What I Want to See vs. UTSA (Friday AM)

• Moderators

One day and some change before Texas takes the field at DKR for its first home game of the season.

Of course, on top of the extravagant home field extracurriculars that will be on display under the lights, the Longhorns are expected to roll big in this one. A point of emphasis coming into this game will be starting quickly, do not let the hangover of the Michigan game loom and keep an inferior opponent on the field longer than they need to be.

With that said, a handful of things I want to see as the Longhorns host the fighting Jeff Traylors Saturday evening.

Pass Rush Getting Home

Texas has been consistent in getting pressure on the quarterback through two weeks, even though the overall sack numbers look a bit bleak. Only Colin Simmons has been able to bring a quarterback down to the ground so far. While the numbers do not tell the whole story about their ability to impact the game, Saturday provides a great opportunity to stat pad a bit.

UTSA allowed 24 pressures a week ago to Texas State. Former Longhorn Jaylen Garth allowed five pressures and a sack on his own at right tackle, a spot Texas was able to exploit a week ago. I predicted five sacks on Monday for the Longhorn defense and I am sticking with that call.

Keep No. 3's Jersey Clean

In all facets of the game, this is what needs to happen for the next two weeks really. Texas has been good at it so far, a shutout from the OL against Michigan bodes very well for any postseason awards, but it is week two and that should not really be the focus. SEC play is still weeks away and even beyond then, Texas cannot allow Ewers to take unnecessary hits against a UTSA or ULM. For Ewers, this also means to protect yourself when plays break down or improvisation needs to occur.

Continued Communication

The Texas secondary has been absolutely tremendous through two games. Four total interceptions from four different members of the Texas secondary and a complete shutdown of a 2023 top-20 passing offense in Colorado State. There has been great communication thus far with Michael Taaffe, Andrew Mukuba, Derek Williams leading the way back deep. UTSA currently sits at 60–40 pass-run split on the season, one of the highest in the country. If the plan is to keep UTSA out of the end zone on Saturday, that will need to happen by communication being on point. 

Running Game

Texas State ran for 195 on 4.5 yards per carry a week ago, nothing earth shattering, but enough to provide some optimism for the Longhorn running game which has not quite hit the ground in stride to begin the season. The Texas running game has been efficient, though it has yet to be as explosive as years past. Against UTSA and ULM, I am hoping to see wide running lanes for Blue, Wisner and Gibson. The explosivity is what needs to rise and for Sarkisian, this game is set up to get that group on track.

Ewers' Day Done in 3 Quarters

Texas is one-for-one in these type of situations. The Longhorns took care of business against Colorado State to the point where Ewers was not needed late in the ballgame and Arch Manning was able to get some valuable game reps. That should be the case again on Saturday. Every rep, every throw, every second he is on the field in front of 90,000 fans is valuable for the Texas backup QB. Should something ever happen to Ewers, these are the moments that keep the Texas season on track if Manning's number is ever called. If everything goes well, you could also see Trey Owens get his first snap as well and that really would be great.

• Hook 'Em 8

1 minute ago, Texas fan in Georgia said:

That’s what I see happening. It would be the best scenario for Quinn IMO. McDaniels offense . Tyreek hill. Oh boy. Would much rather him in Miami than New York with the giants

I’m of the same opinion as you on this. However I doubt Tua retires although I believe he should. 

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Texas fan in Georgia said:

That’s what I see happening. It would be the best scenario for Quinn IMO. McDaniels offense . Tyreek hill. Oh boy. Would much rather him in Miami than New York with the giants

Keep Quinn away from that disaster of a NYG OL

• Hook 'Em 5