College Basketball Transfer Portal Thread

11 hours ago, bierce said:

Double digit scorer or rebounder?  I was thinking more along the lines of Codie playing 15-18 reasonably effective minutes a game.

I had planned to go to some of Codie’s games but he got hurt before I could get to one. 

Just now, Jordan91 said:

If skill is possible then you take it. 

Well sure...I would love to have Hakeem Olajuwon playing center next year. Unfortunately, I haven't heard any good options outside of Garrison.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, TarrantCoHorn said:

Walk on?

I can't see Presley accepting a walk on role.  He was originally offered scholarships from a bunch of power conference programs including Houston, Texas, A&M, LSU, Oklahoma State, Arizona State, Mississippi, and TCU.  He'd be given a scholarship again somewhere.

We now have 11 committed to scholarship if all our guys who aren't in the portal return and the incoming class remains intact. 

But I am curious of what his role would be.  He was supposedly a defensive stalwart in high school, but if he can't get something going on offense, then he's not going to play much.  He shot terribly from the arc for Vandy, but it was too small a sample to make a call about whether he can shoot from there.  HS senior 28% doesn't bode well.  He didn't rebound much at all on the defensive end, but he was pretty good on the offensive glass.  Got to the line a lot because of it, but he missed more than he made from there. 

So we have the room on the roster but unless he finds a role on offense, I think he's going to be buried on the bench for a year.  

There are a bunch of good sfs in the portal, and Presley doesn't seem to address our real needs, so this is kind of weird.  Maybe Pryor is leaving and this is a depth move.  Maybe it's a long term projection.  Maybe it's getting a defensive stopper to make our guys work harder in practice.  Maybe it is to get a lockdown defender on the perimeter.  Maybe it is to put him and Pryor in a basketball version of a cage match for a year to make them both much better players.  I really don't know what this move is about.

But I don't think Terry grabbed him just for the sake of grabbing him.  I suspect there is a reason.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, bierce said:

I can't see Presley accepting a walk on role.  He was originally offered scholarships from a bunch of power conference programs including Houston, Texas, A&M, LSU, Oklahoma State, Arizona State, Mississippi, and TCU.  He'd be given a scholarship again somewhere.

We now have 11 committed to scholarship if all our guys who aren't in the portal return and the incoming class remains intact. 

But I am curious of what his role would be.  He was supposedly a defensive stalwart in high school, but if he can't get something going on offense, then he's not going to play much.  He shot terribly from the arc for Vandy, but it was too small a sample to make a call about whether he can shoot from there.  HS senior 28% doesn't bode well.  He didn't rebound much at all on the defensive end, but he was pretty good on the offensive glass.  Got to the line a lot because of it, but he missed more than he made from there. 

So we have the room on the roster but unless he finds a role on offense, I think he's going to be buried on the bench for a year.  

There are a bunch of good sfs in the portal, and Presley doesn't seem to address our real needs, so this is kind of weird.  Maybe Pryor is leaving and this is a depth move.  Maybe it's a long term projection.  Maybe it's getting a defensive stopper to make our guys work harder in practice.  Maybe it is to get a lockdown defender on the perimeter.  Maybe it is to put him and Pryor in a basketball version of a cage match for a year to make them both much better players.  I really don't know what this move is about.

But I don't think Terry grabbed him just for the sake of grabbing him.  I suspect there is a reason.  

He’s back in the portal next year. Why Texas is concerned about signing this guy is beyond me. Focus on what they need. 

Arkansas grabbed Aidoo, so I guess Garrison is down to Texas or OU (or maybe he'll still visit Kentucky).  FWIW, OU is a mess right now with everyone bailing on Moser.  There should be plenty of minutes for Garrison there, but when the entire backcourt decides to flee, you have to think there are some problems in Norman, where Moser has yet to make a tournament appearance and is 20-34 in conference over three seasons.

Edited by bierce
add info

9 hours ago, bierce said:

Arkansas grabbed Aidoo, so I guess Garrison is down to Texas or OU (or maybe he'll still visit Kentucky).  FWIW, OU is a mess right now with everyone bailing on Moser.  There should be plenty of minutes for Garrison there, but when the entire backcourt decides to flee, you have to think there are some problems in Norman, where Moser has yet to make a tournament appearance and is 20-34 in conference over three seasons.

Remember Gerry said if it’s OU or Ok State it’s for family reasons. 

Garrison has no scoring ability outside the paint but very underrated passer which was main reason I wanted him. Block and rebound numbers solid for a big but not elite (for context averaged 2.6 blocks per 40 minutes and Onyenso from Kentucky who’s also in the portal averaged 5.9 per 40). Haven’t seen us linked to Onyenso and other than him not sure who else is out there that would’ve clearly been better than Garrison.