Why not taken offensive lineman and make him into a defensive nose guard?

Texas has so many offensive lineman, why not take one or two and see if they can play defensive tackle or nose guard? Most of these guys have probably paid defense before, and definitely has the size and the an explosiveness, it's just a matter of technique? If Texas does not pick up another defensive lineman, why not take a offensive lineman you may lose in the portal and turn him into a nose tackle?

14 hours ago, David Latiolais said:

Texas has so many offensive lineman, why not take one or two and see if they can play defensive tackle or nose guard? Most of these guys have probably paid defense before, and definitely has the size and the an explosiveness, it's just a matter of technique? If Texas does not pick up another defensive lineman, why not take a offensive lineman you may lose in the portal and turn him into a nose tackle?

Takes much more athletic ability to play DT than offensive line. Most OL prospects cant do it and the ones that can are plus athletes youd want to develop on the OL. Devon Campbell for example

Why not take a high rated WR and make him play CB? I used to be able to do that in Madden and they were always rated 99. We'd be unstoppable.

On a more serious note, big guys who play OL usually just play DL if they have the athleticism/disposition for it. If there is ever a move, it is generally from DL to OL. Few are like A'Shawn Robinson who could have done both at a very high level.

Look at a guy like Devin Coleman from '25 at Cedar Hill. Played DL and was good enough to get some attention, but once he moved to OL he started getting serious looks from programs like Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just asking the question, Texas has a national championship quality team with the exception of death at defensive tackle. And if we can't pick up a defensive tackle in the portal then that may be the biggest issue next year. So I was thinking out of the box a little, we have a  offensive lineman playing tight end who has caught a couple of passes, that's pretty athletic?  Is it good chance we lose two or three offensive lineman in the portal this year, just looking at potential options.

1 hour ago, David Latiolais said:

Just asking the question, Texas has a national championship quality team with the exception of death at defensive tackle. And if we can't pick up a defensive tackle in the portal then that may be the biggest issue next year. So I was thinking out of the box a little, we have a  offensive lineman playing tight end who has caught a couple of passes, that's pretty athletic?  Is it good chance we lose two or three offensive lineman in the portal this year, just looking at potential options.

OL simply aren't as athletic as DTs and NTs need to be at the college level. People are politely trolling you because this concept is not new and never happens for a reason. It's not "out of the box a little". It's simply a bad take. 

Also, let's not wish any "death" at defensive tackle. Maybe you think there is a dearth, but we'll see what the staff thinks. If they want guys from the portal after the spring practices, they will have the NIL capabilities to obtain them. There is a very strong possibility that they're going to get a very well regarded DT from the portal, which is going to make all of the handwringing on the boards over DT look silly. 

I do hope we pick up a really good DT in the portal, but they are few and faw between. The idea the OL players are not athletic is ridiculous,  of course they are. Coaches will always view OL guys that are big and athletic a premium because they protect the quarterback. Yes it's a different skill set than a defensive lineman, but in today's world offensive lineman with really good feet play offensive tackle, you see centers that can pull and block because they have good feet. Yes Byron Murphy and Sweat were two great defensive tackles who were big and athletic, but as far as the other defensive tackles on this team they are not nearly as athletic, and I would say that Kam Williams and Trevor Goosby are just as athletic as any of the defensive tackles. I know it's easier to recruit a defensive  tackle who has played that position his entire career, then trying to teach an offensive lineman a new position, so I get that. But what happens if you don't pick up a defensive tackle in the portal and somebody gets hurt?

And no I'm not suggesting that they should move Cam or Trevor, just making a point about athleticism.

On 3/6/2024 at 1:56 PM, closetojumping said:

I also think it is high time for this staff to stop piddling around and give Corey Redding his deserved shot at linebacker.

You spelled Roschon Johnson wrong.

18 hours ago, David Latiolais said:

I do hope we pick up a really good DT in the portal, but they are few and faw between. The idea the OL players are not athletic is ridiculous,  of course they are. Coaches will always view OL guys that are big and athletic a premium because they protect the quarterback. Yes it's a different skill set than a defensive lineman, but in today's world offensive lineman with really good feet play offensive tackle, you see centers that can pull and block because they have good feet. Yes Byron Murphy and Sweat were two great defensive tackles who were big and athletic, but as far as the other defensive tackles on this team they are not nearly as athletic, and I would say that Kam Williams and Trevor Goosby are just as athletic as any of the defensive tackles. I know it's easier to recruit a defensive  tackle who has played that position his entire career, then trying to teach an offensive lineman a new position, so I get that. But what happens if you don't pick up a defensive tackle in the portal and somebody gets hurt?

And no I'm not suggesting that they should move Cam or Trevor, just making a point about athleticism.

1) No one said OLs aren't athletic. That's you either reading incorrectly or purposely propping up a strawman in order to tear him down. Don't care which it is, but it's wrong either way. 

2) Flood didn't recruit OLs into the program only to then convert them as emergency filler. Flat out. 

3) OLs didn't show up on campus only to be forced into a position switch that likely destroys their career. You completely ignore this in your premise. With the portal today, give us a frigging break on this working out if attempted. 

4) You poo poo the notion of a dramatic position switch for a single football season's needs not working out at all. It's absurd to witness.

5) Look around. This kind of thing rarely ever happens and rarely ever works beyond that. Across the span of FBS, yearly, we rarely hear about this notion.

Anyway, here's some free advice for fomenting a better discussion the next time you want to roll out a premise that you're already convicted on:

"I believe that it would be straightforward and simple to make X (dramatic change) happen with this roster and this coaching staff. I feel like I am the first person to have this insight, and I think I need help getting this concept into this coaching staff's hands. With that considered, I am submitting this open letter for the board's perusal. Hopefully someone will get this in front of someone on the staff."

Then proceed with your screed. 

22 hours ago, closetojumping said:

1) No one said OLs aren't athletic. That's you either reading incorrectly or purposely propping up a strawman in order to tear him down. Don't care which it is, but it's wrong either way. 

2) Flood didn't recruit OLs into the program only to then convert them as emergency filler. Flat out. 

3) OLs didn't show up on campus only to be forced into a position switch that likely destroys their career. You completely ignore this in your premise. With the portal today, give us a frigging break on this working out if attempted. 

4) You poo poo the notion of a dramatic position switch for a single football season's needs not working out at all. It's absurd to witness.

5) Look around. This kind of thing rarely ever happens and rarely ever works beyond that. Across the span of FBS, yearly, we rarely hear about this notion.

Anyway, here's some free advice for fomenting a better discussion the next time you want to roll out a premise that you're already convicted on:

"I believe that it would be straightforward and simple to make X (dramatic change) happen with this roster and this coaching staff. I feel like I am the first person to have this insight, and I think I need help getting this concept into this coaching staff's hands. With that considered, I am submitting this open letter for the board's perusal. Hopefully someone will get this in front of someone on the staff."

Then proceed with your screed. 

Thanks for the advice.