College Basketball Transfer Portal Thread

2 hours ago, Assistant Regional Manager said:

All due respect to Tyrese Hunter, but we shouldn't be needing a sports psychologist to help unlock someone who has started 106 college basketball games. He is who he is at this point.

I sense the fear is if we let Hunter walk we have to bring in somewhat of an unknown to replace him and that scares some. My viewpoint is it's not that hard to replace the production of a guy who was mostly a league average player at best for 80% of the season.

They have essentially been focusing on guards and wings other than Garrison. Take that with RT saying it’s up to them says something to me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• Moderators
On 4/12/2024 at 11:12 AM, CoachBobbyFinstock said:

I hope Texas has a good NIL game for hoops. That’s it seems like it’s going to come down to.

Texas can compete there. Not to the level of the number being thrown out at Arkansas, but very few could at that level if it's proven true.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Jordan91 said:

@Gerry Hamilton I am assuming this means Griffin is not coming. 

Obviously not Gerry but I don't see Griffin coming with Mark in & Johnson coming. I really hope the rumor on Pope is true but I'm still also hoping for Julian Larry to come aboard as well. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Jordan91 said:

@Gerry Hamilton I am assuming this means Griffin is not coming. 

Hard to see where there will be enough minutes available for Griffen, with 5 guys already on the roster at the 3 Guard spots (Mack, Pope (or another PG), Tre Johnson, C.Weaver, and some developmental minutes for D.Pryor).

I absolutely love Griffen, but hard to see him at Texas with Tre Johnson and T.Mack playing most of the non-PG minutes in a 3-Guard offense. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Larry, Pope, Johnson, Mark, Avlia/Shderick/Garrison is a holy moly starting 5.

If Texas does add Pope, they are playing fast with multiple 4 guard lineups next season. Kinda like the Miami team that beat us for the FF in 2023.

Pack -> Larry

Wong -> Pope

Poplar -> Mack

Miller -> Johnson

Omier -> any big we want though we could see Terry using Kent with that guard lineup and having huge lanes because of the ability of all 5 guys to shoot from BTA. 

If you think Johnson (for a baseline) comes in and makes 35% and 80% on a decent amount of attempts, you are looking at a very potent lineup.

That would be around 38% on 18+ 3PA and 82% on 18+ FTA.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Neil Leininger said:

Larry, Pope, Johnson, Mark, Avlia/Shderick/Garrison is a holy moly starting 5.

If Texas does add Pope, they are playing fast with multiple 4 guard lineups next season. Kinda like the Miami team that beat us for the FF in 2023.

Pack -> Larry

Wong -> Pope

Poplar -> Mack

Miller -> Johnson

Omier -> any big we want though we could see Terry using Kent with that guard lineup and having huge lanes because of the ability of all 5 guys to shoot from BTA. 

If you think Johnson (for a baseline) comes in and makes 35% and 80% on a decent amount of attempts, you are looking at a very potent lineup.

That would be around 38% on 18+ 3PA and 82% on 18+ FTA.

I like that Miami comparison a lot! I will say, IMO, that I think Jayson Kent needs to be the starting 4-man with how it's looking like the roster will be constructed.

Tre Johnson and Tramon Mark are both way too light at 185 pounds to be able to guard most power forwards.

Here's my starting lineup with a few hypotheticals: 

PG: Jordan Pope (Larry will also play some PG mins but will be a do-it-all combo guard as our 6th man)

SG: Tre Johnson (No explanation needed; this kid will average 15 a game at minimum.)

SF: Tramon Mark (Weaver, Larry, and a bit of Pryor will help at SG and SF off the bench)

PF: Jayson Kent (Need another stretch 4 body type to backup Kent, Nic Codie will need time to heal.)

Center: Brandon Garrison (Shedrick is a decent backup center, not good enough to start. Onyema is not good enough to play at all.)

• Hook 'Em 1

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, TarrantCoHorn said:

Oh man I already love this Payne fellow

Texas likes Payne quite a bit as well. Especially if Brandon Garrison doesn't choose the Horns

Payne has a very glaring issue too, however. He can't throw it in the ocean from the FT line so far in his college career

Payne can rebound.  He is a pretty good shot blocker for a guy who isn't a tree.  But do you still like Payne if you are aware that he has 0 offensive range and takes 95% of his shots from point blank range?  That he shoots 47% from the line over 2 seasons? 

Is 44 blocks in 746 minutes worth that?

Please tell me there is a plan B and Payne is plan C.  Or tell me Terry and Haith know how to fix his offensive game.