Concerns re: 2024 Season

Everyone’s aware that defensive line depth and recruiting have been (legitimately) much discussed topics this offseason. But I find myself worried about the secondary. Although athleticism and speed have seemingly improved, I’m not sure that cohesion within the group and with the front seven are anywhere close to where they need to be in order to make a run in ‘24. 

We saw these issues ad nauseam against Washington. We saw coverage busts in the spring game, and the problem was mentioned again immediately after the guys got back earlier this month. 

I assume this was part of the reason T. Brooks decamped to Illinois. Some folks also have thrown some shade Blake Gideon’s way. 

New portal corner in the room opposite Manny, new safety Andrew M  in the room with some skins on the wall from Clemson, but can this all come together in time to fare well against SEC passing attacks and facing longer, faster WRs every week?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, 77Horn said:

New portal corner in the room opposite Manny, new safety Andrew M  in the room with some skins on the wall from Clemson, but can this all come together in time to fare well against SEC passing attacks and facing longer, faster WRs every week?

It is a good thing we don't face the good passing teams of the SEC in year one. No Missouri, no Ole Miss, no LSU, and no Bama. Georgia is ok due their scheme being ridiculous bad considering their preceived talent. Aggy, Kentucky, Florida, Mississippi State, Arkansas are all going to be bad. OU could be good, but they lost their coordinator and QB.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Agree with pass rush improvement potential. Much different room now. What I like about our defense end/pass rush group is that the main four bring different, complimentary skill sets to the table. It’s also a big bonus if Vasek stays healthy and plays like he looked in the spring game. 

9 hours ago, 77Horn said:

Everyone’s aware that defensive line depth and recruiting have been (legitimately) much discussed topics this offseason. But I find myself worried about the secondary. Although athleticism and speed have seemingly improved, I’m not sure that cohesion within the group and with the front seven are anywhere close to where they need to be in order to make a run in ‘24. 

We saw these issues ad nauseam against Washington. We saw coverage busts in the spring game, and the problem was mentioned again immediately after the guys got back earlier this month. 

I assume this was part of the reason T. Brooks decamped to Illinois. Some folks also have thrown some shade Blake Gideon’s way. 

I wonder if Brooks wasn’t more of an issue than we realized? He seemed to be out of position and lacked make up speed when thrown at deep especially. Too bad because he has such a great upside and pedigree. We’ve got some young talent and hopefully the room is more cohesive if Brooks truly didn’t want to be here. It’ll be interesting with Nansen to see how he contributes and hopefully we become a more attacking defense making plays on the ball no sitting back in coverage. Lots of question marks for sure on the defensive side. Thankfully Sark prioritizes developing talent so hopefully this group will take a leap forward after learning from the spring game. 

Is anybody other than maybe Georgia capable of exposing our secondary in a big way like a red hot 6th yr WA QB protected by a Joe Moore Award OL with 3 NFL WRs and 1 NFL TE?

We have DL depth.

9 IDL - Collins Norton Savea Lole Broughton Mitchell Bledsoe Bryant January 

6 SDE/Edge - Sorrell Burke Finkley Vasek Moore Simmons

We are clearly better at SDE/EDGE with 3 new options for the rotation. We will miss the stellar play of Murphy and Sweat but we have 9 guys to possibly rotate to stay fresh. 

3 LBs Hill Gbenda and Blackwell are proven. Only loss is Ford.

4 starting highly rated DBs are 1 yr better - Williams S Makuba S Muhammad CB Barron NB 

Cole CB and Holmes CB are fast. Taaffe S is sound. Guilbeau NB is healthy and has the confidence of the coaches. 5* Black CB and 5* Filsaime S could be ready to be contributors by  mid season or the CFP.

Offense is loaded. We know how to score. Enough said.

Bring it on. Hook Em!

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, NothinButDaHorns34 said:

Being concerned with the secondary is a very valid concern. We’re possibly going into year four of a below average secondary. I am hoping a better pass rush will help, But we can’t bank on that. There’s a reason gideon nor joseph got that raise the other coaches did. 

Secondary does seem like the only position group on the defense that hasn't improved so far....definitely a cause for concern and also kind of interesting that both of those coaches are essentially in a contract year...