What do you consider elite in college football?

21 hours ago, yoyocc said:

The standards are going to be totally different in the future. Schedules will be a step function more difficult than what we're used to. 10-2 may be the new 12-0.

9-3 could be elite if they beat Michigan and Georgia, but drop Red River and A&M games.

I will hunt you down if this happens.  We will not drop those two games.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, FrancoBevo3.0 said:

To me, if you hit or exceed 77 wins in 7 years, your program is elite. That’s an 11 wins per season average including bowl and playoff wins along the way. 

In your list, Ohio State and up are elite in my book.

But what if you have no titles to show? IMO winning a national title is what truly makes you elite. If you get to your achieved goal and have nothing to show for it then you're just underachieving. Do you currently consider Penn State elite?

Edited by Hashtag

On 5/16/2024 at 8:10 AM, Hashtag said:

But what if you have no titles to show? IMO winning a national title is what truly makes you elite. If you get to your achieved goal and have nothing to show for it then you're just underachieving. Do you currently consider Penn State elite?

Penn State isn’t on the list with 77 wins the last 7 years so no, I wouldn’t consider them elite. I don’t think you HAVE to win a national title to be considered elite. At that point, luck plays a part, but if your program has won 77 over 7 years, it’s going to be a very short list and yes, I’d consider that short list the elite of college football.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, FrancoBevo3.0 said:

Penn State isn’t on the list with 77 wins the last 7 years so no, I wouldn’t consider them elite. I don’t think you HAVE to win a national title to be considered elite. At that point, luck plays a part, but if your program has won 77 over 7 years, it’s going to be a very short list and yes, I’d consider that short list the elite of college football.

Being elite and winning titles is what separates great teams from elite teams. Plain and simple. If you don't win titles you shouldn't be considered elite. What you're describing is a good to great team, not an elite team. 

Notre Dame under Brian Kelly was good to great.
Oregon in the 2010s was good to great
Oklahoma in that same time period was good to great.

None of the above I'd consider elite.

Elite teams during that time period were Bama, Clemson, and Ohio St.

Edited by Hashtag