Ryan Watts

52 minutes ago, Rhenk6768 said:

Given the speed that Ryan Watts showed at the shrine bowl, did Texas misuse him by putting him at corner or was it that Texas had nobody else to put there at the time?

Ryan transferred to Texas in part because he wanted to play corner and Ohio State had moved him to safety.

As for his speed, what you heard was a bit deceptive.

Yes, he was straight-line fast, logging one of the fastest top-end speeds there. But his “acceleration” was exceedingly slow compared to other skill players.

CJ had the stat that the quickest accelerator in the Shrine game was 5.33 yards squared per second. Most skills guys were above 5.0. (Next gen stats were provided by a company called Zebra.)

Ryan clocked at 4.33 yards squared.

Therein lies the problem. Top end fast but doesn’t accelerate fast in and out of cuts made by receivers.

Rod B ultimately thinks he’s a safety. We’ll have to see.

• Hook 'Em 8

• Moderators

So I actually dug into this yesterday. Here’s the three fastest players from the Shrine Bowl:

1. Tyler Owens

2. AJ Woods

3. Ryan Watts 

You can see their times here:IMG_4021.thumb.jpeg.811df7a0c767b2a970c15d7eaaea6008.jpeg

However, now let’s look at max acceleration times. Zebra Sports (who gave me all this data) defines Maximum acceleration as: yards per second per second (YD/S²) a player achieves during a practice/game. This stat can indicate players that are able to start/stop quickly and change direction.

The higher the number, the better. Here’s the top five from just DBs:

IMG_4022.thumb.jpeg.e5544041046deab266d4bfdcb1658d00.jpeg

And here is Ryan Watts:

IMG_4023.thumb.jpeg.ad8cee790c900dbe0188d404e9b354fd.jpeg

So, as you can see, he’s 27th in acceleration. While he has pretty good top end speed it’s just taking forever to get there. 

• Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, Blake Munroe said:

So I actually dug into this yesterday. Here’s the three fastest players from the Shrine Bowl:

1. Tyler Owens

2. AJ Woods

3. Ryan Watts 

You can see their times here:IMG_4021.thumb.jpeg.811df7a0c767b2a970c15d7eaaea6008.jpeg

However, now let’s look at max acceleration times. Zebra Sports (who gave me all this data) defines Maximum acceleration as: yards per second per second (YD/S²) a player achieves during a practice/game. This stat can indicate players that are able to start/stop quickly and change direction.

The higher the number, the better. Here’s the top five:

IMG_4022.thumb.jpeg.e5544041046deab266d4bfdcb1658d00.jpeg

And here is Ryan Watts:

IMG_4023.thumb.jpeg.ad8cee790c900dbe0188d404e9b354fd.jpeg

So, as you can see, he’s 27th in acceleration. While he has pretty good top end speed it’s just taking forever to get there. 

Blake, this is awesome man. It gives a clearer picture of what’s going on and I think you see these stats reflected in his play on the field. I think these stats could still make a case for him to be at safety though given that a safety has more field to get to where he needs to be and that top end speed can be utilized better. A corner has to turn his hips and accelerate fast to catch a receiver trying to blow by him

• Hook 'Em 2

• Moderators

I’ll take it one step further. Watts was also Top 5 in explosive efforts. Zebra defines an “explosive effort” as:

Count of “high” accelerations and “high” decelerations a player achieves in a practice/game. A “high acceleration/deceleration is achieved when a player reaches at least ±3.5 YD/S².

IMG_4026.thumb.jpeg.cfce543b36845b8a614084d770614d6a.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Rhenk6768 said:

Blake, this is awesome man. It gives a clearer picture of what’s going on and I think you see these stats reflected in his play on the field. I think these stats could still make a case for him to be at safety though given that a safety has more field to get to where he needs to be and that top end speed can be utilized better. A corner has to turn his hips and accelerate fast to catch a receiver trying to blow by him

Most definitely. I think it says a lot about him, to your point about moving to safety. I’m with Rod on this one. 

I also have data on Christian Jones and T’Vondre Sweat (Zebra hooked me up!), so I’ll make a separate post today about them. I haven’t got to do a deeper dive into the Senior Bowl analytics yet like I did with the Shrine Bowl. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Blake Munroe said:

Most definitely. I think it says a lot about him, to your point about moving to safety. I’m with Rod on this one. 

I also have data on Christian Jobes and T’Vondre Sweat (Zebra hooked me up!), so I’ll make a separate post today about them. I haven’t got to do a deeper dive into the Senior Bowl analytics yet like I did with the Shrine Bowl. 

Blake, you’re stat man! Great info 

• Hook 'Em 2

These are absolutely great. I have been against MPH as a measure for quite some time. I think it good to know, but it tells a small part of the story. These stats bring that to light. There are a lot of guys that are really fast, when they get going. Then there are the players like Worthy and Bijan, that seem to hit top speed in 2 steps. I am a big believer that how fast you approach your top speed is more important, than your top speed. Keep in mind you need a certain baseline top speed. 

• Hook 'Em 3

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Texas fan in Georgia said:

I bet Blake’s prizepicks are lit up like a Christmas tree!! 😂😂

Haha I’m more of a spread guy than player projections, to be honest. However, I’ve done pretty well on PrizePicks here lately!

• Hook 'Em 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, codaxx said:

These are absolutely great. I have been against MPH as a measure for quite some time. I think it good to know, but it tells a small part of the story. These stats bring that to light. There are a lot of guys that are really fast, when they get going. Then there are the players like Worthy and Bijan, that seem to hit top speed in 2 steps. I am a big believer that how fast you approach your top speed is more important, than your top speed. Keep in mind you need a certain baseline top speed. 

Without a doubt. It makes a world of difference, especially in such a short distance (like on a football field). 

22 minutes ago, Blake Munroe said:

Without a doubt. It makes a world of difference, especially in such a short distance (like on a football field). 

The applications for this type of testing are really interesting. You use a stop light and time how fast a DL gets out of his stance and covers 5 yards. That would 10x more applicable, than a 40 yard dash time at the combine 

• Hook 'Em 3

43 minutes ago, codaxx said:

The applications for this type of testing are really interesting. You use a stop light and time how fast a DL gets out of his stance and covers 5 yards. That would 10x more applicable, than a 40 yard dash time at the combine 

For decades, the NFL has really only cared about 10 yard spilts for all OLs and interior DLs. But the media has never caught on because it’s not easy to get the data.

5 hours ago, Bobby Burton said:

For decades, the NFL has really only cared about 10 yard spilts for all OLs and interior DLs. But the media has never caught on because it’s not easy to get the data.

Doesn’t the combine start the clock off player movement, not off a signal?

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Blake Munroe said:

Here’s a little more data for y’all. These are from the first three practices. I don’t have the game data yet, but I’ll have it soon. 
IMG_4031.thumb.jpeg.c9f827fd35e86ebf828ffa14a957a03f.jpeg
IMG_4032.thumb.jpeg.4ee30a9676ddd01f88198fe70f040a3b.jpeg

Appreciate all the stats and analytics Blake! I love digging into them myself.

• Hook 'Em 3