TCU DL transfer Damonic Williams (Wednesday 12:33 pm)

6 hours ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

TCU DL Dominic Williams is in the portal. He’s a future NFL player. 

Make no mistake, Texas will be after him.

And so will OU. 

OnTexasFootball expects OU to get a visit, and likely Texas too.

What are you doing typing Gerry??!  Get on the road and go get him.....

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

For sure. The Michigan DT’s are just chatter at this point unless they actually go in the portal. 

Is he better than Bear Alexander or Jamari Caldwell?  Just trying to understand what type of talent he is. 

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Forrest J. said:

Is he better than Bear Alexander or Jamari Caldwell?  Just trying to understand what type of talent he is. 

For me, yes. Dominic Williams would be a top 3-4 NG/zero tech that could enter the portal. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Zachery Nelson said:

Sark needs to go all in on him , he could be our missing piece for a championship season 

I don't think he is really any better then the ones we have.  I think Collins and him look the same.  But another body would help for sure.

17 minutes ago, MBHORNSFAN said:

I don't think he is really any better then the ones we have.  I think Collins and him look the same.  But another body would help for sure.

Different type of DT, and I think he's better than you are giving him credit for (no one paying me to evaluate).

47 minutes ago, MBHORNSFAN said:

Williams plays a different position than Collins.  Williams is a true 0/1/2i technique, commonly referred to as a Nose Tackle.

Collins is a 3/4/5 technique, the more traditional Defensive Tackle position.

Texas should want these two guys on the field playing next to each other as the starting IDL this season.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Glass Joe said:

Williams plays a different position than Collins.  Williams is a true 0/1/2i technique, commonly referred to as a Nose Tackle.

Texas should want these two guys on the field playing next to each other as the starting IDL this season.  

I understand that but they still like like similar type players.  

10 minutes ago, Glass Joe said:

Sounds like Bill Norton will be a take regardless. Would that mean our second-team DTs will be the 2023 Arizona starting DTs?

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Sounds like Bill Norton will be a take regardless. Would that mean our second-team DTs will be the 2023 Arizona starting DTs?

Yeah, although I think Broughton may have something to say about second team DT.  I also think Bledsoe will be at one of the IDL positions on the “obvious passing” sub package for the defense.

3 minutes ago, Glass Joe said:

Yeah, although I think Broughton may have something to say about second team DT.  I also think Bledsoe will be at one of the IDL positions on the “obvious passing” sub package for the defense.

Bryant too. We certainly won't be lacking for bodies.

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

Bryant too. We certainly won't be lacking for bodies.

I worry a bit about the fallout if we take two NTs in the next week or so.  

This would push A.Bryant to third string NT for 2024, and it’s his third season at Texas, so one assumes he’ll have some thinking to do.  And it sounds like A.January has already passed S.Mitchell on the NT depth chart, so while we may plan to redshirt January in 2024, what does that suggest about Mitchell’s future path to the playing field?

All that said, if you can get a D.Williams level talent for two seasons in your program, you do it 100% of the time and worry about the fallout later.  A 2025 NT depth chart with D.Williams, A.January, and Zion Williams will hunt.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Glass Joe said:

I worry a bit about the fallout if we take two NTs in the next week or so.  

This would push A.Bryant to third string NT for 2024, and it’s his third season at Texas, so one assumes he’ll have some thinking to do.  And it sounds like A.January has already passed S.Mitchell on the NT depth chart, so while we may plan to redshirt January in 2024, what does that suggest about Mitchell’s future path to the playing field?

All that said, if you can get a D.Williams level talent for two seasons in your program, you do it 100% of the time and worry about the fallout later.  A 2025 NT depth chart with D.Williams, A.January, and Zion Williams will hunt.

More likely D. Williams, A. Bryant, A. January.  Bryant was getting a lot of love this offseason.  Mitchell may not be here next season.

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, uthorn1374 said:

More likely D. Williams, A. Bryant, A. January.  Bryant was getting a lot of love this offseason.  Mitchell may not be here next season.

April 2024 NT: D.Williams, B.Norton, A.Bryant, A.January (redshirt?), S.Mitchell

2025 season NT: D.Williams, A.January, Z.Williams.  If A.Bryant and / or S.Mitchell are still with team in 2025, slot them behind A.January and give Zion a redshirt.

I think we can also see the possible consequences of taking both D.Williams and B.Norton on the 2024 depth chart, and even more profoundly on the 2025 depth chart.