Spring Ball Agenda | Swagger in the Secondary

• Moderators

We are 29 days away from the beginning of spring practice. As we continue to inch closer and closer to the highly anticipated start of the next era of Texas Football in the SEC, there remains a number of high priority boxes that remain unchecked at the moment.

Over the next four weeks, I will be taking a look at some of the biggest team needs going into spring ball based off conversations I have had with folks around the program. Today, we begin in the secondary.

It was seven weeks ago when Michael Penix threw for 430 yards in the College Football Playoff against the Texas defense. A night where it felt like he could do no wrong, Penix torched a Texas secondary who had been suspect seemingly all season long. 

Texas has seen some attrition from the secondary room in those past seven weeks, and while the nucleus of the rotation remains the same, an influx of talent with fresh faces arriving this semester was needed.

I had a conversation with someone close to the program last week who mentioned there was not enough swagger in the Texas secondary last year. It is a topic that Rod and I have explored on Longhorn Livestreams over the past month, however, now I am hearing it from the inside.

There is a lot of confidence with this unit and it has been showing thus far in organized throwing sessions and offseason workouts. I don't think anyone will find it surprising that defensive backs like to talk. It is part of the position to have that confidence and approach to the game that results in jawing a bit during practice. 

That conversation about the DB room left me with the impression the on-field play will be much improved in large part because of the mindset in the room now. The return of Terrance Brooks and Malik Muhammad starts this conversation. I would be remiss if I did not include Gavin Holmes here in this conversation as well. I have also heard that adding Andrew Mukuba to the room has also brought an extra gear out of Jahdae Barron.

I expect to see a different and unrestrained Derek Williams. Despite a great freshman campaign, no spring ball kept Williams from really playing as loose and free as he would have with an extra 15 practices under his belt. 

This room is confident. There is more chirping from their side of the ball and an aura to return to the illustrious Defensive Back U title to the Texas defense which has seemingly been tossed to the wayside over the last decade. As we head closer to spring ball, expect to hear about this topic as a goal for the secondary in future updates.

View full news

• Hook 'Em 8

48 minutes ago, CJ Vogel said:

I don't think anyone will find it surprising that defensive backs like to talk. It is part of the position to have that confidence and approach to the game that results in jawing a bit during practice. 

Good article.

IIRC Babers liked to talk. Who are a couple of players in this years secondary group who are the best trash talkers.

I think Babers said during his playing days “no one catches the ball on my side of the field, not even me.” referring to the fact he thought he didn’t have the greatest hands.

Edited by marathon
  • Hook 'Em 1

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, marathon said:

Good article.

IIRC Babers liked to talk. Who are a couple of players in this years secondary group who are the best trash talkers.

I think Babers said during his playing days “no one catches the ball on my side of the field, not even me.” referring to the fact he thought he didn’t have the greatest hands.

That’s the mentality you need to have in the secondary. Texas didn’t have that in 2023

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, BlakeMay said:

DBU, lets bring it back. RBU already on the rise. Hook'Em

It is very hard for anyone in the country to dispute RBU right now with the way Texas has things going + the rich tradition of stars at the position.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, NothinButDaHorns34 said:

The defensive back play has been the achilles heel of sarks program since he’s got here. 

There’s a reason Sark tried to bring on Akina and Gay as analysts. He recognizes it.