College football will now be 105 scholarships

I'm surprised by this. I thought there was concern about  lowering the scholarship limit in a cost cutting maneuver. Adding 20 scholarships means at least one more scholarship at every position.

Does this mean the blue bloods will take an increased percentage of top recruits or that more schools will go hard at one or two top recruits with the focus being playing time.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Wow!

This is a game changer.  I do anticipate that this will dramatically increase transfers to the portal in the future.

• Hook 'Em 4

The rich get richer. I expect Texas and the better teams to offer more recruits earlier and increase their roster size by taking a combo of more recruits and transfer portals. The teams that develop well will have an advantage. The portal desperation should be lessened to some degree since fewer teams should have gaping holes. The difference makers as recruits and transfers will still command a premium.

Some history on scholarship limits....In the 60s, the better teams like Texas were able to stockpile recruits because there were no scholarship limits. Texas had a junior varsity team when freshmen couldn't  play varsity. Believe that changed in 1972 allowing freshmen to play varsity. 

In 1973, the first scholarship limits were imposed, capping them at 105, largely to meet the demands of the new Title IX law. In 1978, limits were cut again, from 105 to 95. From 1992 to 1994, they were cut once more from 95 to the present day limit of 85 scholarships.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Jerky said:

The rich get richer. I expect Texas and the better teams to offer more recruits earlier and increase their roster size by taking a combo of more recruits and transfer portals. The teams that develop well will have an advantage. The portal desperation should be lessened to some degree since fewer teams should have gaping holes. The difference makers as recruits and transfers will still command a premium.

Some history on scholarship limits....In the 60s, the better teams like Texas were able to stockpile recruits because there were no scholarship limits. Texas had a junior varsity team when freshmen couldn't  play varsity. Believe that changed in 1972 allowing freshmen to play varsity. 

In 1973, the first scholarship limits were imposed, capping them at 105, largely to meet the demands of the new Title IX law. In 1978, limits were cut again, from 105 to 95. From 1992 to 1994, they were cut once more from 95 to the present day limit of 85 scholarships.

We have come full circle......amazing!  Welcome to the Wild West!  SEC and Big10 need to put some guardrails (salary caps, etc.) on this before the toothpaste cannot be put back in the tube.

3 hours ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

But no walk-ons are allowed, correct?  The 105 is the total squad limit, yes? @Gerry Hamilton

Edited by southpaw
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Confused 1

52 minutes ago, Adam Lane said:

This is a game changer.  I do anticipate that this will dramatically increase transfers to the portal in the future.

You got that right,  the portal is going to be insane.  

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, horns96 said:

…and how the hell will this be implemented?  Add 20 scholarships in one year? That will be like an infusion of ~40 new players next year.

Next recruiting cycle will be a free for all.  I cannot image all schools will instantly jump to 105.  That would entail taking quite a bit of sub level talent or project players.  

Think about it:  It would mean basically 800 additional players just to fill the SEC & Big10 rosters alone!!!!! 😳😳😳

That would be on top of the annual current recruiting numbers of 1000 players in an average year's recruiting class for the two conferences.  Now add in the ACC and the Big12.  

Not enough high level talent to feed that appetite in one year.  OOOOFFFFF!!!!!

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Adam Lane said:

Next recruiting cycle will be a free for all.  I cannot image all schools will instantly jump to 105.  That would entail taking quite a bit of sub level talent or project players.  

Think about it:  It would mean basically 800 additional players just to fill the SEC & Big10 rosters alone!!!!! 😳😳😳

That would be on top of the annual current recruiting numbers of 1000 players in an average year's recruiting class for the two conferences.  Now add in the ACC and the Big12.  

Not enough high level talent to feed that appetite in one year.  OOOOFFFFF!!!!!

Dan Lemming says "Hold my beer". 

• Haha 3