Texas Basketball 2024-25 Thread

3 hours ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

There is also a feeling that Kadin Shedrick has taken some big steps now that he's healthy and can fully work in S&C and skill work. 

Maybe that Louisville game was a sneak peak into what he's capable of and not just a one-off...??

3 hours ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Texas staff just really loves what they have seen from Julian Larry thus far. 

Love his game based on watching a few full games on ESPN+ after he and Kent committed. Love both their games and the entire Indiana State team was a really fun watch. I'm hopeful that Larry/Kent/Weaver can provide a similar mentality that the bench group of Rice/Bishop/Brock did for that '22-23 team. 

• Hook 'Em 3

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, GQ03 said:

Love his game based on watching a few full games on ESPN+ after he and Kent committed. Love both their games and the entire Indiana State team was a really fun watch. I'm hopeful that Larry/Kent/Weaver can provide a similar mentality that the bench group of Rice/Bishop/Brock did for that '22-23 team. 

Definitely think they can …

Im very interested to see who starts at guard - not that it truly matters as five guys will play 20+ mins … Larry is the pure team running PG of the guards 

• Hook 'Em 3

41 minutes ago, GQ03 said:

I mentioned Larry as a legit recruiting target on the same day the Indiana State coach left and everyone hit the portal.  I'm so glad we got him.

I'm not all that surprised that three Indiana State starters moved on to P5 programs while Avila (the hyped star) decided to stay away from a P5 conference (football P4 plus Big East).  Kent and Larry came here.  Conwell went to Xavier.  Swope ( a sub 6 foot guard) joined Avila in St. Louis with the former coach.  Avila had really impressive stat lines for the season and had a really good a/t ratio, but I always saw a guy that was kind of slow and would likely be exposed playing against a higher level of competition.  He had great a/t numbers in the post-season and a really good game against Utah in the NIT semifinals, but otherwise he had very pedestrian numbers against P6 programs in 2023-24.  Maybe those teams specifically designed their defenses to stop him, or maybe he's just kind of slow and lacking in athleticism.  Or both.

• Moderators
9 hours ago, bierce said:

I mentioned Larry as a legit recruiting target on the same day the Indiana State coach left and everyone hit the portal.  I'm so glad we got him.

I'm not all that surprised that three Indiana State starters moved on to P5 programs while Avila (the hyped star) decided to stay away from a P5 conference (football P4 plus Big East).  Kent and Larry came here.  Conwell went to Xavier.  Swope ( a sub 6 foot guard) joined Avila in St. Louis with the former coach.  Avila had really impressive stat lines for the season and had a really good a/t ratio, but I always saw a guy that was kind of slow and would likely be exposed playing against a higher level of competition.  He had great a/t numbers in the post-season and a really good game against Utah in the NIT semifinals, but otherwise he had very pedestrian numbers against P6 programs in 2023-24.  Maybe those teams specifically designed their defenses to stop him, or maybe he's just kind of slow and lacking in athleticism.  Or both.

Talked to an NBA scout recently… the thought headed into this season:

Conwell - NBA real possibility 

Larry and Kent - good overseas contract players … based on early returns in Austin, that is fitting 

• Hook 'Em 2

Last year I thought weaver had both the athleticism and the mentality to be a high level NBA player in the future if he improved his shooting and overall offensive game. Any thoughts on his upside and where he has improved most this offseason?

• Hook 'Em 4

• Moderators
4 hours ago, GJH said:

Last year I thought weaver had both the athleticism and the mentality to be a high level NBA player in the future if he improved his shooting and overall offensive game. Any thoughts on his upside and where he has improved most this offseason?

I too think Weaver will work/will his way into a career in basketball. I lean to overseas... two keys for me - ability to play off the dribble and has to become a 36-37% college three-point shooter

• Hook 'Em 5

6 hours ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

I too think Weaver will work/will his way into a career in basketball. I lean to overseas... two keys for me - ability to play off the dribble and has to become a 36-37% college three-point shooter

He's at his best right now in broken-floor situations, and, defensively, making athletic plays. He has to be able to produce when things are relatively calm. He did that some at UTA, but of course it's a different level of game at Texas.

• Hook 'Em 2

Weaver was deadly from the arc at UT-Arlington.  Sample wasn't huge, but .379 on the season and .440 in conference are pretty good numbers.

