College Basketball Transfer Portal Thread

• Moderators
15 hours ago, bierce said:

I have two questions, or rather a first question and a second question in two parts.

First question is whether Texas is looking to the portal just for one year plug and play types, long term contributors for roster stability and continuity, or some mix of those?

Second question is whether Keanu Dawes of Rice is actually in the portal or not, and if he is, then is Texas interested? 

Texas would prefer to have a couple of two year players out of the portal ... but they have to be good enough in Texas' eyes. Texas doesn't want four one year guys out of the portal for sure. 

The biggest issue right now is the initial NIL asking prices for guys in the portal is certainly out of control ... like extremely out of control. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Texas would prefer to have a couple of two year players out of the portal ... but they have to be good enough in Texas' eyes. Texas doesn't want four one year guys out of the portal for sure. 

Glad to hear it.  Our list of candidates to return for 2025-26 has shrunk to Weaver, Pryor, Mitchell, and the incoming freshmen, and it is hard to see either Mitchell or Tre Johnson being here that long.

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, bierce said:

Glad to hear it.  Our list of candidates to return for 2025-26 has shrunk to Weaver, Pryor, Mitchell, and the incoming freshmen, and it is hard to see either Mitchell or Tre Johnson being here that long.

It's going to be a very interesting portal ... the coaching carousel is going to impact IMO 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

The biggest issue right now is the initial NIL asking prices for guys in the portal is certainly out of control ... like extremely out of control. 

Who knew firing Bob Lanier would start all this? Gerry the only way NIL goes down is if all colleges won’t pay it. Storr just crossed Kansas off his list and went to Illinois. I have a feeling he will stay in the draft. This year’s draft is extremely weak. It’s not fair to Terry to give him a budget. If this was Sark there is no issue. If there is a money issue it hurts Terry. Don’t want to see Terry go and Texas give the next coach everything he wants including NIL. Which is what the next coach would demand. Are the prices ridiculous? Of course they are. It is what it is though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Jordan91 said:

Who knew firing Bob Lanier would start all this? Gerry the only way NIL goes down is if all colleges won’t pay it. Storr just crossed Kansas off his list and went to Illinois. I have a feeling he will stay in the draft. This year’s draft is extremely weak. It’s not fair to Terry to give him a budget. If this was Sark there is no issue. If there is a money issue it hurts Terry. Don’t want to see Terry go and Texas give the next coach everything he wants including NIL. Which is what the next coach would demand. Are the prices ridiculous? Of course they are. It is what it is though. 

I see little reason why Texas should not have NIL commensurate with most other programs chasing top basketball talent.  After all, we pay our coach over 2 million less than we were paying Beard and between 6 million and 1.5 million a year less than the coaches receive at somewhere between 12 and 15 other programs that have reasonable expectations for second weekends in most seasons, depending on salaries given to Enfield and Musselman at their new schools.   I'm assuming Kentucky will pay whoever huge dollars. 

Edited by bierce
  • Hook 'Em 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, carsonsmith84 said:

@Gerry Hamiltondo you really think that Hurley is a legit option for UK? They seem to think so 

The only way I can see it is if Hurley wins tonight, and there's nothing left to accomplish at UConn in his mind. The conversations with Billy Donovan last summer about trying to repeat, and after if you do would be great to hear/know about. 

The other thing would be the future of college sports and NIL. What does that look for with UConn? SEC is the best positioned conference for the long haul, and Kentucky is the best job in the SEC - if not the country. 

I would be surprised if he made the move, but don't know for sure. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

The only way I can see it is if Hurley wins tonight, and there's nothing left to accomplish at UConn in his mind. The conversations with Billy Donovan last summer about trying to repeat, and after if you do would be great to hear/know about. 

The other thing would be the future of college sports and NIL. What does that look for with UConn? SEC is the best positioned conference for the long haul, and Kentucky is the best job in the SEC - if not the country. 

I would be surprised if he made the move, but don't know for sure. 

UConn can't drum up nearly as many NIL $$ as Kentucky, Texas, tOSU, et al., but UConn, its alums, and the local businesses probably won't drop a lot of the $$ they have on the football program, so I don't think it will have too much trouble fielding quality teams long term.  The bigger question would be whether Hurley would rather stay where he is already deified and in the same part of the world he has spent his entire life  instead of chasing a bigger paycheck in a completely different sort of environment.   

I don't think Hurley is nearly entrenched in Storrs as Few has been in Spokane, but sometimes money isn't everything, particularly when you already get a lot of money.  I have not doubt about Kentucky dangling a much bigger paycheck, but I do have doubts about whether Hurley would take it.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, bierce said:

Is Mack/Pope an either/or?  Or are both being courted with an eye to Hunter possibly moving on?  

Mack would be making a big jump into the SEC. He’s from the same area KD is around. He’s 6’1 but at point guard that’s good height. 

1 hour ago, WestlakeLonghorn said:

As someone born and raised in CT and who has connections (friends in the program) I can tell you with 100% certainty that Hurley has no interest in UK.  

Huskies by double digits tonight. 

He better act like he does $$$