Mike Gundy …

By all accounts, Gundy is a smart coach with no filter on his mouth and not much sense of society beyond the gridiron. His first instinct was to rally around his ball player.  But he could have done so without defending the act of drunk driving. 

Like Jordan, above, it has been many decades since I have driven impaired, and I and those around me were fortunate that there were no negative consequences.  My son has been in recovery and sober for 37 years now, but he caused two collisions before that. In one, he wrecked his mother's daily driver, in another he wrecked both her next daily driver and the Cadillac he hit head on on South Congress.   A former son-in-law has never attempted sobriety and has had close scrapes with death and destruction, including a long hospital stretch after he turned over his boss's truck.

Frankly, I have been too close to these situations to write off drunk driving as a normalized or even marginally acceptable behavior.  Accepting, as I do, human frailty, I can only ask this:

If you have ever driven impaired, I implore you to never do so again.  

• Hook 'Em 5