Quick Baseball Notes For Tonight's Mid-Week Opener Against HCU

• Moderators

Texas will host Houston Christian (formerly Houston Baptist) tonight at Disch-Falk field, with the first pitch set for 6:30 (game will be on LHN). The Horns lead the all-time series 7-0 and this will be the first midweek game of the season for both teams.

The Longhorns enter tonight's contest 2-1 and the Huskies, fresh off a four game series against Le Moyne, are 3-1.

On Texas Football broke the news last week that Luke Harrison is back fully healthy and would be a major part of the starting rotation this season. Tonight, that comes to fruition.

You’ll see the lefthander take the mound for Texas and Ty Dagley for HCU. 

Don’t be surprised if you see some of the younger guys tonight as well.

I do feel like this will be a fun one to watch for Texas fans. HCU is young. Their pitching just isn't that good and they lost some key players from last season.

Two guys to watch for: Dylan LaRue (son of Jason LaRue) and Samuel Benjamin. LaRue is young, but a very talented catcher. Benjamin is an absolute force at the plate.

One other recruiting note when it comes to baseball: Expect to see Texas continue their efforts out west. More specifically, California. There is a concentrated effort there for several reasons (one is the Tulo/Augie connection. I was told it was “huge”)  and the Longhorns have had success thus far. They’ll obviously continue to hit the Lone Star State hard, along with key areas, but California will be crucial going forward.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Thanks 1

For Reference

Of the top 8 ranked Perfect Game players in CA for 2023 who signed with colleges out of HS, only 2 stayed in the state. 4 of 8 in 2022 and 2021. Even before the Pac-12 died California players have been more than willing to venture out and I’m expecting that to only increase. With Texas and TCU being two major benefactors. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, hookem1 said:

For Reference

Of the top 8 ranked Perfect Game players in CA for 2023 who signed with colleges out of HS, only 2 stayed in the state. 4 of 8 in 2022 and 2021. Even before the Pac-12 died California players have been more than willing to venture out and I’m expecting that to only increase. With Texas and TCU being two major benefactors. 

Tommie Farmer and Will Gasparino are just two examples of why recruiting Calif. is important. And remember, Farmer is pretty much a walk on. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, horns96 said:

@Blake Munroe any thoughts on how the move of UCLA and USC to Big 10 will affect baseball recruiting on West Coast? 

I don’t think it will be of significance too much. Texas is already doing well out there and will continue to do so. Might it help occasionally? For sure. But I don’t think it really will affect the Horns in a positive/negative manner. 

If you’re talking about in general, however, then that’s a different story. I think schools like Arizona State and some of the Big 12 will benefit… even more so with your UC Irvine, Cal State Fullerton, San Diego, etc types. The smaller schools will get kids that don’t want to go play in the Big 10. It’s a major plus for them. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/20/2024 at 4:54 PM, hookem1 said:

For Reference

Something else to expand on this. In our current 2025 class, we are at 19 commits after the loss of Small. 10 are from Texas, 6 are from California, with 1 each from Georgia, Arizona and Wyoming. 

I’m surprised we’re playing both SD and Cal Poly at home, considering we played @CSU Fullerton last year I expected making a West Coast trip could become a yearly occurrence.