Austin Area DL Talks Texas, Recruitment

• Moderators

Made the short trip over to Vandegrift High School this morning to check in on an Austin-area defensive lineman that has really begun seeing his recruitment start to take off.

2025 DL Daeshon Morgan has earned offers from Cal, Texas Tech, UTSA, UTEP and North Texas in the last month or so. I was able to watch him in workouts this morning where he was drawn to as a team leader and the coaching staff raved about his work ethic.

"The main thing that I am working on right now is becoming a leader," Morgan said. "Making sure my voice is known and also bringing everybody up with me. Another thing for me is just learning how to rest. I really don't ever take breaks and that is what can get me hurt, so I need to learn how to slow down a little bit to learn how to rest and recover."

The Vandegrift defensive lineman is one of the most physically impressive prospects I have seen this year in-person. Even better than that, he is just beginning to scratch the surface of his potential. Already at 6-foot-4 and 260 pounds, Morgan is looking to add 10-15 pounds before touching the field again this fall. Morgan's mother was a Junior Olympian trackstar as well, adding to the athleticism that jumps off the screen when evaluating his tape.

Morgan visited Texas for the Junior Day on January 20. Aside from that, TCU is the only other campus he has been able to step foot on thus far. 

"I really enjoyed it," Morgan said about his time on the 40 Acres. "It was such a blessing to be out there. Getting to see Texas as my first visit, that was a big blessing within itself. That is something I strive for and something that I will keep working for."

Now, Morgan's time on campus was prior to Texas' hiring of DL Coach Kenny Baker, and thus far, there has yet to be any contact between the two sides. I expect that to change in the spring when college coaches are able to swing by once again for spring football.

For the time being, most schools are recruiting Morgan as an interior prospect. He has a tremendous upper body and said he is more than willing to gain 40+ pounds to fit the need and scheme of whoever is recruiting him.

While coaches will be coming to see Morgan at Vandegrift, the star lineman is also hoping to get out and see campuses this spring. He mentioned wanting to go see several schools in the state of Texas, as well as Cal and Arizona State.

Morgan holds seven offers now, by the conclusion of spring football I expect that number to be doubled. I am very bullish on Morgan's potential. He can eventually hold 300+ pounds and continue holding an advantage athletically over most trench players.

View full news

• Hook 'Em 7

• Moderators

I was unable to grab photos of Morgan during his workout, but there remains plenty of room to fill out in the lower body. And he certainly has the work ethic to get to where he needs to be physically this fall.

IMG_0557.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Robert Gilbert said:

I am no expert but his film looks good, especially that third play where he pushes the olineman five yards into the backfield. He has good height and probably could get to 300+ pounds. Definitely needs further evaluation but he could be future take. 

Plenty of room to get the body ready. But great motor and an upper body that is already college ready. He looks like a player.

• Hook 'Em 4

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, Derek Handler said:

With the lack of depth at DT, we really can't afford to take "projects" can we?  Or take 1-2 projects then 3-4 upper classmen in transfer portal next year?

DT is tough because there aren't many ready-to-go guys each cycle. In a way, similarly to OL, they are always projects. Not taking projects also tends to leave you in a position where the room is thin.

• Hook 'Em 4