College Basketball Transfer Portal Thread

2 minutes ago, THookem said:

I don’t think Texas is going to be terribly disappointed by this. He isn’t Tyson. That shot he has is a little slow. Sure would have liked him but Texas just has to move on. 

24 minutes ago, Jordan91 said:

I don’t think Texas is going to be terribly disappointed by this. He isn’t Tyson. That shot he has is a little slow. Sure would have liked him but Texas just has to move on. 

I think he would rather start than play a more limited role on a team with tournament aspirations.

Or maybe he was promised opportunities to pilot the team plane on a bunch of those coast to coast flights.

• Haha 2

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, Jordan91 said:

Texas really loved him... they wanted him bad!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, bierce said:

I think he would rather start than play a more limited role on a team with tournament aspirations.

Or maybe he was promised opportunities to pilot the team plane on a bunch of those coast to coast flights.

All of it lol

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

I am sure they did. Just think his role would have been limited. He would have had two years here so, that is disappointing. I just don’t think it causes Texas to change their expectations for next year. 

12 minutes ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

He would have been extremely useful in a spread out offense with lots of moving parts, but who would he cover on defense?

12 minutes ago, bierce said:

He would have been extremely useful in a spread out offense with lots of moving parts, but who would he cover on defense?

Still wishing we could have landed Keanu Dawes.

I wonder who we might be chasing now other than Garrison.  We have 10 projected counters.  Pryor and Onyema contributed too little last year for us to think they will help much this year, so that means we have maybe 8 reliable contributors.  That is as many as we had in 2023-24, but it assumes Codie is rehabbed and ready to contribute at this level and Shedrick stays healthy.

So obviously we still need another big man or for Onyema to give us a lot more and considerably better minutes.

Until I see Codie play for us, I'm reluctant to anoint him as a plus factor at either end, so another forward with some length, mobility, rebounding chops, and shooting prowess would also be nice, but I don't know who is left who fits that description.  I heard noise when the portal first opened about Xavier Amos.  He's a very good shooter but not particularly great at rebounding. 

If there are others we are chasing, I'd love to hear about it.  I doubt Jaylen Wells is about to call, but I'd love it if he did.

Couple of players have popped up with their twenty possible landing spots. Texas is one of them. Typical letter or phone call expressing interest. One guy mentioned a kid from San Diego State, but nobody else has. 

50 minutes ago, Jordan91 said:

Couple of players have popped up with their twenty possible landing spots. Texas is one of them. Typical letter or phone call expressing interest. One guy mentioned a kid from San Diego State, but nobody else has. 

Patton from San Diego of the WCC, not San Diego State of MWC.  He could work even if he is very thin and perimeter oriented, but as you say, there hasn't been any other mention of him.

Edited by bierce

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, bierce said:

Patton from San Diego of the WCC, not San Diego State of MWC.  He could work even if he is very thin and perimeter oriented, but as you say, there hasn't been any other mention of him.

Saw Kevin Patton at Pangos Camp in LV prior to senior season. I'm a big fan of his upside. Would be a very good replacement for Rytis P. 

• Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, Jordan91 said:

Terrance Williams from Michigan is another one. 

Again a guy whose primary value is as a perimeter offensive player than as a rebounder and interior defender.  With Pope, Larry, Mark, Johnson, and even Kent, we have perimeter weapons, and I think Weaver will improve as a mid-range to long range shooter, and he's already a guy who can attack the rim from the perimeter.

So Williams could be a Petraitis replacement, but Petraitis didn't really fit our biggest area of need, no matter how wonderfully he would fit into a spread offense with 5 moving parts.

44 minutes ago, bierce said:

Again a guy whose primary value is as a perimeter offensive player than as a rebounder and interior defender.  With Pope, Larry, Mark, Johnson, and even Kent, we have perimeter weapons, and I think Weaver will improve as a mid-range to long range shooter, and he's already a guy who can attack the rim from the perimeter.

So Williams could be a Petraitis replacement, but Petraitis didn't really fit our biggest area of need, no matter how wonderfully he would fit into a spread offense with 5 moving parts.

Waiting on Garrison. Once you start seeing multiple big men getting Texas offers it will tell you how they feel about landing him. They can run a three guard lineup without the small forward. They have the length to defend that. I am not going to know what Pryor can do until I see it. Codie at best is probably not going to be a double digit scorer or rebounder next year. Onyema is staying. Have no idea if he just wants to be her or if they see something in him. He had the same exit meeting everyone else had. And he’s still here. 

6 minutes ago, Jordan91 said:

Waiting on Garrison. Once you start seeing multiple big men getting Texas offers it will tell you how they feel about landing him. They can run a three guard lineup without the small forward. They have the length to defend that. I am not going to know what Pryor can do until I see it. Codie at best is probably not going to be a double digit scorer or rebounder next year. Onyema is staying. Have no idea if he just wants to be her or if they see something in him. He had the same exit meeting everyone else had. And he’s still here. 

Double digit scorer or rebounder?  I was thinking more along the lines of Codie playing 15-18 reasonably effective minutes a game.

9 minutes ago, MarkInAustin said:

Do we even think Codie will have recovered in time to play before January?

Also, has the Rutgers Center who was a shot blocking machine in the B1G made his new home yet?

No, but we weren't on Omoruyi's list of 12 possible destinations.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

I'm one that doesn't care if Garrison goes elsewhere ... I want a little more skill with the needed size. 

I'm game for that, but who is a potential target?

• Hook 'Em 1