This is what I hate more than anything about portal life--losing good multi-year contributors in the chase for the immediate fix for next season.

I don't know if Scott doesn't like seeing us recruiting experienced guards or especially experienced point guards, minimizing his chance to become a primary ball handler, or has heard about NIL figures bandied about for transfers and wants to put  himself back on the market. 

But I would have much preferred to keep Scott for two or thre years in lieu of bringing in someone who will play one year, keep us on the right side of the bubble but not much better in that one year and then leave. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, bierce said:

This is what I hate more than anything about portal life--losing good multi-year contributors in the chase for the immediate fix for next season.

I don't know if Scott doesn't like seeing us recruiting experienced guards or especially experienced point guards, minimizing his chance to become a primary ball handler, or has heard about NIL figures bandied about for transfers and wants to put  himself back on the market. 

But I would have much preferred to keep Scott for two or thre years in lieu of bringing in someone who will play one year, keep us on the right side of the bubble but not much better in that one year and then leave. 

I think RT just wanted to prevent a riot in Austin if he actually did his job as a public employee and won something, so he deliberately lost a high-profile recruit…Brilliant plan, worked out perfectly.

57 minutes ago, bierce said:

And Cam Scott could have played ten minutes this year and then transferred. Have no way of knowing. We are in a new recruiting world. 

• Hook 'Em 1

It’ll be interesting to see if this is a reaction to a new portal addition…or a new high school recruit coming to Texas.

Or maybe another school made him an offer he can’t refuse, NLI notwithstanding.  Arkansas?

Edited by Glass Joe

7 hours ago, Glass Joe said:

It’ll be interesting to see if this is a reaction to a new portal addition…or a new high school recruit coming to Texas.

Or maybe another school made him an offer he can’t refuse, NLI notwithstanding.  Arkansas?

Maybe he wanted to stay home in SC and go to Clemson, S. Carolina or somewhere nearby. My guess is that the staff knew he was wavering on the commitment hence the push for more guards from the portal. 

I'm starting to feel less bothered by Scott wanting out. While I thought of him as a longer term player for us, I now see him on 2025 mock drafts, and it takes just one guy putting him in the middle of the first round to make him think he is a one and done or would be if he were given a starring role right away.

And here is a mock draft, putting him not just in the first round but in the lottery.

https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-mock-drafts/?year-mock=2025

I don't see that at all, but if Scott does, then he is a only a one year rental, and a guy who will pout if he isn't given a featured role, no matter whether he deserves that role or not.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, NothinButDaHorns34 said:

Men’s basketball program is bound to stay average under terry

As much as I like CDC and what he’s done at Texas as AD so far, he needs the big 3 revenue sports (football, men’s basketball, and baseball) to become perennial championship contenders.  Football seems to be very close, but men’s basketball and baseball will probably need coaching changes to make that happen.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, qaertyisthatdude said:

As much as I like CDC and what he’s done at Texas as AD so far, he needs the big 3 revenue sports (football, men’s basketball, and baseball) to become perennial championship contenders.  Football seems to be very close, but men’s basketball and baseball will probably need coaching changes to make that happen.

I don’t follow baseball to all to have an opinion, But basketball was definitely am emotion hire and i can’t blame CDC for it.

• Haha 1

See what happens when you wait? It was so obvious with Mack. RT told Cam and Cam asked out. Amazing that it was the other way around. How are you negative Nancys feeling today? Quiet? Pretty sure any response will be negative. 😂 

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, Jordan91 said:

See what happens when you wait? It was so obvious with Mack. RT told Cam and Cam asked out. Amazing that it was the other way around. How are you negative Nancys feeling today? Quiet? Pretty sure any response will be negative. 😂 

Texas didn't want to lose Cam Scott. No matter what the narratives say. 

1 hour ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Was he ready though? Tre has one year. Don’t want to go out after one ncaa tournament win like KD. Cam was not a proven scorer. I didn’t want Cam to leave. However, his double digit scoring was a year away. Who’s to say he doesn’t portal then. There just aren’t enough minutes. 

Edited by Jordan91

1 hour ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

I don't know who might be saying Texas wanted to lose Scott, and such a statement would be abject nonsense, but I can see how the staff and Scott's handlers might have such a difference of opinion about Scott's current skills, strengths, and weaknesses that the union was going to lead to problems.

I really wish Scott would have been willing to come in, play a supporting role as a freshman, and grow into a starring role down the road, but I just don't think he's willing to do that.  Sucks to see him go, but if he doesn't want to stay in college beyond one year and accept a lesser role as a freshman, then what choice is there? 

• Hook 'Em 1

Tough deal....do you want stud 18-19 year olds or do you want to play the first weekend of April.  Hoping RT can keep up with great portal additions and call timeouts when needed so we can play deep into March 2025!