Revisiting a Convo From Late June (Friday 11:44 a.m.)

• Moderators

A source indicated to me after the official visits that a name to keep an eye as the season and cycle progressed would be Lovejoy's Daylan McCutcheon.

Texas of course just lost on the sweepstakes of five-star Dakorien Moore and while there will be another shot later in December for his signature, the Longhorns must now pivot on the WR front.

McCutcheon is the next guy on the board for the Longhorns with the group of Kaliq Lockett, Kelshaun Johnson and Jaime Ffrench still looking at decisions.

While a decision for McCutcheon is set to come July 13 – with Florida State being the leader – I am reminded of this conversation I had a few weeks ago about how the wide receiving group could shake up later on this year.

• Hook 'Em 10

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, dwmundy said:

I really think McCutcheon is a great prospect. In most years, he could be a WR1 type. If he’s our 3rd or 4th WR then I’m extremely happy, even with losing Moore

I am a huge fan of Daylan's game. He is as savvy a route runner you will find in-state this cycle. The question always has been what is that straight-line top speed compared to other targets. He doesn't have that 10.4 speed like a Kelshaun or a DK Moore.

Posted (edited)

Overall, wide receiver is not a major concern to me in recruiting, it’s missing on high value targets. DK was in our own backyard and a heavy Texas lean for over a year. Swooped up in the last couple weeks along with Sharma in the 11th hour.

Bobby said this morning on Coffee and Football one recruit doesn’t define a class. It’s almost like ignoring there is an issue of some sort at the moment. We all understand that one recruit doesn’t define a team, but this has been more than one in the last couple weeks. If it’s not money what is it? Message not resonating with recruits, just using Texas to drive up price. I believe it has to do with money more than anything. Staff refusing to go over that certain threshold. Just because a kid wants to get paid in this era doesn’t mean he is not a culture fit. I realize some will fall into that category but, you can’t use that excuse every time you get money whipped and just say, he wanted NIL not a culture fit. Regardless whether Texas likes where the market is you are going to have to pay for some needs. On the flip side if it’s not a money issue as some have suggested it’s not, then where do you look? I don’t think any of us know the reason for the latest recruiting hiccup, but time will tell I suppose .

Edited by K. Baughman
  • Hook 'Em 1

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, justwinbaby said:

There are plenty of talented receivers out there besides DK Moore.  Texas needs to get up off the ground and get back to it, it’s what you do when you get knocked down that matters the most.

Exactly. They will be just fine.

Posted (edited)

A kid looking at college wants to spread his wings a little—NIL makes it even more enticing.  Year one in Austin may have been too close to home.

Let’s see how Moore deals with the travel and weather in the north with a redshirt QB after Gabriel leaves.  The shine of Eugene Oregon will tarnish soon enough.

Good luck to him.

I did not mean to revisit DK’s decision.  Just saying that this could happen again, and why.  Truthfully I’m a bit gunshy now and feel a bit cynical about NIL and college football recruiting in general.

Edited by Lavalulu