Latest on 5-star Jonah Williams (Saturday 8:25 am CST)

• Moderators

Spoke with Galveston (Texas) Ball High 5-star safety Jonah Williams Friday afternoon. Williams, 6-3 and 204 pounds, is currently helping lead Ball High to a district title in basketball before shifting focus to baseball. Obviously, baseball is impactful in his recruitment. 

Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian and safeties coach/area recruiter Blake Gideon were at Ball High two weeks ago. They met with Williams and his father. 

Sarkisian's message was simple.

“It went great," Williams told OnTexasFootball Friday. "They moved me back to the safety room. They talked about with Coach Choate leaving that they are moving me back to the safety room. He had a great talk with my dad."

Williams and Gideon have been in communication for over a year with Gideon serving as the area recruiter. 

“Coach Gideon told me that I’m a top priority at safety." 

With Texas shifting the recruitment to the safety position, the Longhorns have a realistic shot. 

Williams' visit plans

Williams visited Oklahoma last weekend for the Sooners Elite Junior Day. 

He did not attend Texas Junior Day January 20, and said Friday he's not likely attending Texas A&M Junior Day this weekend. 

Williams said spring practice visits to Texas and Texas A&M are likely. 

A number of head coaches have been by Ball High to meet with Williams and family members. That list includes USC's Lincoln Riley Thursday, UH's Willie Fritz, Texas A&M's Mike Elko Thursday, Ohio State's Ryan Day last week and Oregon's Dan Lanning attended the Galveston Ball at Friendswood basketball game two weeks ago. 

• Hook 'Em 19

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Quinncent McManning, Jr. said:

Any idea if Williams is wanting to commit early or draw this out?  Seems like with our late pivot to recruiting him as a safety we are way behind OU, and this is feeling like a Devin Sanchez will we ever get enough time to make up the ground, type of recruitment.  

Feels like June OV's and decision prior to senior season, as of today. 

Baseball is definitely going to factor into this one too. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

He's definitely feeling OU right now more. One thing I don't know right now is if OU has all the correct connections in Galveston that could be impactful here long term. 

Ya'll need a vomit icon.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Feels like June OV's and decision prior to senior season, as of today. 

Baseball is definitely going to factor into this one too. 

In terms of MLB draft or two-sport athlete in college?

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, El Camaron Borracho said:

In reading Jonah Williams’ bio, got me thinking about other multi sport recruits and I can’t recall any starting football players that also played baseball or basketball! Any that come to mind?

Not at Texas … Kyler Murray recently 

There haven’t been many, definitely not successfully 

• Thanks 1