Merril Hodge on Caleb Williams ... love it!!!

I don't get a great feeling about Caleb either. Don't love how he's handled criticism and the media, and Riley no doubt coddled him. He's made a ton of wow plays, but it seems like most of them have been off schedule and that's not gonna work for him in the NFL IMO. And Lamar Jackson seems to be the only "running" QB who's avoided significant injury, so I wouldn't put to much stock in that skillset. 

Overall I think he's more of a project then people realize. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I don't get a great feeling about Caleb either. Don't love how he's handled criticism and the media, and Riley no doubt coddled him. He's made a ton of wow plays, but it seems like most of them have been off schedule and that's not gonna work for him in the NFL IMO. And Lamar Jackson seems to be the only "running" QB who's avoided significant injury, so I wouldn't put to much stock in that skillset. 

Spot on for me.  He may end up being the player everyone seems to think he can be, however, I definitely think he is a bigger project than most people realize as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

He's regressed it feels like because he started trying to make every play a touchdown. And Riley didn't rein him in.

He needs to go back to basics.

That's what Reid did with Mahomes. Kingsbury had let Mahomes get too free and loose as well IMO.

• Hook 'Em 1

I have a hard time with QBs from the Riley system. There are just so many first read throws, that it’s really hard to figure out how well they actually read the field. I always found it odd that people put a discount on Leach QBs, but never on Riley QBs. 

I agree but Caleb has been the best QB Riley has had.  The problem is that QB in Riley’s system does not have to be the most talented. The QB just has to get the ball out quickly. You can see Caleb struggle if he can’t get his first option.  I think defenses schemed better this year.  Also think the Wars this year were not as good. Branch didn’t seem to be used as much as he could have. Both Deboer and Sark has shown to have good offensive schemes and QBs have improved in development each year.

I think with Washington hiring Kingsbury as the OC they may try to trade up to get Caleb. Kingsbury was with USC this year so Kingsbury knows Caleb.  The question will be are we seeing another Ryan Leaf or someone who can be coached to maximize his potential?