5 First Rounders?

• Moderators

I'm up in Dallas hitting schools ... was told today that Cam Williams is expected to enter the draft if he has 1st or 2nd round grade (from wherever the internal info comes from, not just NFL).

We shall see if that is the case, but the person that told I take at their word right now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Bobbers said:

I agree, but if he stays healthy he is going to play in the NFL for a long time.  He is so tough and an excellent open field tackler.  On any given play he can be trusted to cover any skill position on the field.  Most importantly, he is a smart football player.

I bet he is gone before the start of the 4th round.

I have him round 2-3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

I'm up in Dallas hitting schools ... was told today that Cam Williams is expected to enter the draft if he has 1st or 2nd round grade (from wherever the internal info comes from, not just NFL).

We shall see if that is the case, but the person that told I take at their word right now. 

Would not shock me either. Everything I’m hearing & seeing is the NFL guys may think he has the biggest ceiling in the entire class on the OL.

Also, randomly I saw today Bengal put out a mock draft. He’s of course a huge Texas fan but he usually isn’t just blowing smoke or showing extreme favoritism. He had Cam Williams at #2 overall!!

Edited by goattalk100

12 hours ago, ArizonaLonghorn said:

Anyone else remember the Greatest Recruiting Class in History from 2022?  Those players are now eligible for the draft but the only A&M player on this list of projected first rounders is a transfer from Purdue. And the only name I recognize from that original class is LT Overton, who is now at Alabama.  Eight 5* recruits in one class and very little to show for it.

As a wise man once said "You guys keep talking about a $20 million roster ... [but] If you don't pay the right guys, you'll be sh-- out of luck."  Or don't have the right staff to develop them.

Jimbo wanted stars not championships lol.

8 hours ago, Burnt Orange Horn said:

The real question is, can Cam accelerate his learning curve of LT faster in college or the NFL?  I am betting basic skills and schemes are learned faster playing in college.

I think based on what he’s already put on tape, the NFL guys don’t think that will be a major problem.

I read an article on the Athletic by Dane Brugler today. The article was Draft Watch from Oct 3rd. In the article he wrote that some scouts told him based on raw traits Cam Williams could go higher in the draft than Banks. 
I personally believe Dane is one of the best draft gurus in the industry and if he is putting those words in an article then it’s a true statement. 
I'm not saying Cam is going higher than Banks. I’m saying that is how high scouts are on Cam. 

5 hours ago, Flynn said:

I read an article on the Athletic by Dane Brugler today. The article was Draft Watch from Oct 3rd. In the article he wrote that some scouts told him based on raw traits Cam Williams could go higher in the draft than Banks. 
I personally believe Dane is one of the best draft gurus in the industry and if he is putting those words in an article then it’s a true statement. 
I'm not saying Cam is going higher than Banks. I’m saying that is how high scouts are on Cam. 

I’ve seen that more & more, the NFL loves traits & Cam’s measurables are a little better than Banks. But I think Banks still gets drafted ahead of Cam.

4 hours ago, CoachBobbyFinstock said:

Banks as the top overall pick is wild to me.

1st rounder? No doubt. Overall? Dang…

An OT has been drafted #1 overall twice.  1968 with Ron Yary to the Vikings and 1997 with Orlando Pace to the Rams.  Both players are in the hall of fame.

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Flynn said:

I've referenced a story on Banks and Williams a few times on the OTF youtube channel ... because it was such an interesting Q. I was at the Summer Creek vs Atascocita game early in Banks' senior season. Mario Cristobal and his OL coach were there. They were still at Oregon prior to take the Miami job after the season. We were chatting and Cristobal asked who I thought would be better long term ... Kelvin Banks or Cameron Williams. I thought that was such an interesting question from Cristobal because you only ask that question if they were thinking Cam's upside was that high (which it was/is). 

I'm a broken record, but the next two games are going to determine where Cam Williams goes on draft boards. Two solid games, he's going to keep flying up boards and will start getting a lot of top 15 pick mocks IMO. 

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

I've referenced a story on Banks and Williams a few times on the OTF youtube channel ... because it was such an interesting Q. I was at the Summer Creek vs Atascocita game early in Banks' senior season. Mario Cristobal and his OL coach were there. They were still at Oregon prior to take the Miami job after the season. We were chatting and Cristobal asked who I thought would be better long term ... Kelvin Banks or Cameron Williams. I thought that was such an interesting question from Cristobal because you only ask that question if they were thinking Cam's upside was that high (which it was/is). 

I'm a broken record, but the next two games are going to determine where Cam Williams goes on draft boards. Two solid games, he's going to keep flying up boards and will start getting a lot of top 15 pick mocks IMO. 

I think Cam is almost a round 2 lock at this point based on what he’s put on tape, combined with his ideal measurables. He already has some dominant tape & has looked more solid (minus the Mich game false starts) than most of the other top tackles. I think he’s a better long term prospect than Amarius Mims.

I’m going to start thinking of a pro comp for him but who would you say he reminds you of @Gerry Hamilton?

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, goattalk100 said:

I think Cam is almost a round 2 lock at this point based on what he’s put on tape, combined with his ideal measurables. He already has some dominant tape & has looked more solid (minus the Mich game false starts) than most of the other top tackles. I think he’s a better long term prospect than Amarius Mims.

I’m going to start thinking of a pro comp for him but who would you say he reminds you of @Gerry Hamilton?

Good Q ... not sure I have one on him. Williams is likely seen similar to a Leonard Davis type by some scouts ... they know he will be a kick ass guard in the NFL, so he's got that. But if he can play RT at a multi-year starter level, then he may end up in the top 15 overall. 

Mims has more body quickness IMO. More of a lock to play OT in the NFL. Mims was a tremendous athlete at his size having seen him in HS. 

3 minutes ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Good Q ... not sure I have one on him. Williams is likely seen similar to a Leonard Davis type by some scouts ... they know he will be a kick ass guard in the NFL, so he's got that. But if he can play RT at a multi-year starter level, then he may end up in the top 15 overall. 

Mims has more body quickness IMO. More of a lock to play OT in the NFL. Mims was a tremendous athlete at his size having seen him in HS. 

I want to see Cam against some big time pass rushers this year but reshaping his body has made him really fluid for his size. I see what you mean with Mims but I think Cam’s natural power combined with the fluidity he’s shown being down around 335 is what I think gives him a chance to be special. My pro comp for Banks is Andrew Thomas btw.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, goattalk100 said:

I want to see Cam against some big time pass rushers this year but reshaping his body has made him really fluid for his size. I see what you mean with Mims but I think Cam’s natural power combined with the fluidity he’s shown being down around 335 is what I think gives him a chance to be special. My pro comp for Banks is Andrew Thomas btw.

Don't disagree with you. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I get why this is important.  But being drafted is no different than an MBA getting a Wall Street Job.   It's a running start at life.

Personally, I am only concerned about lighting the Tower orange, I want to see the next NC before I die.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/8/2024 at 5:50 PM, 4thandFive said:

Not surprised to see Jeanty to Dallas. I thought that same thing.

Until the idiot GM and Director of Player Personnel are FIRED cowboys will continue to under perform regardless of talent. They failed to build a team.

3 minutes ago, GoHorns1 said:

Until the idiot GM and Director of Player Personnel are FIRED cowboys will continue to under perform regardless of talent. They failed to build a team.

Oh I’m not arguing Jerry needs to stop being GM. I can’t root for them while he’s still in charge. 

But they need a RB like crazy & Jerry like flash.

• Hook 'Em 1