Texas Baseball

How has a historically great program like Texas Baseball sank to where it sits now, losing to Corpus Christi. Good god I don't even have the words to describe the agony. If this is the best team Pierce can field we might not win a conference game next year.

39 minutes ago, Blake Munroe said:

I didn’t get to see it, as my son played last night and then I had to coach my youngest son’s practice…. But to lose 4-1 to TAMU-CC is not a good look. 

To me they didn’t seem ready to play. It was almost like they felt they could sleep walk through this game and still win. Bats were obviously cold. They didn’t have a lead off baserunner until the 8th and that ended up scoring their only run of the game. 

My question is what happened to Witt? Looking like there’s been another set back. 

Quick turnaround now with the series at K State starting Thursday. 

1 hour ago, cmk4pres said:

It's time for a change. There is a definite talent from us and the top sec teams and that should never be the case 

It’s an interesting discussion. I’ll admit there doesn’t seem to be a lot of cohesion in the program and he doesn’t have a huge fan base backing. Pierce doesn’t seem like “the guy” mainly (in my opinion) because he doesn’t talk a good game. And he’s always having staff turnover. Some of it has been his undoing and some wasn’t. His decision making in staff can certainly be questioned. But in the 7 seasons as head coach at Texas he has 3 college World Series appearances, 2 other super regional or regional appearances and that includes one Covid year when the season was cancelled on a solid team. So basically he’s not been to the NCAA tournament one time since he’s been at Texas. Oh and either a share or outright conference championship 3 of those years. There is absolutely no guarantee you could move on to another coach and get that same level of success. The grass isn’t always greener. 

Edited by Jerry K
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, cmk4pres said:

The trend is a downward spiral. In on field performance and recruiting. 

It hasn’t been smooth I’ll say that. Downward spiral? Too early to tell. A 15-10 start isn’t what we all wanted no doubt. But I don’t see how this justifies  getting rid of a coach less than half way through the season. I think he deserves a chance to turn it around. 

53 minutes ago, Neil Leininger said:

Everyone could see the writing on the wall with Pierce if you actually took a look at the extreme staff turnover and the context of how he made it to Omaha, i.e. not having to face strong regionals or super regionals.

Tennessee Tech at home in the Supers was a minor miracle, as we would’ve otherwise been on the road at Ole Miss when they were a top 5 program.  And we were very fortunate to win Game 3 against TTU.  Then, swept out of Omaha.

Then we somehow get USF at home for the Supers after they somehow got through the Miami regional with Miami and UF in the Regionals.

Finally, we get East Carolina in the Supers (a program that’s never made the CWS in their history) and we prevail with the big sticks in Game 3.  Well earned trip to Omaha.

I realize some will say “but Pierce has 3 CWS trips in 7 years”….that’s what the record says!  But context should matter in evaluating the “achievement” of making the CWS.  For instance, Texas has made HALF of all CWS played in the past 76 years (38), and we are the winningest program (percentage) in college baseball history.  

So, is the goal for Texas to be a top 8 team when matched against the Tenn Tech, USF, and ECU programs of college baseball?  (Top 8 meaning we make the 8-team CWS by beating those programs)?  

Texas has elite facilities, elite brand, elite history, top shelf resources, great fan support, and is located in the heart of the most talent rich high school baseball players / programs in the nation.  Why shouldn’t we aim higher than ending the season #8 in the country 3 out of every 7 seasons?  If our program “inputs” (resources) are top 3 annually, shouldn’t our results measure up?  Maybe our metric of success should be higher than finishing in the Top 8 (against non-elite competition) and getting swept out of the CWS twice?  

Pierce feels like a solid mid-major baseball lifer whose success at Texas is as much due to context and inherent advantages of the Texas program than any causation he’s bringing to the program.  Similar to Shaka, Herman, et al of the Patterson / Perrin era.  Can Pierce really maximize an elite P5 program consistently?

Don’t get me wrong…I love Texas baseball, and Pierce’s 2021 and 2023 teams accomplished things that made me a damn proud Longhorn, regardless of not winning a title.  But I see a really bad storm coming next year, and there’s no place to hide.  I hate the thought of listening to SEC fans mock us for being a bottom third team in “our sport” next season, particularly the LSU fans.  Humbling isn’t a good look for the Texas brand.  I hope I’m wrong, we shall see.

• Hook 'Em 6

4 hours ago, Glass Joe said:

Tennessee Tech at home in the Supers was a minor miracle, as we would’ve otherwise been on the road at Ole Miss when they were a top 5 program.  And we were very fortunate to win Game 3 against TTU.  Then, swept out of Omaha.

Then we somehow get USF at home for the Supers after they somehow got through the Miami regional with Miami and UF in the Regionals.

Finally, we get East Carolina in the Supers (a program that’s never made the CWS in their history) and we prevail with the big sticks in Game 3.  Well earned trip to Omaha.

I realize some will say “but Pierce has 3 CWS trips in 7 years”….that’s what the record says!  But context should matter in evaluating the “achievement” of making the CWS.  For instance, Texas has made HALF of all CWS played in the past 76 years (38), and we are the winningest program (percentage) in college baseball history.  

So, is the goal for Texas to be a top 8 team when matched against the Tenn Tech, USF, and ECU programs of college baseball?  (Top 8 meaning we make the 8-team CWS by beating those programs)?  

Texas has elite facilities, elite brand, elite history, top shelf resources, great fan support, and is located in the heart of the most talent rich high school baseball players / programs in the nation.  Why shouldn’t we aim higher than ending the season #8 in the country 3 out of every 7 seasons?  If our program “inputs” (resources) are top 3 annually, shouldn’t our results measure up?  Maybe our metric of success should be higher than finishing in the Top 8 (against non-elite competition) and getting swept out of the CWS twice?  

Pierce feels like a solid mid-major baseball lifer whose success at Texas is as much due to context and inherent advantages of the Texas program than any causation he’s bringing to the program.  Similar to Shaka, Herman, et al of the Patterson / Perrin era.  Can Pierce really maximize an elite P5 program consistently?

Don’t get me wrong…I love Texas baseball, and Pierce’s 2021 and 2023 teams accomplished things that made me a damn proud Longhorn, regardless of not winning a title.  But I see a really bad storm coming next year, and there’s no place to hide.  I hate the thought of listening to SEC fans mock us for being a bottom third team in “our sport” next season, particularly the LSU fans.  Humbling isn’t a good look for the Texas brand.  I hope I’m wrong, we shall see.

Well said

16 minutes ago, goathumper said:

Pierce is gone

Maybe this time, our AD will have the replacement identified and a deal vetted  with the coach instead of getting hefty raises for every credible P5 coach that would be a target of a program like Texas.  I know Perrin was an interim in a difficult situation, but this is how we wound-up with a mid major coach who simply doesn’t have a skill set to steer an organization at the highest level of his sport.

• Hook 'Em 1

I missed the s&^t show because I watching my 12 year old's team practice. They're more fundamentally sound and probably better coached than Texas. The pitchers can all throw strikes when needed, wish I could say the same for Texas. SMDH...🤢