Kenny Baker visits Melvin Hills (Sunday 4:15pm CST)

• Moderators

Kenny Baker visits Melvin Hills

New Texas defensive line coach Kenny Baker made a trip to Lafayette (La.) Friday to meet with signee Melvin Hills. 

Hills, 6-3 and 280-pounds, had been eager for the first conversation since Baker was announced January 30.

“I talked to Coach Baker Friday,” Hills told OnTexasFootball. “He came to see me. We were talking about how the program will be with him.”

Baker told the Lafayette Christian Academy standout what the plans would be for him early on at Texas.

“He told me that I’m an important factor with my pass rush. He said I would play end most likely to start, and then move into the interior depending on how much weight I put on.”

The first impression of Baker was a positive one. 

“I like his attitude and energy. When I talked to him, he seemed like a real guy. A God first guy.”

Up next will be a discussion with Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian. That could happen this week.  

Hills remains in the fold for the Longhorns headed into the conversation with Sarkisian. 

Melvin Hills by the numbers

Hills played his senior season 265-270 pounds. Since the season ended, he’s been locked in on adding quality weight to his frame. 

He finished his three year varsity career with 168 tackles, 36.5 tackles for loss and 20.5 sacks. That included 80 tackles, 19.5 tackles for loss and 14.5 sacks as a senior. 

View full news

• Hook 'Em 7

29 minutes ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Kenny Baker visits Melvin Hills

New Texas defensive line coach Kenny Baker made a trip to Lafayette (La.) Friday to meet with signee Melvin Hills. 

Hills, 6-3 and 280-pounds, had been eager for the first conversation since Baker was announced January 30.

“I talked to Coach Baker Friday,” Hills told OnTexasFootball. “He came to see me. We were talking about how the program will be with him.”

Baker told the Lafayette Christian Academy standout what the plans would be for him early on at Texas.

“He told me that I’m an important factor with my pass rush. He said I would play end most likely to start, and then move into the interior depending on how much weight I put on.”

The first impression of Baker was a positive one. 

“I like his attitude and energy. When I talked to him, he seemed like a real guy. A God first guy.”

Up next will be a discussion with Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian. That could happen this week.  

Hills remains in the fold for the Longhorns headed into the conversation with Sarkisian. 

Melvin Hills by the numbers

Hills played his senior season 265-270 pounds. Since the season ended, he’s been locked in on adding quality weight to his frame. 

He finished his three year varsity career with 168 tackles, 36.5 tackles for loss and 20.5 sacks. That included 80 tackles, 19.5 tackles for loss and 14.5 sacks as a senior. 

View full news

What do you see as far as his upside? How much weight can you see his frame holding?

• Hook 'Em 1