Texas Baseball

11 minutes ago, Blake Munroe said:

No, but just barely.

Players are eligible three years after first enrolling at a four year university, or after their 21st birthdays (whichever occurs first). So no by the first criteria, as he's only a sophomore. He's also 20 years and 5 months old and will be 20 years and 7 months old for this year's draft.

One more year!

How is Flores eligible then as he’s 20.9 now?

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, NoDakHornsFan said:

How is Flores eligible then as he’s 20.9 now?

There’s a small window the MLB gives. It’s either 45 or 90 days… don’t know for sure which one, but Flores slides in under that mark. Belyeu barely misses the cut. 

Flores, Thomas and Galvan should all be eligible. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Blake Munroe said:

There’s a small window the MLB gives. It’s either 45 or 90 days… don’t know for sure which one, but Flores slides in under that mark. Belyeu barely misses the cut. 

Is there anyway Flores comes back with big NIL package? I assume Thomas is gone.

1 minute ago, NoDakHornsFan said:

Is there anyway Flores comes back with big NIL package? I assume Thomas is gone.

Is it worth spending a chunk of the NIL package on him or would that money be better suited in the portal?

5 minutes ago, Hashtag said:

Is it worth spending a chunk of the NIL package on him or would that money be better suited in the portal?

You think there will be many SS in the portal who can hit .348 with 17 bombs and an OPS over 1.000? 

He probably isn't returning, but yes it would absolutely be worth it to pay up if he wanted to return.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Assistant Regional Manager said:

You think there will be many SS in the portal who can hit .348 with 17 bombs and an OPS over 1.000? 

He probably isn't returning, but yes it would absolutely be worth it to pay up if he wanted to return.

Money isn't unlimited....I'd argue the money it would cost to bring him back would be better suited building the team for next year. We are going to need to greatly improve all around on the roster to compete in the SEC. Also David Pierce hasn't fared well vs SEC competition in his time at Texas.

8 minutes ago, Hashtag said:

Money isn't unlimited....I'd argue the money it would cost to bring him back would be better suited building the team for next year. We are going to need to greatly improve all around on the roster to compete in the SEC. Also David Pierce hasn't fared well vs SEC competition in his time at Texas.

Well if he came back.....it would be part of building the team for next year.

Well if he came back.....it would be part of building the team for next year.

It limits your roster construction though because of money....It makes navigating the portal so much tougher for building the team, unless you're saying we rely on incoming freshmen. 

31 minutes ago, Blake Munroe said:

Would you bet on any of them returning? They would have the leverage again as JRs 

21 minutes ago, Hashtag said:

It limits your roster construction though because of money....It makes navigating the portal so much tougher for building the team, unless you're saying we rely on incoming freshmen. 

My point is you have to have a SS regardless. Whether that is paying up for a returnee or paying for one out of the portal. Either way you are spending money. 

My point is you have to have a SS regardless. Whether that is paying up for a returnee or paying for one out of the portal. Either way you are spending money. 

But you're looking at only 1 position, there are 8 other positions on the field, multiple pitchers, and etc that the kind of money used to get 1 guy back could be better suited in getting multiple guys to make the team better as a whole, which is what this team will need next year. SEC is far far far superior to Big 12...and the only saving grace this season has had was the Big 12 is absolutely awful baseball conference. 

2 hours ago, Blake Munroe said:

No, but just barely.

Players are eligible three years after first enrolling at a four year university, or after their 21st birthdays (whichever occurs first). So no by the first criteria, as he's only a sophomore. He's also 20 years and 5 months old and will be 20 years and 7 months old for this year's draft.

One more year!

Even if they've been in college < 3 years, they don't have to be 21 at the time of the draft.  They just have to turn 21 within 45 days of the draft.  I know that doesn't affect Belyeu, but it's what makes Flores eligible.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, southpaw said:

Even if they've been in college < 3 years, they don't have to be 21 at the time of the draft.  They just have to turn 21 within 45 days of the draft.  I know that doesn't affect Belyeu, but it's what makes Flores eligible.

Well I was going to say scroll up 😉… but we are both wrong. 

I spoke to someone near the program and, starting this year, you must be 21 by 07/31. No more window. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Blake Munroe said:

I spoke to someone near the program and, starting this year, you must be 21 by 07/31. No more window. 

Since Flores turns 21 on 07/31 is he eligible? What a brutal break for Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Blake Munroe said:

hmmm.... I got my info from mlb.com, but maybe they either haven't updated it or.I found an archived page.

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, southpaw said:

Who's pitching tonight?  Is it Boogie Whitehead?  If not, I would assume Charley Hurley since he has most rest of last week's starters.

Ace is for Texas, yes. For Tech it will be Kyle Robinson (4-7, 4.97 ERA). 

• Hook 'Em 1