Dillon Mitchell to the portal

1 minute ago, Chewie said:

I wish him well. He just never seemed to progress or develop further while here at Texas. He would get lost and forgotten in the offense. Part of that is coaching, but a lot of that is on him in my opinion.  Any idea where he will end up @Gerry Hamilton?

Players like him get lost in the shuffle in College. Don't know if he'll get there, but his game is better suited for the NBA. Good luck to him. 🤘

• Hook 'Em 1

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Chewie said:

I wish him well. He just never seemed to progress or develop further while here at Texas. He would get lost and forgotten in the offense. Part of that is coaching, but a lot of that is on him in my opinion.  Any idea where he will end up @Gerry Hamilton?

Great Q. He's a CAA agency guy ... so he will get placed very well. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Chewie said:

Thinking he may go back closer to home so maybe Florida St or Miami or someone like that. 

24 minutes ago, Chewie said:

Usually a player improves on something from one season to the next.

He seemed like the same player from early his freshman year to the end of his sophomore year. If you told someone who was unfamiliar with the Texas program in March that Dillon was a very athletic freshman who just got to UT at the start of the semester and was already getting on the floor due to his hustle, that person would absolutely believe you, because that's what he always looked like.

It was great to pick up the guys from NIT finalist Indiana State, but Hunter and Mitchell will be missed. Do these departures signal anything about our HC? Presumably, UT will give him 1-2 more years to compete in SEC and MM. Horns played respectably in MM, and lost a tough one to TN.  Thoughts?

• Hook 'Em 1

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, ScottinTexas said:

It was great to pick up the guys from NIT finalist Indiana State, but Hunter and Mitchell will be missed. Do these departures signal anything about our HC? Presumably, UT will give him 1-2 more years to compete in SEC and MM. Horns played respectably in MM, and lost a tough one to TN.  Thoughts?

Think the 2024-25 season is a big one … Frank Haith is a very good offensive evaluator and coach … that helps in portal!

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, ScottinTexas said:

3 Top 50 players released from NIL in 16 months, outcoached in 2nd half consistently, major concerns with roster mgmt, lack of player development with roster, whining (after losing at home to a horrible team) about horns down after CDC's "embrace the hate message", etc.  I doubt our AD who loves hoops is going to prolong this to 2 years.   

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Derek Handler said:

3 Top 50 players released from NIL in 16 months, outcoached in 2nd half consistently, major concerns with roster mgmt, lack of player development with roster, whining (after losing at home to a horrible team) about horns down after CDC's "embrace the hate message", etc.  I doubt our AD who loves hoops is going to prolong this to 2 years.   

Lulz. Terry's 1st full season at Texas was a success based on the historic outcomes of the program. I agree with Gerry that this season is a big one for Terry to apply what he learned in season 1 to make changes and adapt. That will determine if Terry gets another contract. Anyone thinking Terry is getting fired any time soon for winning NCAAT games is just stupid.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

I think Mitchell improved quite a bit from his freshman season.  On offense, he increased his FT % significantly and was aggressive on the boards.  That he did not develop the 12-15' shot he needed to become a threat was certainly not on the coaching staff, and he may never become much of a shooter.  

On defense, he was called to guard all shapes and sizes of opponents and did so well, without committing the many fouls he was charged with as a freshman.  

There was a lot of development there, but I think many of you are mistaking failure to become a shooter as failure to develop.

Edited by MarkInAustin
  • Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Usually a player improves on something from one season to the next.

He seemed like the same player from early his freshman year to the end of his sophomore year. If you told someone who was unfamiliar with the Texas program in March that Dillon was a very athletic freshman who just got to UT at the start of the semester and was already getting on the floor due to his hustle, that person would absolutely believe you, because that's what he always looked like.

It’s good to see you here, my friend. I’ve been thinking you’d be pulling your hair out looking at this board..

4 hours ago, MarkInAustin said:

I think Mitchell improved quite a bit from his freshman season.  On offense, he increased his FT % significantly and was aggressive on the boards.  That he did not develop the 12-15' shot he needed to become a threat was certainly not on the coaching staff, and he may never become much of a shooter.  

On defense, he was called to guard all shapes and sizes of opponents and did so well, without committing the many fouls he was charged with as a freshman.  

There was a lot of development there, but I think many of you are mistaking failure to become a shooter as failure to develop.

It’s good to see you too, counselor. You were one of the more fair-minded commenters on sites I used to frequent like BON and TFB back in the day. I always appreciated your thoughtful contributions. I liked Mitchell. There were many things that he did quite well that contributed to winning basketball, but it was as if somebody had beaten the idea that being assertive on the offensive end is a mortal sin into his head. I don’t know how he could go to the NBA combine, perform decently, get specific feedback about his game, work all offseason on developing his offensive repertoire, and still be nothing more than a garbage man on the offensive glass. When you think about all of the poor shot selection we saw at times this year, I’m not convinced it would have been any worse to allow Mitchell to get a few more looks, in places he felt most comfortable, to help him build the confidence to be more assertive. You can’t find your game if you aren’t willing to look for it. Anyway, I think he will do just fine elsewhere, and I could see him being that missing piece for a team with championship aspirations. It’s a shame things didn’t work out better at Texas (Elite Eight ain’t bad), but he was a great teammate and nobody ever questioned his effort. I believe his best basketball is still ahead of him and I hope he finds success in the future.

• Hook 'Em 2