Arthur Kaluma update (8:50 pm CST)

Gerry Hamilton

• Moderators

OTF is expecting Kansas State transfer PF Arthur Kaluma to have a final call/talk with Rodney Terry and staff in the next 24 hours.

SMU and Texas is where the decision will come from per a source.

SMU will have a bigger NIL package for Kaluma. Should Texas win this, it would be Kaluma buying into what Texas could be with a top 8 rotation of:

PG Julian Larry, 6-3

SG/CG Jordan Pope, 6-1

SG Tre Johnson, 6-6

SG Tramon Mark, 6-6

SG Chendall Weaver, 6-3

PF/F Jayson Kent, 6-7.5

PF Arthur Kaluma, 6-7.5

C Kadin Shedrick 6-11

• Hook 'Em 9

4 minutes ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

OTF is expecting Kansas State transfer PF Arthur Kaluma to have a final call/talk with Rodney Terry and staff in the next 24 hours.

SMU and Texas is where the decision will come from per a source.

SMU will have a bigger NIL package for Kaluma. Should Texas win this, it would be Kaluma buying into what Texas could be with a top 8 rotation of:

PG Julian Larry, 6-3

SG/CG Jordan Pope, 6-1

SG Tre Johnson, 6-6

SG Tramon Mark, 6-6

SG Chendall Weaver, 6-3

PF/F Jayson Kent, 6-7.5

PF Arthur Kaluma, 6-7.5

C Kadin Shedrick 6-11

Thanks Gerry. If he wants the money then it’s definitely a bad fit and he belongs at SMU. Probably doesn’t mean anything but Frank Haith followed him on Twitter yesterday but not today. He is still on instagram. Kaluma follows the SMU coach. 

@Gerry Hamilton is this a 50/50?

Edited by Jordan91

Just now, NothinButDaHorns34 said:

So why is it SMU is out NIL’ing us? Does rodney not see him as important to winning or another is the juice worth the squeeze situation?

Not Gerry but this came up with Toppin. SMU offered high dollars to several players that never even visited. One of those players was Hawkins. Texas is on a budget. How much is too much? Does he want to win and get paid or does he just want to get paid?

1 hour ago, NothinButDaHorns34 said:

So why is it SMU is out NIL’ing us? Does rodney not see him as important to winning or another is the juice worth the squeeze situation?

This doesn't sound like Terry not being interested as much as it sounds like Terry not being given the jack he needs.  He apparently wasn't given the money to land Toppin either. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Hashtag said:

If you're trying to land a quality player this late you're going to have to overpay....that's just how it is for now. Looking for a value player that is quality this late is a recipe for nothing.

Yeah, but there are salary caps in place too.

Texas has already gone big. Can't then go over by 500-600K on a player on top of it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Yeah, but there are salary caps in place too.

Texas has already gone big. Can't then go over by 500-600K on a player on top of it. 

He had 700,000 for Toppin and hasn’t added anyone that would take away from that. So he only has 500–600 now. 

It’s almost like Texas is trying to limit Terry in some attempt to prove he can win with less or get rid of him. I heard what the new baseball coach said. “ I don’t want a player who only wants to talk about NIL.” So Garrison, Toppin and now Kaluma only want to talk about that?

Kaluma’s comments indicate that’s not all he wanted to talk about. As I said above Kaluma has to decide if he wants to win or get paid. However, we seem to be going back to this budget nonsense. Either give Terry the little extra he needs or get rid of him and get somebody who they will give more too. This little budget BS is so freaking annoying. That’s not directed at you Gerry it’s at Texas. I don’t want to be talking about this bs every offseason. Whoever came up with this budget clearly doesn’t get how much is needed to win at a championship level, or just doesn’t want Terry to succeed. CDC is quoted as saying he wants every sport to be the best. How exactly does he expect that to happen?

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, bierce said:

This doesn't sound like Terry not being interested as much as it sounds like Terry not being given the jack he needs.  He apparently wasn't given the money to land Toppin either. 

If it was Calapari, CDC’s friend, there is no discussion. The money would be there. The transfer portal NIL and high school NIL is changing on a monthly basis. How in the world can anyone determine a budget? Who determines the budget? I feel like RT needs the guy depicted in the movie Moneyball to figure this out. RT can’t possibly tell anyone how much money he needs. It’s just here you go, now make sure you finish at the top of the conference. 

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, Jordan91 said:

He had 700,000 for Toppin and hasn’t added anyone that would take away from that. So he only has 500–600 now. 

It’s almost like Texas is trying to limit Terry in some attempt to prove he can win with less or get rid of him. I heard what the new baseball coach said. “ I don’t want a player who only wants to talk about NIL.” So Garrison, Toppin and now Kaluma only want to talk about that?

