Creating a new rival moving to SEC?

2 minutes ago, Hookem97 said:

Which team is most likely to become the Longhorns next big rivalry moving to the SEC? Besides A&M & OU obviously. Bama, Georgia, LSU, Florida?? 

Here's one you didn't mention.  The Arkie rivalry for sure has been resurrected, even if it some people think it's more them than us.

• Hook 'Em 8

I'm old school. I rightly consider the Land Thieves, Sheep Humpers and Piggies as TX rivals. All Longhorns should. Besides these 3 classic rivalries....

I see 3 teams as more likely to become our next big rivalry....

Alabama - TX is 7-2-1 vs Bama all-time. Bama is an elite Blue Blood but has struggled vs Texas and their fans don't like hearing about it. Unfortunately, Bama is 2-1 recently. Bama injured Colt and as a result we lost the 2009 NC. Mack and TX were never the same after that loss. Bama has taken numerous top TX recruits that we needed since that NC loss. Our recent hard fought 1-1 home-away series had the excitement and intensity of a rivalry game. TX fans recognized annoying Bama and Saban were getting the best of us. Bama is now coached by DeBoer (HC record 104-12) who beat us twice including most recently a CFP semifinal. Ewers vs Milroe (TX recruit) for Heisman and NFL draft. With the new SEC CG rules, TX could meet Bama in the upcoming SEC CG and possibly the CFP.

Georgia - TX is 4-1 vs Georgia all-time. TX physically beat up on Georgia in winning the 2018 Sugar Bowl but Georgia fans shrugged it off and later won back-to-back NCs.  Way back, TX lost a heartbreaker to Georgia in the 1984 Cotton Bowl on a muffed punt in the swirling wind late in the game which cost us a damn NC. Never should have attempted to catch the punt. Georgia is the arguably the SEC top dog this year. TX hosts GA this year. We likely battle for elite recruits more than usual with our move to the SEC. Ewers vs Beck for Heisman and NFL draft. TX could face off with Georgia again in the upcoming SEC CG and possibly the CFP. Georgia is the odds on favorite to be our next big rivalry imo. And don't forget Bevo hates bulldog UGA.

LSU - TX is 9-7-1 vs LSU all-time. TX won the last meeting 35-20 in the 2003 Cotton Bowl in big part thanks to Roy Williams. TX and LSU share a border and battled for decades for countless athletic recruits. Coach Kelly is a fake; Sark is genuine like all good Texans. Bo Davis has coached both sides and recruited poorly while at Texas imo. We are now battling Bo and his TX development reputation for IDL Brown and Williams. With the new SEC CG rules, TX could meet LSU in the upcoming SEC CG and possibly the CFP. A tiger is more of a threat to Bevo than UGA.

Dark horse teams seem to be Ole Miss (Kiffen/Sark history), MO (Big 12 history), TN (Right to claim UT and OU QB HC) and maybe Florida if they upset us and get back on track soon which seems doubtful.

This season should help determine who will emerge as our next big rivalry.

We've got to beat Georgia at least once this year to get on their radar. We have more history with Bama/DeBoer than Georgia/Smart.  I will be a bit of a contrarian and say the annoying Alabama will be our next big rivalry.

But I hope it is LSU because I really enjoy good creole and cajun food.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Jerky said:

I'm old school. I rightly consider the Land Thieves, Sheep Humpers and Piggies as TX rivals. All Longhorns should. Besides these 3 classic rivalries....

I see 3 teams as more likely to become our next big rivalry....

Alabama - TX is 7-2-1 vs Bama all-time. Bama is an elite Blue Blood but has struggled vs Texas and their fans don't like hearing about it. Unfortunately, Bama is 2-1 recently. Bama injured Colt and as a result we lost the 2009 NC. Mack and TX were never the same after that loss. Bama has taken numerous top TX recruits that we needed since that NC loss. Our recent hard fought 1-1 home-away series had the excitement and intensity of a rivalry game. TX fans recognized annoying Bama and Saban were getting the best of us. Bama is now coached by DeBoer (HC record 104-12) who beat us twice including most recently a CFP semifinal. Ewers vs Milroe (TX recruit) for Heisman and NFL draft. With the new SEC CG rules, TX could meet Bama in the upcoming SEC CG and possibly the CFP.

Georgia - TX is 4-1 vs Georgia all-time. TX physically beat up on Georgia in winning the 2018 Sugar Bowl but Georgia fans shrugged it off and later won back-to-back NCs.  Way back, TX lost a heartbreaker to Georgia in the 1984 Cotton Bowl on a muffed punt in the swirling wind late in the game which cost us a damn NC. Never should have attempted to catch the punt. Georgia is the arguably the SEC top dog this year. TX hosts GA this year. We likely battle for elite recruits more than usual with our move to the SEC. Ewers vs Beck for Heisman and NFL draft. TX could face off with Georgia again in the upcoming SEC CG and possibly the CFP. Georgia is the odds on favorite to be our next big rivalry imo. And don't forget Bevo hates bulldog UGA.

LSU - TX is 9-7-1 vs LSU all-time. TX won the last meeting 35-20 in the 2003 Cotton Bowl in big part thanks to Roy Williams. TX and LSU share a border and battled for decades for countless athletic recruits. Coach Kelly is a fake; Sark is genuine like all good Texans. Bo Davis has coached both sides and recruited poorly while at Texas imo. We are now battling Bo and his TX development reputation for IDL Brown and Williams. With the new SEC CG rules, TX could meet LSU in the upcoming SEC CG and possibly the CFP. A tiger is more of a threat to Bevo than UGA.

Dark horse teams seem to be Ole Miss (Kiffen/Sark history), MO (Big 12 history), TN (Right to claim UT and OU QB HC) and maybe Florida if they upset us and get back on track soon which seems doubtful.

This season should help determine who will emerge as our next big rivalry.

We've got to beat Georgia at least once this year to get on their radar. We have more history with Bama/DeBoer than Georgia/Smart.  I will be a bit of a contrarian and say the annoying Alabama will be our next big rivalry.

But I hope it is LSU because I really enjoy good creole and cajun food.

Um, I guess you forgot LSU 2019.

• Hook 'Em 1

The easiest answer for me is LSU. The recruiting battles that have happened the last couple years with them has heated things up, and it’s going to get uglier down the road. Couple that with how close they are, it’s gonna be a good one. Colin Simmons and DK Moore already have the coon a$$e$ up in arms over us. That’s my pick 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, cafe society said:

Um, I guess you forgot LSU 2019.

Yes, accidentally posted before including the 2019 home loss to LSU, Cookie Monster A/C lies and 2020 game cancelation. Didn't see an edit button.

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)

Arch rivals are natural not forced. Our long established rivals are BlowU,Texas A&M and Arkansas 

Don’t try to force to create rivals like a$m did it joined the SEC

Edited by GoHorns1

On 6/8/2024 at 2:41 PM, BubbaJacques said:

Vanderbilt. The 'Dores own us, with a 8-3-1 all-time record vs. UT. We get our chance to start evening things up on Oct. 26 in Nashville.

When I seen that I was shocked lol 

• Hook 'Em 1

A few years ago there was a National fan base survey and 11 schools considered us their rival. 

It's safe to say our rivals are in this order:  blowu, aggy, arky, LSU, and probably Bama.  Rival hatred isn't something formed in a few years.  It takes a decade of bloodbath-style losses and wins for fans to truly hate one another.

If we're being honest, it's blowu and the rest.  aggy can eat she hat.

• Hook 'Em 1