Portal Kombat: Two hoops transfers to know (Tuesday 5:52 p.m. CST)

52 minutes ago, bierce said:

Terry is smarter than me when it comes to basketball, and he knows players and his team's needs better than me.  I will always concede these points.

However, I have reservations about Buyuktuncel.  I know he's young and likely to improve.  I know he's new to the American game and power conference level of play.

But for a guy who is lauded for passing ability for a man his size, is anyone else weirded out by the fact that his last assist came on February 1?  Steals are supposed to be another strength according to the highlight reel of him dominating against small international players, but they were a similar no-show at UCLA.  Just 4 in 424 minutes.  Just 9 blocked shots.  High foul rate, poor ft shooting, and rather pedestrian rebound numbers complete the picture of a guy who is going to be really good at . . . what, exactly?   Being a volume shooter stretch four?   30% 3pt shooting isn't uncommon for freshmen, and the 34% in FIBA U19 action is a little better, but it came in a small sample, so I don't have a lot of confidence that Buyuktuncel won't prove to be another Osetkowski--a guy who is bigger than a typical perimeter player and who wants to play on the perimeter a bunch, but who isn't a plus shooter, a plus passer, or a plus ball-handler, and a guy who doesn't show a lot of quickness or elevation on defense.  Buyuktuncel looks a little more mobile than Osetkowski and was playing at a higher level as a freshman, so maybe he will have a completely different career arc, but his stat line at UCLA is remarkably similar to Dylan's first two years at Tulane.    

Program players are over. It’s a free agency market now. Everything you pointed out is true. This guy sits or does little during the year, then he is most likely back in the portal next year. Seeing the players leaving Duke and Alabama says a lot. A guy on a final four team, may look at the current roster returning and hit the portal because he sees a better chance to win the following year at another school. 

3 hours ago, Andrew Scott said:

He was at the center of the team's love triangle. Not sure about adding that to our locker room after it completely destroyed Arkansas' season. Plus, Mark just left that environment and who knows if he would want Brazile around. 

13 minutes ago, GQ03 said:

He was at the center of the team's love triangle. Not sure about adding that to our locker room after it completely destroyed Arkansas' season. Plus, Mark just left that environment and who knows if he would want Brazile around. 

That was a lot of nonsense originally floated by Missouri fans.

45 minutes ago, GQ03 said:

You did read here that Gerry was told by UT that Texas moved on from Garrison. If they go after this guy, it would tell me he is an asset to the locker room and not a problem. 

18 hours ago, bierce said:

Terry is smarter than me when it comes to basketball, and he knows players and his team's needs better than me.  I will always concede these points.

However, I have reservations about Buyuktuncel.  I know he's young and likely to improve.  I know he's new to the American game and power conference level of play.

But for a guy who is lauded for passing ability for a man his size, is anyone else weirded out by the fact that his last assist came on February 1?  Steals are supposed to be another strength according to the highlight reel of him dominating against small international players, but they were a similar no-show at UCLA.  Just 4 in 424 minutes.  Just 9 blocked shots.  High foul rate, poor ft shooting, and rather pedestrian rebound numbers complete the picture of a guy who is going to be really good at . . . what, exactly?   Being a volume shooter stretch four?   30% 3pt shooting isn't uncommon for freshmen, and the 34% in FIBA U19 action is a little better, but it came in a small sample, so I don't have a lot of confidence that Buyuktuncel won't prove to be another Osetkowski--a guy who is bigger than a typical perimeter player and who wants to play on the perimeter a bunch, but who isn't a plus shooter, a plus passer, or a plus ball-handler, and a guy who doesn't show a lot of quickness or elevation on defense.  Buyuktuncel looks a little more mobile than Osetkowski and was playing at a higher level as a freshman, so maybe he will have a completely different career arc, but his stat line at UCLA is remarkably similar to Dylan's first two years at Tulane.    

Seems like Dylan is actually having a really good career in Europe, which is interesting.

1 hour ago, whereiend said:

Seems like Dylan is actually having a really good career in Europe, which is interesting.

Sometimes it takes guys longer.  Sometimes it takes guys to find their niches.  Dylan has been a 40+% 3pt shooter every year in Europe but one. 

19 hours ago, bierce said:

That was a lot of nonsense originally floated by Missouri fans.

There were plenty of Arkansas fans that stated it was common knowledge in Fayetteville. Mark got dragged into those rumors which I believe were said to be untrue but there were a few constants in those rumors and Brazile was one of the consistent names at the center of those rumors.

1 hour ago, GQ03 said:

There were plenty of Arkansas fans that stated it was common knowledge in Fayetteville. Mark got dragged into those rumors which I believe were said to be untrue but there were a few constants in those rumors and Brazile was one of the consistent names at the center of those rumors.

And Mark knows better than anyone about any of it (with the possible exception of Brazile), so I suspect that Mark has told the staff whether or not we should take a prophylactic approach.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Texas won’t move forward with Brazile

ill have an update this AM … sorry long day on the road Thursday 

On the road again
Just can't wait to get on the road again
The life I love is makin' music with my friends
And I can't wait to get on the road again