Texas Basketball Gets 2024 Commitment (Monday 2:05 PM)

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Neil Leininger said:

I really want Powell from Sacramento State. I am having dreams of Larry/Pope, Johnson, Mark, Kent, and Powell wrecking people on offense and switching everything on defense.

Imagine that defensive personnel with a Beard defensive system/approach...

3 minutes ago, bierce said:

Add Presley, of course.

I like how we have a large group of athletic players who can stick around and develop.  Even assuming Tre Johnson leaves early, we're still looking at having Pope, Weaver, Pryor, Codie, and Vinson return.  Powell has a couple of years left, too, so we could have about as much continuity in 2025-26 as one might hope for in the NIL era.

Doesn’t Mark have a second year?

1 minute ago, Jordan91 said:

Doesn’t Mark have a second year?

He does warrant a medical hardship for the 2021-22 season.  Even stronger core.

But I think he's a strong candidate to go pro. 

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, bierce said:

Add Presley, of course.

I like how we have a large group of athletic players who can stick around and develop.  Even assuming Tre Johnson leaves early, we're still looking at having Pope, Weaver, Presley, Pryor, Codie, and Vinson return.  Powell has a couple of years left, too, so we could have about as much continuity in 2025-26 as one might hope for in the NIL era.

Good catch. Thank you! 

I like the height/length at guard for sure! Much better for the original idea of building a Miami Canes FF roster from a couple of years ago - skill with length at different spots on the perimeter.

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)

I think Terry has shown us how well-regarded he is by Texas high school and AAU coaches.  He's brought guys who played HS ball in Texas back to Texas from Indiana State, Arkansas, Vanderbilt, and out of state basketball factories in Missouri and Virginia, as well as landing in-state recruits Johnson and Codie.  Six of eight incoming players were originally from Texas (three from the Dallas area, one from Houston area, and two from central Texas), though only one of them was playing in Texas this year. 

I like this recruiting focus. 

Edited by bierce
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, bierce said:

I think Terry has shown us how well-regarded he is by Texas high school and AAU coaches.  He's brought guys who played HS ball in Texas back to Texas from Indiana State, Arkansas, Vanderbilt, and out of state basketball factories in Missouri and Virginia, as well as landing in-state recruits Johnson and Codie.  Six of eight incoming players were originally from Texas (three from the Dallas area, one from Houston area, and two from central Texas), though only one of them was playing in Texas this year. 

I like this recruiting focus. 

He said at the Sec meetings he wanted to go high school first and then hit the portal. Not sure if he meant five stars or program players. He wanted to focus on Texas. It’s full of basketball talent every year. 

19 minutes ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Texas not expected to go after Powell

Brazile is in play a little 

Texas could opt to stay put too 

That sucks. I just don’t think it’s enough. Maybe they are out of money. I am confused as to what Texas actually wants to be basketball wise. I thought they wanted to be like Alabama. I guess they want to be competitive with the possibility of being great. Still have my season tickets though. 

6 hours ago, CJ Vogel said:

Imagine that defensive personnel with a Beard defensive system/approach...

Larry and Weaver could be one of the best defensive backcourts in the country and they’ll likely be coming off the bench for us

1 hour ago, Jordan91 said:

That sucks. I just don’t think it’s enough. Maybe they are out of money. I am confused as to what Texas actually wants to be basketball wise. I thought they wanted to be like Alabama. I guess they want to be competitive with the possibility of being great. Still have my season tickets though. 

I would hope to at least get a visit from Brazile.  He seems like a more athletic Disu with less post moves. He can run the floor, shoot the three and midrange shots decently, as well as some putbacks.  I’m not sure about his defense or block shot abilities.  I was hoping Terry would “Throw all the chips on the table” and get five premium transfers to supplement Tre.  This is Terry’s most important year.  I doubt he gets fired after this year, however he needs to show he can build a program with his own players and showcase a five star recruit so that recruit will be a lottery pick.  Failure to do so will put doubt in his program, causing less donor support and higher level recruits to go elsewhere.

I do like the addition of Vinson.  If he works hard, his frame looks like it can add muscle.  I’m just guessing, but I think he really wants to be here and is not a gun for hire.  This year he could help defend the 5 and add five more fouls to the position when needed.

3 hours ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Texas not expected to go after Powell

Brazile is in play a little 

Texas could opt to stay put too 

If we aren't going after Powell, staying put should not be an option.

• Hook 'Em 1

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Jordan91 said:

Texas definitely doesn't have unlimited $$$ in basketball. They have already put a lot into the roster for this year (Tre Johnson was a very big one). 

The Horns are competitive in the arena, but not the top 7-10 in that regard. RT needs to get to a second weekend IMO. Bama base is all in because Oats has proven he can get to a FF and possibly win it. 

But with that said, it's still all about roster building and make it work. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Texas definitely doesn't have unlimited $$$ in basketball. They have already put a lot into the roster for this year (Tre Johnson was a very big one). 

The Horns are competitive in the arena, but not the top 7-10 in that regard. RT needs to get to a second weekend IMO. Bama base is all in because Oats has proven he can get to a FF and possibly win it. 

And here I thought that fan base rallied behind him because of his willingness to continue the Bama tradition of coaches wearing hideously ugly jackets to games. 

nate oats 2.webp

nate oats 3.jpg

nate oats 4.jpg

nate oats.webp

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

That’s essentially what I thought last night. If Texas was looking for a new coach like Calapari I am certain the NIL goes up. With Terry seems like along with most fans, Texas is waiting out this year. 

10 hours ago, nakhorn93 said:

I would hope to at least get a visit from Brazile.  He seems like a more athletic Disu with less post moves. He can run the floor, shoot the three and midrange shots decently, as well as some putbacks.  I’m not sure about his defense or block shot abilities.  I was hoping Terry would “Throw all the chips on the table” and get five premium transfers to supplement Tre.  This is Terry’s most important year.  I doubt he gets fired after this year, however he needs to show he can build a program with his own players and showcase a five star recruit so that recruit will be a lottery pick.  Failure to do so will put doubt in his program, causing less donor support and higher level recruits to go elsewhere.

I do like the addition of Vinson.  If he works hard, his frame looks like it can add muscle.  I’m just guessing, but I think he really wants to be here and is not a gun for hire.  This year he could help defend the 5 and add five more fouls to the position when needed.

If they don’t have the money, I would imagine they have to convince somebody to take less. Baylor and Alabama convinced a few. Baylor won a national championship and Alabama is red hot right now though. Texas program is trending up but not there yet in my opinion. 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, CJ Vogel said:

I'm going to pull up in one of those in orange for the next OTF meet up!

If y’all have another get together for members please make Gerry wear it. I will demand he take a picture with me.

Edited by Jordan91
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CJ Vogel said:

I'm going to pull up in one of those in orange for the next OTF meet up!

The burnt orange will be fine.  The question is which and how many maximally clashing colors you will use to make the riotous plaid.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Jordan91 said:

That’s essentially what I thought last night. If Texas was looking for a new coach like Calapari I am certain the NIL goes up. With Terry seems like along with most fans, Texas is waiting out this year. 

You realize Calipari is not a good coach anymore. His offense is ancient.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Neil Leininger said:

You realize Calipari is not a good coach anymore. His offense is ancient.

He was using him as an example, as in, a name with a certain cachet would open more wallets than RT.  Terry is a nice guy, excellent assistant coach, but as our head honcho he is a drag on the program.  If we can't attract a big name coach, we'll have to hire someone who has shown the ability to do more with less.  If said coach is successful in their first couple of seasons, he'll win the money over.

• Hook 'Em 1