... but will be fun to follow!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Riley Leonard had a QB rating of 104 last night against the aggies. If he has more games like that they will be lucky to win out. 

Playing at USC is no gimme but the LSU/USC game tonight will give everyone a better read on USC. And FSU has a bye week before playing at ND.

Miami has an easy schedule and could win but you can never underestimate Cristobal’s ability  to screw things up. FSU has the potential (maybe not the ability though…lol) to screw things up for ND and Miami.

• Hook 'Em 2

Historically, ND has one of tougher schedule despite being an independent.   Likely down years from FSU and USC are hurting ND schedule.  Stanford is generally decent program and close to elite with Harbaugh and David Shaw, but Stanford has been bad for few years.  Early recruiting signing period has been bad for an academic school like Stanford.  ND also usually tries to schedule elite P4 schools.  It's also hard to judge any team after week 1.  That ND QB is a good QB, and almost all QBs aren't going to play lights out in the 1st game at a new school, especially at a tough environment like college station.   That ND pass defense looks elite, though.  It's long season, but ND looks like a top 12 team. 

Edited by nolabeer
  • Hook 'Em 1

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, marathon said:

Riley Leonard had a QB rating of 104 last night against the aggies. If he has more games like that they will be lucky to win out. 

Playing at USC is no gimme but the LSU/USC game tonight will give everyone a better read on USC. And FSU has a bye week before playing at ND.

Miami has an easy schedule and could win but you can never underestimate Cristobal’s ability  to screw things up. FSU has the potential (maybe not the ability though…lol) to screw things up for ND and Miami.

Just me, but I think A&M has the best DL ND will play against. Their OL only had 6 career starts going into that game ... they will improve. 

Leonard will get more on same page with WR's IMO. There were two routes F'ed up last night that would have been a 20+ yard gain and a TD (RB). 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Just me, but I think A&M has the best DL ND will play against. Their OL only had 6 career starts going into that game ... they will improve. 

Leonard will get more on same page with WR's IMO. There were two routes F'ed up last night that would have been a 20+ yard gain and a TD (RB). 

Agree that the aggie DL is good but Leonard only threw for 158 yards and 5.3 yds per attempt. Once he settles into the offense he should improve…if not they are in trouble.

The thing that saved ND last night was that Conner Weigman was so bad that he had an almost impossible low QB rating of 54.7. He completed 12 of 30 passes (40%), with 2 INT, for 100 yards and 3.3 yds per attempt.

1 hour ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Thought the Aggy D line looked ferocious at times.  Leonard looked like ND's version of Sam Ehlinger to me.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Gerry, as a follow up to this how would you rank the teams with the toughest DL that Texas will play this year. It seems like most SEC teams have at least one good defensive lineman (plus you have Michigan’s DL).

Pencil em in Gerry. Almost there. 11 to 12 more manageable games and it's done.

Miami now seems like the favorite from the ACC. FSU is down and has a bad loss. Clemson got annihilated by UGA. Miami has a road SEC win.  ACC is weak. Miami schedule is manageable. Skips Clemson in regular season. Gets FSU at home. Could road games at USF or at Louisville be their toughest remaining regular season games? They don't play a ranked team if FSU eventually drops out. Win the ACC and qualify. 12-1 could get in as well.

ND got that SEC road win. ND has an even easier schedule than Miami for the next 10 games. At USC in their final game is their qualifier imo. But could lose it and still make it with a 11-1 record.

Both need to avoid two losses to avoid the CFP debates but some 2 loss team(s) will make the CFP.

Three losses and they are out of the CFP.  But I doubt either has 3 losses since they may be favored in every game.

15 hours ago, qaertyisthatdude said:

ND - yes.  Miami - I’m waiting for Cristobal to somehow screw this up and continue the Miami can’t win the ACC curse.  Too early to tell if either team will make the CFP tbh

They look a lot better this year than last with their new QB.  I think they win the ACC and get in.  They have some dudes on that team.

ND can go to the playoffs even if they slip-up and lose one of the remaining games on their cupcake schedule, so they’re basically in the playoff at this point.

Miami now gets two bites at the Playoff Apple and it’ll be interesting to see if Mario can screw them both up.  Not only is Miami heavily favored to win the ACC championship to get to the playoffs (that’s the first bite), they are also likely to win at least 10-11 games with that schedule making them a potential at-large playoff team (bite #2) should Mario lose a game or two along the way.  

With FSU’s loss to GT, Clemson’s embarrassment against UGA, VT losing to Vandy, (and NC State likely to get crushed by Tennessee on Saturday), the ACC has almost a zero percent chance of getting an at-large playoff spot…with the exception of a 10-11 win Miami.