College Basketball Transfer Portal Thread

2 hours ago, sarcher93 said:

@Gerry Hamilton any word on Liam McNeeley? I've heard rumblings that Kansas isn't so confident.

Gerry has mentioned several times, that Texas sees McNeeley as a multi-year college player, while the McNeeley camp thinks he's a one and done. He'd want some assurances that Texas would feature him and he's probably not ready for it.

2 hours ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Texas is definitely making an attempt. I can say that

Vary opinions on just how much NIL those around Texas really want to give in basketball. If there are limits then don’t build an arena, don’t expect to get to the title game and don’t expect RT to perform miracles. Any coach that would replace him will have the same problem with that. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Jordan91 said:

@Gerry Hamilton

Thoughts on Mayo. Listed as a point guard but more of a combo guard. Would love to have him but is he that “point guard.” He’s longer but if he comes is Chris Johnson gone? Weaver, Scott, Tre, this guy. I don’t expect Hunter back. 

He's from Lawrence, Kansas ... the ball is their court on this one

• Hook 'Em 1

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Jordan91 said:

@Gerry Hamilton

Thoughts on Mayo. Listed as a point guard but more of a combo guard. Would love to have him but is he that “point guard.” He’s longer but if he comes is Chris Johnson gone? Weaver, Scott, Tre, this guy. I don’t expect Hunter back. 

Even though Tre Johnson will have ball in hand some in the ball screen action ... Texas needs a initiating PG out of the portal IMO. An initiator 75-80% of the trips down the floor. 

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Even though Tre Johnson will have ball in hand some in the ball screen action ... Texas needs a initiating PG out of the portal IMO. An initiator 75-80% of the trips down the floor. 

If the expected guys return Texas needs a minimum of three inbound portal players.  First, a true distributing and ball handling PG, preferably not a smurf, preferably with a dangerous jump shot, and definitely willing to defend;  second, a tall agile wing who can shoot and defend multiple positions [think Mitchell with three point range or at least range out to the perimeter, or think a Timmy Allen]; and third, a rim protector BIG.

That's the minimum.

I would bet that we all agree on this, btw.  

Keep watching this space!

• Moderators
1 hour ago, MarkInAustin said:

If the expected guys return Texas needs a minimum of three inbound portal players.  First, a true distributing and ball handling PG, preferably not a smurf, preferably with a dangerous jump shot, and definitely willing to defend;  second, a tall agile wing who can shoot and defend multiple positions [think Mitchell with three point range or at least range out to the perimeter, or think a Timmy Allen]; and third, a rim protector BIG.

That's the minimum.

And add in need for a second big if the right guy is possible. 

Texas better find a big that can help space the floor ... this is so key in the game today. If Texas takes two bigs that are only paint 12-15 feet players ... not ideal offensively. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, MarkInAustin said:

That's the minimum.

Don’t mind a short point guard. As long as nobody can stay in front of him. 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

And add in need for a second big if the right guy is possible. 

Texas better find a big that can help space the floor ... this is so key in the game today. If Texas takes two bigs that are only paint 12-15 feet players ... not ideal offensively. 

Lampkin is related to the late Du'Vonta Lampkin. All football fans should remember that name. “Spanish class.” Ended up at OU. 

Going after Lampkin is odd to me. So you have Shedrick, Garrison & Lampkin. That guarantees Onyema transfer. Maybe they want to upgrade so, that’s not the problem. As you said none of them are stretch fours. 

10 hours ago, pinkman_90 said:

No thanks.  We need to get more athletic, not less.  

Lampkin is good if he lays off the pot. Just look at NC State's big for reference. Don't confuse athleticism with basketball skill. Mitchell is in the Top % of basketball athletes, but in the bottom % of basketball skill. I'd take Lampkin over Mitchell everyday of the week.

• Hook 'Em 1