I'm still curious about the coaching staff's opinion about his perimeter shooting struggles last year.  I saw some total bricks and I saw some good looking shots that went in and out, but mostly I saw him standing unguarded on the arc and not getting a pass.  That couldn't be good for his mindset.

So was it a confidence thing?  Bigger, better opponents?  Faster game?  Nerves?  Picked up a bad habit?  Or just that he really isn't a good shooter and his teammates learned that from watching him in practice? 

• Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

His only shot at the NBA is a backup CG, and he's never shown the ability to run an offense and likely will never get that chance at Texas. Now he may go overseas and get that chance and can try to come back in a few years if he's successful. 6'3" athletic guards are a dime a dozen in the NBA, you have to have skill to stick.

Edited by Neil Leininger

On 7/10/2024 at 12:15 PM, bierce said:

This is almost like an invitation.

Texas State Highway 117 was the designation of two planned but canceled routes, the first from the Oklahoma boarder to Claude, and the second from Pleasanton to Karnes City.  The original would have gone through Borger, the ultimate oil boom town of the 20s . . . 

Nah, I'm too busy with other things to start one of these. 

I did find it highly educational. Didn’t get us PJ Washington though. I gave up a hand for Tre. 

5 hours ago, bierce said:

Weaver was deadly from the arc at UT-Arlington.  Sample wasn't huge, but .379 on the season and .440 in conference are pretty good numbers.

I'm still curious about the coaching staff's opinion about his perimeter shooting struggles last year.  I saw some total bricks and I saw some good looking shots that went in and out, but mostly I saw him standing unguarded on the arc and not getting a pass.  That couldn't be good for his mindset.

So was it a confidence thing?  Bigger, better opponents?  Faster game?  Nerves?  Picked up a bad habit?  Or just that he really isn't a good shooter and his teammates learned that from watching him in practice? 

If I remember correctly he excelled from the corner threes but feel off, percentage wise, at the top. 

Edited by Jordan91

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Hookem3 said:

Sounds like it’s going to be hard to keep weaver off the floor. This team is so deep, I wonder how the rotations will look beyond the starting lineup

Staff has a very difficult job on that IMO

Five guards that will all command 20 minutes, and more. Tre Johnson will be a very featured player and likely a 27-28 minute guy ... especially in the SEC play and post season. 

• Hook 'Em 4

20 hours ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Staff has a very difficult job on that IMO

Five guards that will all command 20 minutes, and more. Tre Johnson will be a very featured player and likely a 27-28 minute guy ... especially in the SEC play and post season. 

So you're saying once is not enough?  We need double OT in most games?  Sales of beer, blood pressure medicine, and hair color should skyrocket.  And better have a lot more t-shirts ready for lucky fans to catch.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/13/2024 at 8:40 PM, bierce said:

Love Weaver. His attitude and demeanor are ruthless and relentless. Helps him make up for a general lack of size and natural basketball talent while having extreme athleticism.

Tre will take the most shots--rightfully so. If it works like we hope that will open up the floor some for Larry and Marks to score. Kaluma is kind of a wild card

This is all where coaching comes in. The last month of last season was superb with regards to coaching--especially on defense. 

In basketball it takes three high level performers to be a high level team. This holds true at all levels of play from young kids to the NBA. That is three of the best whatever level you are playing at have to offer. We have 1 for sure in Tre...a few guys like Marks might be a second. A third? not sure yet because they weren't high level at any level they played at but things can change and improve

Two guys (Tre and Marks per se) make you an above average team but not elite. One guy (Tre) makes you average.

Then comes coaching these talents.......

As you were discussing earlier....Terry's job doesn't come down to what place we finish in SEC or tourney seeding. Just like the baseball situation it will come down to team chemistry and the inner workings on the team itself. We won't hear much about this unless it becomes an issue (like baseball and the dismissal of Pierce)

College basketball isn't what it was a few years ago. Its an art now as we observed with the last two national championships by UCONN, what Beard put together quickly at Texas before his departure, BYUs coach going from Provo to Lexington, Baylors historic decade +long run, Kansas's always lethal reload, Fews success at Gonzaga etc.

