Why the Difference

Why are the rules different at the college level vs Pro?  Would it not be a better gauge and better preperation for the next level if the rules were the same?  There IMO is no benefit to different rules for different levels of competition. 

It’s been that way forever. I agree they should try to follow the NFL more closely because the NFL is actually aggressive in how they operate and change their rules, even if it’s only slightly.

Helmet communication is an example.

• Hook 'Em 1

Would it not be a better gauge and better preperation for the next level if the rules were the same?” 

I agree. There should be some overlapping rules for the college and pro ranks. However, since only a very small portion of college players play pro football, it doesn’t make sense to mirror the rules completely. After all there already mechanisms in place (the Combine, Pro Days) for prospective pro players. The college game is more wide open and more exciting than the pro version and many of us would hate seeing bogged down by pro rules. Also since college players are not as developed either physically or in their skill level differences are needed. For example, the pros requiring both feet to be in bounds to be a legal catch as compared to college needing only one foot. 

57 minutes ago, Robert Gilbert said:

Would it not be a better gauge and better preperation for the next level if the rules were the same?” 

I agree. There should be some overlapping rules for the college and pro ranks. However, since only a very small portion of college players play pro football, it doesn’t make sense to mirror the rules completely. After all there already mechanisms in place (the Combine, Pro Days) for prospective pro players. The college game is more wide open and more exciting than the pro version and many of us would hate seeing bogged down by pro rules. Also since college players are not as developed either physically or in their skill level differences are needed. For example, the pros requiring both feet to be in bounds to be a legal catch as compared to college needing only one foot. 

While I partially agree with your statement, either way it would be a level playing field.  It would prepare student athletes for the next level.  The game overall has gotten bigger and faster so while only a small portion make it to the pros, those that do would be much better prepared, and thus make them more successful.  Bottom line is the product on the field at the pro level would get better and student athletes would adjust and be better thus a better product.  Just my opinion.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, watty7796 said:

While I partially agree with your statement, either way it would be a level playing field.  It would prepare student athletes for the next level.  The game overall has gotten bigger and faster so while only a small portion make it to the pros, those that do would be much better prepared, and thus make them more successful.  Bottom line is the product on the field at the pro level would get better and student athletes would adjust and be better thus a better product.  Just my opinion.

Great points. I just don’t want to see college football get bogged down as we so often see in the pros. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I would hate to see it bogged down as well, but reality is that college football is a profession now especially with the revolution of NIL.  These guys are getting paid to be both student and athlete.  Don't get ne wrong, I believe they should be as these schools have made a metric butt ton of money off of these kids.

8 hours ago, watty7796 said:

Why are the rules different at the college level vs Pro?  Would it not be a better gauge and better preperation for the next level if the rules were the same?  There IMO is no benefit to different rules for different levels of competition. 

I sort of knew this implicitly, but Kurt Warner said something recently about trying to project college QBs - the college game doesn't even use the same football as NFL.  

• Hook 'Em 1