Kaluma’s comments indicate that’s not all he wanted to talk about. As I said above Kaluma has to decide if he wants to win or get paid. However, we seem to be going back to this budget nonsense. Either give Terry the little extra he needs or get rid of him and get somebody who they will give more too. This little budget BS is so freaking annoying. That’s not directed at you Gerry it’s at Texas. I don’t want to be talking about this bs every offseason. Whoever came up with this budget clearly doesn’t get how much is needed to win at a championship level, or just doesn’t want Terry to succeed. CDC is quoted as saying he wants every sport to be the best. How exactly does he expect that to happen?

Texas isn’t limiting RT , but he doesn’t have unlimited funds

Texas has already had a big NIL spend on this team

There is also the team aspect of it , and how it factors in 

Salaray cap is reality too 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Texas isn’t limiting RT , but he doesn’t have unlimited funds

Texas has already had a big NIL spend on this team

There is also the team aspect of it , and how it factors in 

Salaray cap is reality too 

I get it Gerry, frustrating to talk about though. If the team isn’t comfortable I have no problem with that. Here is a question though. Let’s say the team stays as is. Texas has a good year, but it becomes obvious that they absolutely needed one more forward. Whose fault is that? They don’t pay Toppin or Kaluma in this case. Is it on RT? 

Also, who is at fault for not paying Garrison? Do they let RT slide because he says the players didn’t want him? 

Whatever is being said behind close doors is coming off as RT needs to do more with less. How can Texas possibly know if Garrison, Toppin and (we don’t know this yet) Kaluma are going to turn into show me the money at the very end of their recruitment? They can’t possibly know that. 

1 minute ago, Jordan91 said:

I get it Gerry, frustrating to talk about though. If the team isn’t comfortable I have no problem with that. Here is a question though. Let’s say the team stays as is. Texas has a good year, but it becomes obvious that they absolutely needed one more forward. Whose fault is that? They don’t pay Toppin or Kaluma in this case. Is it on RT? 

Also, who is at fault for not paying Garrison? Do they let RT slide because he says the players didn’t want him? 

Whatever is being said behind close doors is coming off as RT needs to do more with less. How can Texas possibly know if Garrison, Toppin and (we don’t know this yet) Kaluma are going to turn into show me the money at the very end of their recruitment? They can’t possibly know that. 

You are an idoit of the highest order. How many times does Gerry have to tell you, Texas and Terry have invested millions in NIL on this team? They are not taking on a guy that is going to make more in NIL that Tre Johnson, you they spent nearly a million on. You keep asking the same question different ways, and Gerry gives you the same answer. Were you dropped on your head as a baby, or is being obtsue your thing?

It boils down to this.

Donors can put money into the pool and make it sport specific or they can make a general donation.  An independent board oversees the pool and allots money from the general fund as it sees fit.  That board undoubtedly listens when CDC speaks, but it is not required to follow his direction. 

Texas had a pretty decently sized pool for NIL, but it needed to fill 9 roster spots, and it doesn't have a pool as large as that of Arkansas, Kentucky, or probably 15 or so other schools that are all in on basketball.  Terry has no control over the size of the NIL pool for basketball, but I don't think there is some kind of conspiracy among the board or the athletic department to limit the basketball pool because our coach is named Rodney Terry.  I think it is just what it is.  X dollars were specifically donated for men's basketball.  The general fund had Y dollars do be apportioned among 30 or so athletic programs, many of which do not allow for enough scholarships for everyone.  The basketball program was given Z dollars out of the general fund.  While I don't doubt there may be big money donors who would shell out more and make the donation men's basketball specific if we hired a different coach, that isn't something the university can control.  BMDs will do BMD things. 

I'm not fussed if we miss out on Kaluma for the myriad of reasons I posited in other threads but to which I will now add, he ain't a Timmy Allen.  Just look at his career fga, assist, turnover numbers.  Allen had 3.5 fga per assist and far more assists than turnovers, while Kaluma is around 6.8 fga/assist and more turnovers than assists.  Allen was a point forward at Utah who came to Texas to be just another guy on a tournament team, and his time with the ball on offense dropped dramatically, and he took just 35 threes in his two years here.  Kaluma left an Elite Eight team that was certain to return to the tournament because it was obvious he was going to be third option behind Scheierman and Trey Alexander on offense, and he takes about 40% of his shots from the arc, where he has never proven to be a plus shooter.  I would be surprised if he is willing become just another cog, and while we need a quality back-up behind Kent, I don't think we're better off by giving minutes from Kent and Johnson to Kaluma. 

I'll keep to my line of thinking that we will find a cheaper alternative and still credible back-up four. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Neil Leininger said:

You are an idoit of the highest order. How many times does Gerry have to tell you, Texas and Terry have invested millions in NIL on this team? They are not taking on a guy that is going to make more in NIL that Tre Johnson, you they spent nearly a million on. You keep asking the same question different ways, and Gerry gives you the same answer. Were you dropped on your head as a baby, or is being obtsue your thing?

