OTF - Will the 2024 Offense Be Unstoppable?

• Moderators

This was a very fun conversation I had with Gerry Hamilton yesterday discussing the possible personnel groups Texas could deploy on the offensive side of the ball in 2024.

We also dropped our takes on whether or not Texas’ offense this upcoming fall would be more difficult to defend than what we saw in 2023.

View full news

• Hook 'Em 5

Fun topic definitely.  The skill talent is amazing.  I do have some things that hold me back from getting too excited.  

Is the offensive line going to pass protect better than last year?  Majors took a step forward I thought.  We are waiting for the LG battle.. maybe Connor wins due to pass protection advantage over Neto?   Is DJ going to figure out blocking assignments more consistently?  Is Cam going to hold his own against the SEC pass rushers?

Is Quinn going to get less happy feet in the pocket?  Seems like he's made some progress, but too many self sacks last year.  Is he going to develop a bullet pass for situations like we needed in the CFP game?

Are the WRs going to block well enough?  It took a while but we saw nice improvements from AD over the year.  Sanders as well, but he was still not great at it.  Nyblack should be a step down in blocking IMHO.

Will the RBs stay healthy and avoid the fumble issues (I'm most worried about Blue given his size and his tough running approach).

On paper this this an offense that makes you put 5 or 6 DBs on the field, and bets their 4th and 5th receiving options can eat up even very good teams' 4th and 5th DBs while also being able to run on your light box. 

Does paper turn into points? 

• Hook 'Em 1

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Hermanator said:

On paper this this an offense that makes you put 5 or 6 DBs on the field, and bets their 4th and 5th receiving options can eat up even very good teams' 4th and 5th DBs while also being able to run on your light box. 

Does paper turn into points? 

Thats the question. Paper had yards last year but as we know, red zone had the issue that prevented points. 

• Hook 'Em 2

It’s a fun dream…just smash through the SEC scoring 40+ a game

I see our offense slowing down next year.  Minimum hurry-up, lots of first down carries, and our field of RBs running behind our line and wheel routes.  Working the clock, unstoppable 😉

I think it could be lethal later in the year but suspect that there could be an early season disconnect between QB and our bevy of new receivers until Quinn and company build up a functional on field rapport, and the new players settle into the offense. 

I think about AD Mitchell taking about half the season to fully weaponize and then multiply that by 3-4 positions on a given play dependent on personnel grouping. 

We’re not going to struggle with the forward pass, but it won’t be dominant early imoho. 

Running the 12 set probably gives up very little to running the 11 set for the passing game with Niblack.  As much as 00 and 10 sets appeal to the imagination of many fans, they are open love letters to the defensive coordinators.  With Blue, and/or Bolden, I agree the 21 sets give up nothing in the run game and virtually nothing in the passing game as and against the base 11 set.  

This off-season QE [and Arch] must reach a mutual comfort zone with three different sets and multiple skill players. The whole should be at least as good as the sum of the parts by the end of August, and greater than the sum of the parts as the season progresses.