Film Room | Ewers or Offensive Line or Both?

CJ Vogel

1 minute ago, CJ Vogel said:

It's a tight throw no doubt. Though, one that a top 5 QB in CFB can make.

yep, agree with you but that imo he never was. Can you recall a time where he fired the ball to a WR, i mean step and gun it in? in 2.5 years, i cant. he is accurate on fluttering the ball (as Bobby likes to say) but he cant fire it in. not saying this was a fire it in situation. 

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, harveycmd said:

I'll add that I'll take Quinn over Beck in that game. All three interceptions Beck threw were on him. Georgia's front seven whipped us down after down. Quinn could have responded better, but it would have taken a performance for the ages. I'm not too worried about him.

if i were an NFL GM, i would not take either, nore would i take Cam Ward. Havent seen much of Sanders but i would not want his dad involved at all. 

• Hook 'Em 1

We'll see what Sark says at the Monday presser. (He's starting Quinn. I'm talking about film review.) I'm all for putting in Arch because I think he's more fundamentally sound with his footwork, mechanics, and he steps up in the pocket even when he knows he's going to get hit. By the time you get to December, I think Arch will be better. That said, I don't think Quinn is to blame for this loss. Pat Mahomes couldn't have won that game. The Georgia defensive front seven literally beat us all night long. 

• Hook 'Em 2

@CJ Vogel I'm currently rewatching this game, so I'm curious to see if you agree with my assessment, but honestly, it felt like there were a ton of explosives to be had if Quinn had his eyes in the right spot. Now, I don't know what the progression was on a lot of balls, but it felt like he was either really quick to get off the first read or stayed on it too long, in addition to not moving around the pocket much. To me, I think it was much more about Quinn not trusting his eyes or his body, which might be an even scarier thought than him being injured. 

Edited by pack.swear
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, CJ Vogel said:

No telling how far this catch and run would have gone for. 

Unfortunate for Ewers here. Unfortunate for the Texas offense.

Screenshot 2024-10-21 at 12.31.57 AM.png

Thanks CJ.

That is the play I was asking about. It was the first play after the Mukuba INT. Instead of a TD (or long gain) we ran 3 plays and punted. Missed opportunity.

6 hours ago, pack.swear said:

@CJ Vogel I'm currently rewatching this game, so I'm curious to see if you agree with my assessment, but honestly, it felt like there were a ton of explosives to be had if Quinn had his eyes in the right spot. Now, I don't know what the progression was on a lot of balls, but it felt like he was either really quick to get off the first read or stayed on it too long, in addition to not moving around the pocket much. To me, I think it was much more about Quinn not trusting his eyes or his body, which might be an even scarier thought than him being injured. 

I've attended almost every game of Quinn's tenure - home and away - and he is often maddening to watch in person because he gets in modes where he is ultra risk averse and won't push the ball downfield and the offense just becomes a series of checkdowns and swing passes.  Wingo - in particular - was open on many intermediate routes in the 4th quarter, and even in comeback mode QE wouldn't push the ball downfield.  Plays were definitely there to be made.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, harveycmd said:

We'll see what Sark says at the Monday presser. (He's starting Quinn. I'm talking about film review.) I'm all for putting in Arch because I think he's more fundamentally sound with his footwork, mechanics, and he steps up in the pocket even when he knows he's going to get hit. By the time you get to December, I think Arch will be better. That said, I don't think Quinn is to blame for this loss. Pat Mahomes couldn't have won that game. The Georgia defensive front seven literally beat us all night long. 

I'm sure you're being hyperbolic but we would have won the game by double digits if Patrick Mahomes was the quarterback. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, someguy said:

I've attended almost every game of Quinn's tenure - home and away - and he is often maddening to watch in person because he gets in modes where he is ultra risk averse and won't push the ball downfield and the offense just becomes a series of checkdowns and swing passes.  Wingo - in particular - was open on many intermediate routes in the 4th quarter, and even in comeback mode QE wouldn't push the ball downfield.  Plays were definitely there to be made.

Sark is risk averse to avoid INTs and prefers check downs to risky throws. QE has learned that coaching instruction well. Now, were there some open receivers that he didn't see? Sure, but with that much pressure that's understandable.

6 minutes ago, TXFF said:

Sark is risk averse to avoid INTs and prefers check downs to risky throws. QE has learned that coaching instruction well. Now, were there some open receivers that he didn't see? Sure, but with that much pressure that's understandable.

That isn't even remotely true.

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, TXFF said:

35 minutes ago, someguy said:

That isn't even remotely true.

While true that Sark doesn’t want his QB’s to turn a bad play into a worse play (ie as Sark would say….trying to make chicken salad out of chick s**t) that doesn’t mean Sark is risk averse. He’s actually very aggressive.

Remember all the deep throws that would have been TDs if Ewers had made good throws or the WR would have caught the ball. Sark doesn’t mind going for the jugular with one play drives for a long TD.

It is possible that Ewers looks for the check down if the play isn’t wide open. If so that is on Ewers.

• Hook 'Em 1

• Moderators

You take the good and the bad with Arch. This rep is one of the learning curves with a young QB. 

3rd and 6 and there’s a wide open WR about 10 yards down the field yet the deep shot is taken into a hi-low coverage for an incompletion. 

IMB_qc66qH.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, CJ Vogel said:

You take the good and the bad with Arch. This rep is one of the learning curves with a young QB. 

3rd and 6 and there’s a wide open WR about 10 yards down the field yet the deep shot is taken into a hi-low coverage for an incompletion. 

IMB_qc66qH.gif

That’s to be expected with a young QB. With how the three year starter was playing, we can’t sit here and say QE hits that’s throw either. I can say, if Arch had three years under his belt he would hit that throw 10/10. 

• Moderators
1 minute ago, TexasLonghorns said:

That’s to be expected with a young QB. With how the three year starter was playing, we can’t sit here and say QE hits that’s throw either. I can say, if Arch had three years under his belt he would hit that throw 10/10. 

I agree, but continues the longer conversation about his tendency to force down the field, where as with Ewers he forces to the check downs. Pretty interesting to watch the two and their styles clash.

On 10/20/2024 at 12:36 PM, CJ Vogel said:

Kelvin Banks just gets beat here by Mykel Williams. 

Strip sack fumble. Georgia ball. Ewers was going to the far right WR who had a step on a stumbling CB. I believe this was 4th down. 

IMB_d7E0FO.gif

I think Quinn's initial read was the seem/deep crosser to Helm. Looks like Helm thought the first defender was covering him, not the deeper defender. If Helm realizes that quicker, crosses his face, it's an easy pitch and catch in cover 2 seem. Unfortunately, Helm tries to get vertical and the Georgia DB does his job perfectly and walls him off.

14 hours ago, CJ Vogel said:

Why is Quinn looking parallel to the line of scrimmage already? No pressure, good pocket. There is no need to check down this early.

Screenshot 2024-10-21 at 12.59.17 AM.png

14 hours ago, TheContractor12 said:

100% correct, not sure whats going on downfield but our 6 have their 4 blocked very well at this point. he has >1 more second to find someone before swinging it to the RB. Eyes downfield were an issue for Quinn. 

I hear what y'all are saying and tend to agree. The one caveat I would have is that with as much man/man free/match-2 as Georgia was playing, Blue ended up being our best man beater. Getting Blue the ball quickly in space and letting Blue have the freedom to operate with the ball in his hands. Our best play was Blue on the angle route, missed it for a big gain in the first half, scored the second TD on it later.