Steve Sarkisian Post Game Press Conference (Miss State)

• Moderators

Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian is speaking with the media after the Longhorns victory over Mississippi State.

It was ugly and I am sure there will be some changes coming. But a win is a win, especially now in SEC play where they matter a bit more.

Notes and quotes in the comments below.

• Hook 'Em 5

• Moderators

Sarkisian says he wanted to get Arch's "batting average" up today on easy completions. Says a week ago he was perhaps too much of a home run hitter.

"Some things today that Arch Manning did really, really well."

• Hook 'Em 3

• Moderators

"I hate it for Jaydon, he didn't want to fumble." – Sark.

Sarkisian says he is concerned for the psychy of players when there are blips like consecutive fumbles in games. He didn't want ball security to get into Blue's heads.

• Hook 'Em 4

• Moderators

Sarkisian says he does not know if teams in the past at Texas would have overcome the issues that showed up for the Longhorns today. 

Shares he told the team he was pleased that Texas was able to pull away while showing the poise and composure needed.

• Hook 'Em 5

• Moderators

Sarkisian says he was cussing out himself on the first Jaydon Blue fumble because he had a different play call in his mind that he ended up going against. Says he had schemed for that exact situation yet went with the run that ended up in a turnover.

• Hook 'Em 4

• Moderators

The game plan defensively was to force Miss State to throw the football. That clearly was not the case for the Texas D in the 1H, however you saw what they wanted to do by pinning their ears back and getting after the QB.

• Hook 'Em 2

• Moderators

"We are seeing his impact in the run game more as the season goes on."

Sark on Colin Simmons.

Adds that Texas was able to add to his plate today by lining him up over centers and guards rather than just strictly tackles.

• Hook 'Em 4

15 minutes ago, CJ Vogel said:

Sarkisian: "Hopefully we will get Quinn (Ewers) back for OU, we will seen."

History has shown us, its hard enough to get past OU's hitting and cheap shots even when youre healthy. If Quinn is still not 100% we could lose him for the season in that game.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, CJ Vogel said:

Sarkisian says on the 4th down failure he wanted to go for it on 4th if it was under 4th and 4. The false start moved the down to 4th and 3.

I still think it was poor game management. If you want to go for it fine, that’s cool, but you never take points off the board. It’s not like we’re going for it from the 50 or something…we had 3 on the board 😔 I’m hoping he only decided to do this because it was Mississippi State. There’s absolutely no way you could do that against a better SEC opponent. Take the points Sark!

Edited by FatherofMinky
  • Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, FatherofMinky said:

I still think it was poor game management. If you want to go for it fine, that’s cool, but you never take points off the board. It’s not like we’re going for it from the 50 or something…we had 3 on the board 😔 I’m hoping he only decided to do this because it was Mississippi State. There’s absolutely no way you could do that against a better SEC opponent. Take the points Sark!

Sarkisian said at 4th and 3 to go, he had decided to go for it. When the offsides was called, that made it 4th and 3.  Hence the acceptance and try.

He also chided himself in the third person.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, CJ Vogel said:

Sarkisian says on the 4th down failure he wanted to go for it on 4th if it was under 4th and 4. The false start moved the down to 4th and 3.

I don't care what the yardage  was on that 4th down, you never, ever take points off the board! To add insult to injury, the play call was piss poor.

• Hook 'Em 1