Texas has all the money, athletes, infrastructure, and general attributes to attract the highest talent each year. This will be what ultimately defines success for this staff or whoever is next.

Anyone looking at college basketball through the lens of 2020ish might as well throw those glasses away.

The roster build last season was marginally successful. Let's see what how this one compares to others in these "way too early" polls? Should be a really fun season for our guys and the country.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, JohnGalt said:

Love Weaver. His attitude and demeanor are ruthless and relentless. Helps him make up for a general lack of size and natural basketball talent while having extreme athleticism.

Tre will take the most shots--rightfully so. If it works like we hope that will open up the floor some for Larry and Marks to score. Kaluma is kind of a wild card

This is all where coaching comes in. The last month of last season was superb with regards to coaching--especially on defense. 

In basketball it takes three high level performers to be a high level team. This holds true at all levels of play from young kids to the NBA. That is three of the best whatever level you are playing at have to offer. We have 1 for sure in Tre...a few guys like Marks might be a second. A third? not sure yet because they weren't high level at any level they played at but things can change and improve

Two guys (Tre and Marks per se) make you an above average team but not elite. One guy (Tre) makes you average.

Then comes coaching these talents.......

As you were discussing earlier....Terry's job doesn't come down to what place we finish in SEC or tourney seeding. Just like the baseball situation it will come down to team chemistry and the inner workings on the team itself. We won't hear much about this unless it becomes an issue (like baseball and the dismissal of Pierce)

College basketball isn't what it was a few years ago. Its an art now as we observed with the last two national championships by UCONN, what Beard put together quickly at Texas before his departure, BYUs coach going from Provo to Lexington, Baylors historic decade +long run, Kansas's always lethal reload, Fews success at Gonzaga etc.

Texas has all the money, athletes, infrastructure, and general attributes to attract the highest talent each year. This will be what ultimately defines success for this staff or whoever is next.

Anyone looking at college basketball through the lens of 2020ish might as well throw those glasses away.

The roster build last season was marginally successful. Let's see what how this one compares to others in these "way too early" polls? Should be a really fun season for our guys and the country.

Man, you said a lot but failed to mention Jordan Pope who I think will be an awesome player for Texas. He's pretty close to a 1-to-1 comparison to Abmas & Carr of the last two teams. I think he'll be an elite player for us as well but the way he, Tre & Tramon gel and develop chemistry will determine if we look like a well-oiled machine on the perimeter or if its just three talented guys trying to go 1 on 1 each time down the court. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, GQ03 said:

Man, you said a lot but failed to mention Jordan Pope who I think will be an awesome player for Texas. He's pretty close to a 1-to-1 comparison to Abmas & Carr of the last two teams. I think he'll be an elite player for us as well but the way he, Tre & Tramon gel and develop chemistry will determine if we look like a well-oiled machine on the perimeter or if its just three talented guys trying to go 1 on 1 each time down the court. 

very well could be a third option too!!

My point was just that it will take 3 to be elite. Only true elite player that we have right now is Tre

This will be the fun part finding out if we have 2 more.....

Just now, JohnGalt said:

very well could be a third option too!!

My point was just that it will take 3 to be elite. Only true elite player that we have right now is Tre

This will be the fun part finding out if we have 2 more.....

Tre has the highest reputation but until he does it at this level he's more of an unknown for me than Pope or Mark. Now, if he lives up to the hype and becomes that clear 1st option while blending well with Pope (who I would rank ahead of Mark offensively) and Mark then as you mentioned we will be well on our way to a good to great season. If Kaluma can figure some things out and join the party then watch the hell out!!

• Hook 'Em 2

On 7/10/2024 at 1:06 PM, Gerry Hamilton said:

Texas Longhorns 2024-25 Roster - Final
CG Jordan Pope, 6-1, junior (Oregon St transfer - 17.6 PPG, 2.6 rebs, 3.4 assists, 45.1% FG, 37.1% from 3 (66-178) & 87.9% FT)
What OTF is hearing: Shot creator off the bounce, shot maker, mixing in very well with the guards assembled. Expected be top 2-3 shooter/scorer on the team.

