Friday Afternoon Recruiting Nuggets (2:53 p.m. CST)

• Moderators

Friday Afternoon Recruiting Nuggets

To take you into the weekend, OnTexasFootball provides some Friday afternoon recruiting nuggets. 

Keelon Russell to attend the Texas Spring Game

OnTexasFootball 4-star quarterback and SMU commit Keelon Russell (Duncanville High) tells OnTexasFootball that he plans to attend the Texas Spring Game April 20 after an invite by the staff. Texas area recruiter Jeff Banks has been in contact recently with the 6-3, 180 pound pocket passer with plus mobility and speed. 

Russell committed to SMU in September of 2023. He has 20 offers currently, including Florida, UCLA, Houston, Duke and California since December.

Russell led Duncanville High to a second straight 6A Division I State Championship in 2023. He completed 189 of 262 passes for 3,483 yards with 38 touchdowns and just three interceptions.

John Mills visit plans 
San Francisco (Calif.) St. Ignatius 2025 IOL John Mills has put a number of spring unofficial visits on the calendar. 

Mills, 6-6 and 325 pounds, will make official visits to Washington May 31-June 2 and Texas June 14-16. Prior to that, he has a full spring of unofficial visits.

Nebraska - March 23
California - March 30
Texas - April 6
Michigan - April 7
Washington - April 13

Texas, Washington and Michigan remain the top 3 in the recruitment of the OnTexasFootball 4-star lineman. 

Josiah Sharma and Texas
Spoke with a source close to the recruitment of the 6-5, 300 pound defensive tackle. The Utah Utes have an official visit locked in June 14-16.

Sharma, now at Folsom High in Northern California, remains in contact with Texas area recruiter Johnny Nansen and defensive line coach Kenny Baker. A spring visit remains a possibility with dates being looked at. 

Alabama is a major player in the recruitment. Sharma was a Washington commit prior to Kalen DeBoer taking the job in Tuscaloosa. He made a visit to Alabama at the end of January. 

Oregon is also considered a serious player in the recruitment. 

View full news

• Hook 'Em 4

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, SuperDave0805 said:

Do you see Russell as a 2nd QB take for Texas? 

I don't. I think the spot is Lacey's. 

Texas has to make sure they are in position with another talented QB should Lacey not stick long term. Lacey is scheduled to be at Texas April 6 and 20. 

• Hook 'Em 6

• Moderators
11 hours ago, goathumper said:

I wonder if Russell getting on campus helps UT get Moore on campus. 

Not sure how long that commitment will stick, but Vols sound like the leader for Utley

Utley told me no more visits prior to announcement. 

Bo Davis had Texas in that one.