College Football Playoff: 5-7 Format Officially Approved

7 minutes ago, codaxx said:

I want to see how long that continues. The uproar over this in December is going to be deafening

I don't understand what you're saying. There are now 4 major conferences. A 5th conference from the G6 conferences will get a team into the tournament. Where is the uproar coming from on this? I have a hard time believing that many folks will truly care who the 12th team should be. This won't be anything like FSU getting left out unless I am missing something.

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don't understand what you're saying. There are now 4 major conferences. A 5th conference from the G6 conferences will get a team into the tournament. Where is the uproar coming from on this? I have a hard time believing that many folks will truly care who the 12th team should be. This won't be anything like FSU getting left out unless I am missing something.

When someone like App State or Hawaii gets in over a Texas, Michigan, or Bama the media will latch on to the unfairness of this like a dog on a bone. There is very good chance the 1-2 conference champs will be teams rated outside the top 12. Good chance that the last conference champ is not even top 20

Edited by codaxx

1 minute ago, codaxx said:

When someone like App State or Hawaii gets in over a Texas, Michigan, or Bama the media will latch on to the unfairness of this like a dog on a bone. There is very good chance the 1-2 conference champs will be teams rated outside the top 12. 

i don't think that will matter...Once they play in the bracket the better team will advance. No one will have any ground to stand on and it'll keep fans bought into the post season a little bit more

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, codaxx said:

When someone like App State or Hawaii gets in over a Texas, Michigan, or Bama the media will latch on to the unfairness of this like a dog on a bone. There is very good chance the 1-2 conference champs will be teams rated outside the top 12. Good chance that the last conference champ is not even top 20

This is known and has been discussed in the media for years now. The biggest issue with your argument is the notion that most people will care about who gets in at #11, since the G6 team will most likely be 12 due to much lower ranking. No one will care but one whiny fanbase. The fanbase of Ole Miss or Iowa will wail and gnash their teeth that they were left out and the rest of us will all just point our fingers at them and laugh. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This is known and has been discussed in the media for years now. The biggest issue with your argument is the notion that most people will care about who gets in at #11, since the G6 team will most likely be 12 due to much lower ranking. No one will care but one whiny fanbase. The fanbase of Ole Miss or Iowa will wail and gnash their teeth that they were left out and the rest of us will all just point our fingers at them and laugh. 

its almost like you have never watched the NCAA BB  selection show. There will be 3-4 days of bitching about how University X was screwed over. Look at the polls last year. If we move people to their current conferences (not a comp, but gets the point across), it would look like this,, 

Top 5 conferences Winners:

1. Michigan (Big 10) ranked #1 AP (AP by week came up first, so using that)

2. Texas (SEC) ranked #3 AP

3. FSU (ACC) ranked #4

4. Arizona (Big 12) ranked #14

5. Liberty (CUSA) ranked #18

At Large: Bama, Georgia, OSU, ,Oregon, Missouri, PSU, Ole Miss

Last 3 out: OU, LSU, ND. 

Making the playoffs is a 6 million payout. If we use last year as a model that SEC lost out on 12 million in revenue based Liberty and Zona getting in over LUS and OU

Edited by codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, codaxx said:

its almost like you have never watched the NCAA BB  selection show. There will be 3-4 days of bitching about how University X was screwed over. Look at the polls last year. If we move people to their current conferences (not a comp, but gets the point across), it would look like this,, 

3. FSU (ACC) ranked #4

That has four old SEC teams making the playoffs (five new ones, including Texas). That would have four from the Big 10.

So 9 of the 12 would be SEC-Big 10. Seems more than fair IMO. Of the three schools you mention, you're asking for the 6th and 7th rated SEC team to make the 12-team playoff.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Bobby Burton said:

That has four old SEC teams making the playoffs (five new ones, including Texas). That would have four from the Big 10.

So 9 of the 12 would be SEC-Big 10. Seems more than fair IMO. Of the three schools you mention, you're asking for the 6th and 7th rated SEC team to make the 12-team playoff.

I am just pointing out the rankings and the fact that SEC and Big 10 are not going to be happy to lose out on that 6 million pay out per team (that is likely going higher). We can say 9 of 12 is fair, but plenty will also say the 18 is greater than 11 and 12, so it is not fair. 

Edited by codaxx

1 minute ago, codaxx said:

I am just pointing out the rankings and the fact that SEC and Big 10 are not going to be happy to lose out on that 6 million pay out per team (that is likely going higher). We can say 9 of 12 is fair, but plenty will also say the 18 is greater than 11 and 12, so it is not fair. 

There is no perfect number. But 5 conference champs sounds reasonable so long as the Big 12 doesn't deteriorate even further.

10 minutes ago, codaxx said:

3. FSU (ACC) ranked #4

Making the playoffs is a 6 million payout. If we use last year as a model that SEC lost out on 12 million in revenue based Liberty and Zona getting in over LUS and OU

I think the issue here is that I understand what a "deafening uproar" actually means to a normal human being and you think it applies to the notion of bubble discussions.

You and Billy Liucci should get together and go bowling. I remember when he was outraged on Twitter in 2022 that a mediocre ATM basketball team didn't make the tournament. He also still brings up the notion that somehow ATM got royally screwed with the CFP in 2020 even though ATM lost to the 1 seed, Bama, by 4 touchdowns earlier in the season and the only people interested in a depantsing in a rematch were the masochists in the ATM fanbase. The response to both of those situations from people who aren't fans of that program was certainly "deafening" - in its silence. Same as it will ever be when someone gripping for the last seed fails to get the nod.

8 minutes ago, Bobby Burton said:

There is no perfect number. But 5 conference champs sounds reasonable so long as the Big 12 doesn't deteriorate even further.

I think that is a near certainty. I am of the belief it is the P2 and the rest. The economics of football seem to be assuring that is the direction we are going. I actually like including a G5 team, BSU/OU is one of the most memorable Bowls games ever. Nothing like a big upset to fans. While getting 9 of 12 teams seems reasonable, plenty of people will not like the idea of #14 and #18 getting in over #11 and #12.  Both are legitimate arguments. As the playoff payouts go up, it will also become interesting to see how hard the SEC and Big 10 fight to limit the amount of champions included. 

• Hook 'Em 1