Omg I am? I have to be because you said it. Bro I am not going anywhere. Is this what you do? Call people names and they go away? Not me. A grasshopper’s opinion of me, means more than yours. Sucking up to Gerry doesn’t really get you anything. I go way back with Gerry and have met him in person. He’s more than capable of sending me a PM or telling me right here. He knows I can handle it. Well that was a wasted 45 seconds responding to a moron. Have to go now, don’t worry not going anywhere. Have a great day. Have a better one tomorrow. 

You are also wrong about Texas adding to the roster. Vinson was added after Toppin signed with Tech. So again, you just complain without understanding the full story. Vinson likely took some of the money that they had allocated for Toppin, which makes natural sense that the remaining dollars is less than what it was before, but please, by all means continue to show your ass on every basketball thread with the same tired posts.

Edited by Neil Leininger

14 minutes ago, bierce said:

It boils down to this.

Donors can put money into the pool and make it sport specific or they can make a general donation.  An independent board oversees the pool and allots money from the general fund as it sees fit.  That board undoubtedly listens when CDC speaks, but it is not required to follow his direction. 

Texas had a pretty decently sized pool for NIL, but it needed to fill 9 roster spots, and it doesn't have a pool as large as that of Arkansas, Kentucky, or probably 15 or so other schools that are all in on basketball.  Terry has no control over the size of the NIL pool for basketball, but I don't think there is some kind of conspiracy among the board or the athletic department to limit the basketball pool because our coach is named Rodney Terry.  I think it is just what it is.  X dollars were specifically donated for men's basketball.  The general fund had Y dollars do be apportioned among 30 or so athletic programs, many of which do not allow for enough scholarships for everyone.  The basketball program was given Z dollars out of the general fund.  While I don't doubt there may be big money donors who would shell out more and make the donation men's basketball specific if we hired a different coach, that isn't something the university can control.  BMDs will do BMD things. 

I'm not fussed if we miss out on Kaluma for the myriad of reasons I posited in other threads but to which I will now add, he ain't a Timmy Allen.  Just look at his career fga, assist, turnover numbers.  Allen had 3.5 fga per assist and far more assists than turnovers, while Kaluma is around 6.8 fga/assist and more turnovers than assists.  Allen was a point forward at Utah who came to Texas to be just another guy on a tournament team, and his time with the ball on offense dropped dramatically, and he took just 35 threes in his two years here.  Kaluma left an Elite Eight team that was certain to return to the tournament because it was obvious he was going to be third option behind Scheierman and Trey Alexander on offense, and he takes about 40% of his shots from the arc, where he has never proven to be a plus shooter.  I would be surprised if he is willing become just another cog, and while we need a quality back-up behind Kent, I don't think we're better off by giving minutes from Kent and Johnson to Kaluma. 

I'll keep to my line of thinking that we will find a cheaper alternative and still credible back-up four. 

He’s a career 31% three point shooter. His comments though indicate he is being sold the Timmy Allen role. Seems like a good kid, from his comments about his visit. I can’t fault him for wanting more. As schools NIL money rises it could literally take the second round of the NBA draft away, or severely diminish the talent in it. Where did K State get their money? Hawkins was a private doner, “reportedly.” KD has the money. I think he has done more than enough though for basketball and football. 

Here’s an example. Let’s say Archie Manning is visiting. He has the same talent, but not wealthy family money, so let’s make his last name Smith. If he comes in talking about nothing but NIL. Does football walk away? I don’t think they do. Sark probably tries to get him to talk about other things. Maybe he does walk away. What if BMDs say no take him? I answered my own question. That’s where culture kicks in. I imagine if Texas absolutely needed a player for true success, the money will be there. Still excited about next year’s team regardless of how this ends up. 

13 minutes ago, Jordan91 said:

Here’s an example. Let’s say Archie Manning is visiting. He has the same talent, but not wealthy family money, so let’s make his last name Smith. If he comes in talking about nothing but NIL. Does football walk away? I don’t think they do. Sark probably tries to get him to talk about other things. Maybe he does walk away. What if BMDs say no take him? I answered my own question.

Your analogy fails because Kaluma is not Arch Manning Smith. Not the same sport, not the same talent.

Of course football is treated differently. This is still going to be a competitive basketball team, and perhaps a very good one.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, BobInHouston said:

Your analogy fails because Kaluma is not Arch Manning Smith. Not the same sport, not the same talent.

Of course football is treated differently. This is still going to be a competitive basketball team, and perhaps a very good one.

I agree it will be. Actually Archie Smith. And at the bottom I said this. I imagine if Texas absolutely needed a player for true success, the money will be there. Still excited about next year’s team regardless of how this ends up