PG Julian Larry, 6-3, senior (Indiana St transfer - 11.0 PPG, 2.8 rebs, 3.8 assists, 1.5 steals, 52.5% FG, 46.2% from 3 (42-91) & 78.0% FT)
What OTF is hearing: Very much an under control, steady point guard. Sees the floor. Has easily transitioned to the longer and better athletes on the floor. Makes open shots on the perimeter. 

SG Chendall Weaver, 6-3, junior (2023-24 - 6.2 PPG, 3.0 rebs, 0.6 assists, 49.0% FG, 23.7% from three (9-38), 74.0% FT)
What OTF is hearing: Will not be denied. Showing great deal of improvement in all-around game, with the understanding he still has a pretty high ceiling to reach in that regard. Game has slowed down for him. Best athlete in the program. Ultimate competitor. 

SG Tre Johnson, 6-6, freshman 
What OTF is hearing: As advertised. He's earned the respect of his teammates by how competitive he is, and how hard he works. High level scorer, tremendous footwork that has led to shooting a high percentage on the perimeter in workouts against experienced college guards. A first round NBA draft pick, and potential lottery selection in the 2025 NBA Draft. 

SG Tramon Mark, 6-6, senior (Arkansas transfer - 16.2 PPG, 4.3 rebs, 1.8 assists, 48.0% FG, 36.4% from three (36-99) & 80.4% FT)
What OTF is hearing: Mentioned above. 

G/Wing Malik Presley, 6-6, sophomore (Vanderbilt transfer - 2.2 PPG, 1.6 rebs, 0.5 assists, 42.9% FG, 2-16 from 3, 46.7% FT)
What OTF is hearing: Solid role player. Sneaky athletic. Can be a presence defensively on the perimeter due to length. Comfortable finishing in the paint with long arms all round his vision. 

SF Devon Pryor, 6-7, sophomore (2023-24 - 0.7 PPG, 1.0 rebs in seven games played)
What OTF is hearing: Maybe second to Weaver in overall athletic testing. Has the bounce, quickness, wingspan, skill and can make shots on the perimeter. His role will likely be defined by how much he matches the physicality required. 

F Jayson Kent, 6-7.5, senior (Indiana St transfer - 13.5 PPG, 8.1 rebs, 0.6 assists, 63.9% FG, 36.6% from three (30-82) & 83.7% FT)
What OTF is hearing: Very, very good all-around player at the college four. Making contested perimeter shots. Plays as well without the ball as anyone on the team. Makes a lot of winning plays. 

PF Arthur Kaluma, 6-7, senior (Kansas St transfer - 14.4 points, 7.0 rebounds, 2.0 assists, 42.7% FG, 34.5% from three (51-148) and 74.7% FT)
What OTF is hearing: On campus with the team. Will begin workouts soon. 

C Kadin Shedrick, 6-11, senior (2023-24 - 7.7 PPG, 3.0 rebs, 0.5 assists, 1.1 blks, 59.2% FG, 3-8 from three & 72.4% FT) 
What OTF is hearing: Much healthier, which is key. Expected to play with more freedom this season. In better playing shape now vs. last year. Seen as a good fit with the Texas guards. 

PF/C  Ze'rik Onyema, 6-8, senior (2023-24 - 3.3 PPG, 2.2 rebs, 0.7 blks, 54.5% FG & 71.4% FT)
What OTF is hearing: Will be the backup five man. His willingness to work to improve is noted - especially to the point of being counted on defensively in switching situations. 

PF Nic Codie, 6-9, freshman 
What OTF is hearing: Still rehabbing knee. That's where this one is at. 

C Jamie Vinson, 6-10, freshman 
What OTF is hearing: Texas likes the early returns here in terms of what he can develop into as a rebounder and rim protector. 

Great update

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, GQ03 said:

Tre has the highest reputation but until he does it at this level he's more of an unknown for me than Pope or Mark. Now, if he lives up to the hype and becomes that clear 1st option while blending well with Pope (who I would rank ahead of Mark offensively) and Mark then as you mentioned we will be well on our way to a good to great season. If Kaluma can figure some things out and join the party then watch the hell out!!

Tre has the traits and draft-able potential right away...... but you have to play a year. (dumb rule)

but you are correct on others. They may develop. I hope so, but so far that hasn't happened under our current coach. No draft picks from his pure (no Beard) season.

Could change quickly tho.... probably will with Tre